Do you take "Beware of Dog" signs serious? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
View Poll Results: Do you take "Beware of Dog" Serious
Yes, I am very cautious when I see that sign 92 70.23%
Nah... it's just a sign 20 15.27%
Neither - Explain 19 14.50%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Elite Member
I take them seriously, but don't necessarily always believe they're there because the dog owner thinks their dog will bite. More and more, people are posting them simply as "warnings" to state that dogs are present, so they aren't bothered or let out of a fence, etc. Regardless, I figure the sign means the owner wants me to leave the dog alone, so I do (although I'd never pet/interact with a dog without their owner's permission, anyway.

From a legal standpoint, "Beware of Dog" signs can be swung both ways. A plaintiff's attorney will argue that the sign is proof that the owner knew their dog was dangerous. A defense attorney will argue that the plaintiff was an idiot for not heeding the sign, and by posting the sign, the dog owner was using their due diligence to make sure no one was injured by their dog. (BTW, I work for plaintiffs' attorneys... we do handle dog bite cases).

So... who's right? Whoever the jury believes!

Luna, GSD (11/22/08)
Nova, GSD (07/01/07)
Apollo, Rottweiler (06/28/08)
Sponsored Links
post #22 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Knighted Member
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
In California, putting up a "beware of dog" sign can get you sued if your dog bites someone. Why? It seems bass-ackwards, but a sign like that is tantamount to admitting you have a dangerous dog that you know will bite. If you own such a dog, you have to take measures to ensure no one has access to the dog. So, should someone reach over the fence and get bitten, it's YOUR fault for not protecting them from your dog (even though the sign is there to warn them). Stupid, but true.

If you want to put up a sign, it has to be very non-threatening, ie "there's a dog in the yard". That way, if your dog DOES bite someone and they sue, you can say "I had no idea my dog would bite anybody!"

Our litigious culture rewards the stupid and lazy.
That's absolutely ridiculous! In my opinion... you come on my yard (through the fence, or my doors) unwelcomed, you deserve more then a dog bite.
At that point, you should be thankful all you got was a bite.

You're right... our system goes a little too far to protect the rights of even the criminals that clearly should not be protected. Like I put in my post below... there was a case in FL where a man sued a family because he broke his leg while braking into their home. And there are MANY of these cases out there I am sure. Just crazy...

-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
post #23 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Elite Member
I voted neither.

If I am invited to a friends house and see a sign, I confidently walk in assuming they either a) have the dog under control or b) have put the dog away. In circumstance c) I take control of the dog. I frequently have treats in whatever sweater pocket I am currently wearing (from walking the dog, training, etc) and have found that reading a dogs body language, I can be quite effective in turning them off. If the dog happened to be so keyed up that the treats would not work, I become a tree , ignore the dog 100% and ask them to take the dog in another room or I will leave.

I was walking Shenzi last night and decided to walk off the paths we frequent and walk in a new place. We walked by a house..and it looked like Kings Pen. (a max security jail northish of where I live) There were 2 signs (at the front and side of the property) that were custom made warning clearly there was a dangerous dog on the premises and not to enter. The entire property was fenced with 5 foot chain link. Would I take that seriously? You betcha. Where I live there is not even a gate at the front, you only have your backyard fenced.

So as you can see, it is all about presentation. It works for me and I have never made a bad judgement as to whether I can handle a specific situation.

Shenzi the GSD
Scruffy the woofing terror

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zira “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” -J.K Rowling
post #24 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Elite Member
Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
Not really.

To many here place the sign and do not have a dog. Just like people place security signs and do not have a security system. I think most have the same idea as I do about the 'beware' signs.

I just don't enter private property unless the owner is there.
post #25 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 02:39 PM
I think in our county if your dog is deemed viscious by A/C, you are required to post a "Beware of Dog" sign on your property.

In order to be deemed viscious, your dog would have had to of bitten at least 3 people (seperate incidents each), off your property.

**** yes I take it seriously!

Last edited by Mayasmom; 01-13-2012 at 02:43 PM.
post #26 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 03:02 PM
There is a business near here that has signs posted that say, "Sentry Dogs on Patrol". You dont see signs like this often so if Im sure its a good deterent. Unless the thieves don't know what a sentry dog is.
post #27 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Crowned Member
Whether or not a Beware of Dog sign is a good idea depends on the state. Most or at least many states do have laws about dog bites. I went through them a while back and what I found that more states had laws that say if you have some sort of beware of dog sign (some require specific wording like the BAD DOG) a person who enters is accepting the risk and if they get bitten the owner is not liable, or they say if a person enters a property without permission(trespasses) or for a nefarious purpose gets bitten the owner is not liable, or they don't mention anything about a sign... I don't think I found any states that said that if you have a beware of dog sign and someone enters and gets bitten you are admitting you have a dangerous dog and that means you will be held liable--- if I did it was very few. There are also some states that say it doesn't matter what you have, sign or no sign, if your dog bites someone you are liable no matter what.

Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
I used to have a job as a delivery driver, so I'd go to all kinds of businesses and homes. About half the time I saw a "beware of dog" sign, the person would answer the door and a happy, tail-waggy dog would come and greet me as well. Of course, I would have to make some sort of comment like "Are you the dog I'm supposed to beware of?" And the owner would say "Oh, that sign is just for show."

There is a difference between coming to the front door and having the homeowner open it for you, and just entering the yard (or house) uninvited. My dogs' reaction is totally different between those two scenarios.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12

Last edited by Chicagocanine; 01-13-2012 at 04:05 PM.
post #28 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 04:04 PM
Crowned Member
I think most of the time when that sign is up it's just saying, "There is a dog here" not "There is a dog that bites here"

post #29 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 04:10 PM
I have a "beware of dog" sign posted. I also have a little, non threatening looking female Shiba Inu so when people see that - they have that reaction 'beware of that dog'? They don't know I also have a male 90+lb GSD. =)
post #30 of 86 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 04:11 PM
Knighted Member
I answered neither. I don't take it seriously unless I can see the dog. Half the people in my old neighborhood had those signs up and most of them didn't have dogs. While I don't always take it seriously, I don't take risks. I'm not about to go roaming around on someone else's property regardless of if there's a "beware of dog" sign or not.

Viking vom Zeder-Kamme (11/19/2011)
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page