Do you take "Beware of Dog" signs serious? - Page 9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Do you take "Beware of Dog" Serious
Yes, I am very cautious when I see that sign 91 70.00%
Nah... it's just a sign 20 15.38%
Neither - Explain 19 14.62%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 02:59 AM   #81 (permalink)
Master Member

Honestly, all my years delivering pizza I have come to the conclusion that most of the time those signs are just a deterrent. Either they don't have a dog at all, or its totally friendly little foo foo dog I've been bitten twice, no sign either place... just a well hidden dog with an attitude. One was a GSD under a bench seat, on the porch. I had NO IDEA the dog was there until I heard growling. The other was a big mutt on a long chain around a corner. No beware of dog signs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #82 (permalink)
Master Member

Some people use it as a deterent, some people have dogs you should really be made aware of. You can disregard the sign all you want until someones dog actually gets ahold of you. Then people would wish they heeded it.
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
Just an FYI... the standard poodle I had as a child was every bit as protective as a GSD. I think you don't know the breed very well, LOL! She bit the seat out of the meter man because he came into the yard while I was in it.
My first dog was a German Shepherd, so the sign naturally had a Shepherd’s photo on it. When I rescued my Chihuahua, I added a sticker that looked like his face on the sign, and then when we rescued our Newf, I got a sticker that looked like him. I have since rescued a Miniature Poodle and a Jack Russell/Lab (looks like a giant Jack) but haven’t gotten stickers that look like them, yet. My original comment was, that I need their pictures because I like people to be able to see all the breeds I own J

LOL - Oh, I am very knowledgeable on the poodle breed! And cannot agree with you MORE! Haha, I don’t trust many poodles, my German Shepherd on the other hand was the most sweetest loving girl ever. I’ve been volunteering with animal shelters, rescues and humane societies for the past 11 years, with incoming animals and fostering etc. so have met many different dog breeds and their stories. Sukee (poodle) was abused before coming into my life and was a complete mess when I found him. He was unneutered, matted, dirty and smelled of cigarette smoke, had a tumour on his leg and was deathly afraid of everything. We couldn’t raise our arms (even to brush our hair) or rake leaves near him without him trembling to the floor in fear. He’s definitely been hit before. He’s come a long way and is a very loving little boy now, who is very friendly with us but would protect us with all his life and thinks he must protect us from everyone. Introductions to new people must be done slowly and properly for everything to go smoothly.

While I strongly believe the temperament of the dog is based on how it was raised, I do find Poodles to have a higher prey-drive and have met quite a few aggressive ones. Bully breeds and mastiffs are my favorite, I have met so many lovely ones with the nicest temperaments even when they have come from bad situations, yet a lot of people think that they have bad temperaments and can’t be trusted and think Poodles are the innocent ones, lol.

Last edited by Touie; 12-25-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Touie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #84 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I never see them. I think people around here think that if you have a sign and your dog bites someone, you will be more liable because you knew your dog was dangerous.

If I did see a sign, I would probably think people are wanting me to believe there is a vicious dog around so that I won't go on the property, etc. It would probably make me believe there wasn't, but whatever. It is against the law in Ohio to debark a dangerous dog. So, if I were to see a sign and not hear a dog, I would probably figure the dog was out.

There is absolutely nothing I would do differently if there was a beware of dog sign. I don't open people's gates and tramp over their property, so that doesn't really matter. If there is a reason I need to go up on someone's porch, I will go, sign or no. Posting a sign does not mean you can let the dog run around loose, you still have to contain them to your property, and have safe access to your front door, so it just wouldn't make any difference to me.

But again, I never see them.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #85 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touie View Post
My first dog was a German Shepherd, so the sign naturally had a Shepherdís photo on it. When I rescued my Chihuahua, I added a sticker that looked like his face on the sign, and then when we rescued our Newf, I got a sticker that looked like him. I have since rescued a Miniature Poodle and a Jack Russell/Lab (looks like a giant Jack) but havenít gotten stickers that look like them, yet. My original comment was, that I need their pictures because I like people to be able to see all the breeds I own J

LOL - Oh, I am very knowledgeable on the poodle breed! And cannot agree with you MORE! Haha, I donít trust many poodles, my German Shepherd on the other hand was the most sweetest loving girl ever. Iíve been volunteering with animal shelters, rescues and humane societies for the past 11 years, with incoming animals and fostering etc. so have met many different dog breeds and their stories. Sukee (poodle) was abused before coming into my life and was a complete mess when I found him. He was unneutered, matted, dirty and smelled of cigarette smoke, had a tumour on his leg and was deathly afraid of everything. We couldnít raise our arms (even to brush our hair) or rake leaves near him without him trembling to the floor in fear. Heís definitely been hit before. Heís come a long way and is a very loving little boy now, who is very friendly with us but would protect us with all his life and thinks he must protect us from everyone. Introductions to new people must be done slowly and properly for everything to go smoothly.

While I strongly believe the temperament of the dog is based on how it was raised, I do find Poodles to have a higher prey-drive and have met quite a few aggressive ones. Bully breeds and mastiffs are my favorite, I have met so many lovely ones with the nicest temperaments even when they have come from bad situations, yet a lot of people think that they have bad temperaments and canít be trusted and think Poodles are the innocent ones, lol.
Ah, gotcha! I totally misunderstood your previous post! Yes, I had friends that ignored what I told them about my rescued poodle mix... and they got BIT! No, you'll never see them on the SchH field, or with an IPO title, but they do remind me of shepherds in a way and take their home and family very seriously. Nice to meet another person who knows what's really inside that innocent looking body!
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 03:20 AM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
Ah, gotcha! I totally misunderstood your previous post! Yes, I had friends that ignored what I told them about my rescued poodle mix... and they got BIT! No, you'll never see them on the SchH field, or with an IPO title, but they do remind me of shepherds in a way and take their home and family very seriously. Nice to meet another person who knows what's really inside that innocent looking body!

Haha, no problem! J Itís nice meeting you, too. Iíve always found it hilarious that when Iím out walking my dogs, people will actually cross the street when they see my big Newfoundland dog, meanwhile, heís extremely friendly and if someone were to break into our house, the most heíd probably do is trip them because heís stubborn and impossible to move from the doorway where he likes to sleep. When my German Shepherd was still alive, she and our previous neighbourís Pitbull both slept right through all the cars on our street being broken into. So much for two of the most dangerous, protection dog breeds, right? LOL J People always want to pet, hold and cuddle my Poodle and Chihuahua, but are deathly afraid of the Newf. Iím constantly warning people to please not pet my little ones (both of them are rescues, both having been previously abused). My Chihuahua has come a long way and is pretty much perfect with everyone he meets now, but it took about two years of heavy socializing and bringing him everywhere with me. At first, my parents couldnít even come near me without him protecting me, now anyone can hold him (even young children) so long as they are confident and do not hesitate. The poodle on the other hand is still a work in progress but IĎm confident in time heĎll become much better around strangers as he has come a long way since I rescued him. Some people he automatically loves, but others he goes crazy at, barking and blocking people from coming anywhere near me and my family (human and furry). I find it funny when I tell people not to try to pet him, people always say to me, Ďoh he wonít bite, just look at how CUTE he is!í LOL! J
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.