The Price of a German Shepherd - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: How much did you pay for your German Shepherd?
$5,000+ 8 1.31%
$3,500 - $5,000 9 1.47%
$2000 - $3,499 60 9.80%
$1500 - $1999 115 18.79%
$1000 - $1499 122 19.93%
$50 - $999 292 47.71%
Free 46 7.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 612. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

R.D. was suppose to be $2000 and Mia was suppose to be $2,500. Breeder felt sorry for me that my 10 yr old GS had just died and I broke into tears when I saw R.D. I could only afford $1500 at the time so he cut $500. With Mia, he was so happy with how we take care of R.D., he immediately told me he was cutting the price for us. He is an amazing breeder and is always asking how they are doing. I spend $120 for food per month. I don't even want to keep track of other expenses. Just spend $500 at the vet for 3 year rabies for each of them and their regular check-up.
drosado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm still breaking into a monthly routine. His food is $50-$70/mo right now including supplements. We haven't yet decided which brand to go with food wise. The current brand we use costs about $60 for a 30lb bag. Eek, expensive. His toys we probably spend $20-30/mo on.

The local Schutzhund clubs charge anywhere from $150/yr to $400/yr + monthly fees. I know you have to be a member of the United States Schutzhund Club which is around $100/yr to be a member of the Schutzhund clubs. Training varies based on the trainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
Man- I didn't see that this was a public poll. Why is it necessary to see who voted for which option???
WHOOPS. I must have accidentally clicked that when trying to check the "enable multiple options" box. Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAYDA View Post
To much unnecessary information IMO
All I can say is it has been worth every cent and I will be doing it again..
The point of the thread is to give people a good idea of what it costs before they get into it. I just recently had a friend who adopted a large dog to save money but then realized she couldn't afford to pay for his food and toys. She had to give him back within 3 months. A lot of people come here searching for information on German Shepherds and while they are PRICELESS some people jump in without thinking about the financial obligation of caring for a living creature.

Last edited by ladyfreckles; 01-20-2012 at 03:44 PM.
ladyfreckles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I don't really know what I spend on food, toys, supplies, training, and vet bills in a year and I probably don't want to know!

Keefer was $1500. The breeder covered the shipping costs from Oregon.

Halo was $1200. The breeder covered 1/2 of of the $230 shipping cost from Connecticut, so she was $1315 total.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
I don't really know what I spend on food, toys, supplies, training, and vet bills in a year and I probably don't want to know!
I don't think I even want to know about yearly training costs, haha.

Quote:

Keefer was $1500. The breeder covered the shipping costs from Oregon.

Halo was $1200. The breeder covered 1/2 of of the $230 shipping cost from Connecticut, so she was $1315 total.
What is it with shipping dogs and being so expensive? A 70lb suitcase is $25 to put down below. A 60lb dog cost my friend $200. Why.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Cargo just costs more. I've heard of shipping being quite a bit more than that, I was actually surprised that it was only $230 all the way across the country. It would have cost us a lot more to fly out there and get her. Keep in mind that the price to ship a puppy may include the price of the crate too. I don't think there was anything added on for Halo's crate because it wasn't new, but I returned it anyway since she was kind enough to offer to pay half the shipping. I also sent back Keefer's shipping crate once he outgrew it.

When we got Dena, we flew up to Oregon (same breeder as Keefer, she was his half sister), rented a car, and drove her home. I shipped the crate up in advance so it was waiting for us at the breeder's house when we got there and we could safely contain her in the car during the 10 hour drive home. It was cheaper to UPS it there than to fly with it as excess baggage.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
What is it with shipping dogs and being so expensive? A 70lb suitcase is $25 to put down below. A 60lb dog cost my friend $200. Why.
I *believe* live cargo is treated quite differently from suitcases. From what I hear live animals are last on the plane and first off the plane and (hopefully) are treated with much more care than a suitcase.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

My biggest expense is gas (and buying a vehicle just for my dogs). I drive about 115 miles one way to training.

Training is offered twice a week for club training, and twice a week for paid assistance.

(When I rode horses, I rode other people's horses..... and got PAID! Dogs are way more )
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

$75 adoption fee
Training weekly/bi monthly at different trainers - $100-$150 per month
Surgeries
Spay
Lump removal
Another Lump removal
Injured knee

Monetary cost - Thousands. I don't want to add it up!

Reward - anyone with a GSD curled against their legs on a cold night can answer that one.
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post

Monetary cost - Thousands. I don't want to add it up!

Reward - anyone with a GSD curled against their legs on a cold night can answer that one.

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1007494

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/610245.html
Debbieg is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

I paid $300 for her (rescue)
Her food costs around $47 (I think $45 before tax) it lasts for about 6 weeks I think
The rest I'm not real sure about. I'll just say in my budget I allot her $100 a month (including food) and we usually reach it and sometimes exceed it. So if I were just going off of that she'd cost me at least $1200 a year, but I've probably spent closer to $2000 on her because of start up costs. Hoping this year to stay closer to the $1200. lol

NewbieShepherdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.