Do you take "Beware of Dog" signs serious? - Page 8 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Do you take "Beware of Dog" Serious
Yes, I am very cautious when I see that sign 91 70.00%
Nah... it's just a sign 20 15.38%
Neither - Explain 19 14.62%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #71 (permalink)

You better believe it!
After having my crazy dogs, I wouldn't trust any dog anymore.
Dotty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #72 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touie View Post

Must get my hands on a Poodle sticker and JRT one next.
Just an FYI... the standard poodle I had as a child was every bit as protective as a GSD. I think you don't know the breed very well, LOL! She bit the seat out of the meter man because he came into the yard while I was in it.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #73 (permalink)

I do heed Beware of the Dog signs. The sign I have on my gate depicts a GSD head and says "I Live Here" ... there are often three GSDs behind the fence too, letting people know my sign is for real
Questforfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 02:11 AM   #74 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna

I was thinking a perfect sign would be: this property protected by GSD who eats pitbulls for breakfast.
Is that scary? Or would a burglar just giggle?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-22-2012, 03:03 AM   #75 (permalink)

Yes! I'd much rather be warned than surprised (in a bad way!)
rangersdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #76 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I take the signs serious, yes.. but I rarely have a reason to go into a strangers' yard. I mean, the signs are there for a reason.

Quote:
I was thinking a perfect sign would be: this property protected by GSD who eats pitbulls for breakfast.
Is that scary? Or would a burglar just giggle?
Well, I don't know about a burglar - unless he is a Pit Bull-.. but it would probably offend some Pit Bull owners

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
APBTLove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #77 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
Just an FYI... the standard poodle I had as a child was every bit as protective as a GSD. I think you don't know the breed very well, LOL! She bit the seat out of the meter man because he came into the yard while I was in it.

Individual dogs of course vary greatly!

But I think as a breed generality, you would admit that the GSD would be a lot more likely to be protective than a standard Poodle? yes?

The standard Poodles that I have seen in our OB club (3 of them only) have all been most friendly to strangers.

And again, as a general breed thing I do believe that GSD's would be a lot more likely on average to be capable of defending their owner much better.

After all, how many ScH3 Standard Poodles does one see? Or for that matter, how many K9 patrol Standard Poodles have you run across? (me = none of either)
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #78 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I can tell u we had 2 standards who were protective, and I also had a poodle/terrier mix who wouldn't let maintenance into our apartment and would bite anyone who threatened me, so I dunno. A GSD looks more intimidating for sure, and of course is 'expected' to be protective, BUT the poodle comment was made as if they were no threat which is untrue. I've seen many shepherds that aren't capable of protecting their handlers. Also, SchH training doesn't mean the dog will respond to a real threat.

Last edited by Jag; 12-22-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #79 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
I can tell u we had 2 standards who were protective, and I also had a poodle/terrier mix who wouldn't let maintenance into our apartment and would bite anyone who threatened me, so I dunno. A GSD looks more intimidating for sure, and of course is 'expected' to be protective, BUT the poodle comment was made as if they were no threat which is untrue. I've seen many shepherds that aren't capable of protecting their handlers. Also, SchH training doesn't mean the dog will respond to a real threat.
Very true, but it would certainly increase the chances, don't you think?

You are kidding, right? Sounds like your mutt was a "real" protection dog.

I am going only by reputation, standard, and the std poodles that i have met (3 or 4) of them. None were a "protection" dog, or as far as I could tell capable of doing the training in man work. Far as I am concerned the precense of a std poodle would not influence me whatsoever in my behavior toward the owner. A GSD would.

I certainly would expect a std poodle to be able to handle the ScH tracking and the OB work but the bite work - i would have to see it to believe it (course an individual std poodle might be able to - hence I am asking you to let us know of any that you have owned or even know about)??

Just out of curiosity, how many std poodles do you know who have earned any type of protection related training title? I don't know of any myself which is why I would ask you, with obviously much more experience with std poodles than I have about some protection related acconplishments. Or maybe any std poodles who have any K9 protection experience or maybe can point to 1 std poodle working as a K9 (since you seem to discount any ScH/IPO titles).
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 02:08 AM   #80 (permalink)

I would never go in a yard were there is a beware of dog sign. I dont go in others yards unless needed to which is rare. Maybe I had to do it once or twice but I knew the people. Its a warning sign and a scare tactic. So I stay away, and most people I know would too.

I am a little confused though. Some laws say that if your dog bites someone in your backyard and you have a beware of dog sign in a visible place you arent liable for trespassers but then I read of a case were someones dog bit a trespasser and they had a sign but they had the dog put down because the judge said that the sign was saying "My dog is dangerous" I mean its sad that people try to warn and protect people and then their dog gets put down just because some stupid person goes in the yard without asking... Does anyone know what the laws are in Colorado, Usa. I tried to find them but I cant find a definite answer...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
-Will Rogers
PuppyKono is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.