Do you take "Beware of Dog" signs serious? - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Do you take "Beware of Dog" Serious
Yes, I am very cautious when I see that sign 91 70.00%
Nah... it's just a sign 20 15.38%
Neither - Explain 19 14.62%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 01:31 AM   #61 (permalink)

My lawyer told me that people automatically assume that a dog is dangerous because the sign is displayed. Displaying the sign says you have a dangerous dog and can lead to a lawsuit because you KNOW your dog is dangerous and you failed to keep the community safe from your "Dangerous dog", even if it jumps on a person and they receive an injury (Even a scratch).

I was told to place "dog on premises" signs around my property with "no tresspassing" signs as a warning. For those you are telling people to stay out and that you have a dog. Doesn't say it's dangerous, so it's just a dog. If they get injured for being stupid for coming on your property, that's their own fault.

He said it's the wording that causes the issue. I live in Massachusetts. People are VERY litigious around here and most of the idiots win their lawsuits.
Chance&Reno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 02:06 AM   #62 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I like the beware of owner signs.

shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #63 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My attorney advised me not to put up a "caution, working dog" on my vehicle bc it was an admission my dogs would bite. He was also aware we do bitework with the dogs
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #64 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
Exactly. Part of the reason I said "no" is because when I go to the property of someone I don't know, I'm worried more about the owner than the dog. I don't get out of my car until I see the property owner, "Beware of dog" sign or not.
I just get out but keep a bite sleeve near me :-)
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #65 (permalink)
Master Member

Reality, it's a catch "22" ! A home owner here a little while back was cited for having no warning signs when a meter reader was bit by a dog. It boils down to who's got the smartest lawyer...

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning how to dance in the rain."
(Author Unknown)
FredD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #66 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you don't know the dog well, assume the dog may have poor genetics, may not have been properly socialized, may not have been properly trained, OR has great genetics, has been very well trained and socialized, and will do the job it was bred for. Respect the dog, respect the property of others.

That said, this is my ideal sign: "This house has a big dog, a security system, and NRA life-members. Find an easier house."

Training @ The Canine Center - St Cloud, FL
"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
DianaM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #67 (permalink)

It depends on where exactly the sign is and what the sign looks like.
But for the most part, no. I do not take “Beware of Dogs” signs seriously.

I think that a lot of people put them up as a joke, especially people with little dogs (lol, which we all know are the true guard dogs!) Now if I am approaching an old farm and see a wooden sign with some sort of warning carved into it, I’m on the look out for a big Great Pyrenees protecting it’s land.

We have a sign in our front door’s window, it’s yellow and has a German Shepherd’s photo on one side with the words “Hier Wache Ich!” in German. My dad brought it back with him when he visited Germany when I was about 3 years old. A lot of people ask us what it means and were more afraid of that sign than any regular sign because they had no clue what it said. It means “Here I am awake” in English, so it’s a little funny! Our German Shepherd Touie would never have hurt a fly and would have licked someone to death. She loved everyone.

I have since stuck a little Chihuahua face and Newfoundland face to the sign.
Must get my hands on a Poodle sticker and JRT one next.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #68 (permalink)
Elite Member

[QUOTE=Mrs.K;2364301]Do you take it serious?
/QUOTE]
Yes, always. You can never assure that there is truly an aggressive dog on someone's property or not, but I will not be the one to find out. I also believe that people put those signs out just for show.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #69 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Do you take it serious?
Or is a "Beware of Dog" sign, nowadays just not enough to warn people that there is a dangerous dog residing?
My answer.."yes"...I am afraid of all dogs I don't know! Frankly, all animals I dont know!

Funny thing..I grew up around all kind of domestic, wild, zoo animals...I only trust 'em if I know 'em!!
Old 12-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #70 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Of course! Even though some people put them up just to deter people.. why take a chance? I know what previous shepherds of mine could have done to people who weren't welcome.... LOL....so I take that sign as if it were one of mine on the other side of it!

I also just put signs on my fence, just in case someone gets it into their head to attempt to come into the yard. We have a motel on one side, and I'd hate to have someone taken out because they weren't forewarned.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.