Do you take "Beware of Dog" signs serious? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Do you take "Beware of Dog" Serious
Yes, I am very cautious when I see that sign 91 70.00%
Nah... it's just a sign 20 15.38%
Neither - Explain 19 14.62%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSKnight View Post
Yea... I take them as a seriously bad idea. It's like saying, "I know my dog bites, please sue me"
Not to steer this conversation off course, but I have to admit that this forum is the only place I've ever heard such concern of being sued over "Beware of Dog" signs. I've googled this a number of times and have yet to see any instance where a homeowner actually was sued because of a dog bite where the sign was posted and used as "admission of liability." My research seems to show that it absolutely differs between states, but most states take the full situation under concern. I did also find this site (which they even admit that the info, while well referenced, may not apply in all states):

A Dog Owner's Legal Defenses - Dog Bites - Every Dog's Legal Guide - Nolo

Quote:
The same goes for warning signs. Someone who ignores a clear, prominently posted "Beware of Dog" sign is probably not going to be able to blame the dog's owner for any injuries. For example, a Maryland delivery man ignored a "Guard Dog on Duty" sign at a warehouse and was severely bitten by a German shepherd that most definitely was on duty. He sued but lost. A court concluded that he "voluntarily left his place of safety" and knowingly took the risk of injury. 30

30. Benton v. Aquarium, Inc., 62 Md. App. 373, 489 A.2d 549 (1985).

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I certainly wouldn't walk in a gate or door that had a "beware of dog" sign on it, not because I'm afraid of the dog, I just want to respect people's privacy and not trespass.

I used to have a job as a delivery driver, so I'd go to all kinds of businesses and homes. About half the time I saw a "beware of dog" sign, the person would answer the door and a happy, tail-waggy dog would come and greet me as well. Of course, I would have to make some sort of comment like "Are you the dog I'm supposed to beware of?" And the owner would say "Oh, that sign is just for show."

I'm not saying you shouldn't take the signs seriously, though. If people put up a sign like that, it's usually for a reason.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Not in NY. As a matter of fact you have to put them out there if you have a dangerous dog. If I understood the law correctly.
Here in PA you have to do that as well. That is my point, you are saying you KNOW your dog bites. If you have a sign up, it is evidence of "scienter"
GSKnight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

A good lawyer can turn it on people who posted and some may win. So I think we will post a german shepherd do lover in the house sign. That way they are warned and I am not saying my dog is going to bite them. We all know that a good lawyer and a jury can still award the defendant. I dont think I need to worry to much now. She's only 10 1/2 weeks for now at least.
rainy1023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
Not to steer this conversation off course, but I have to admit that this forum is the only place I've ever heard such concern of being sued over "Beware of Dog" signs. I've googled this a number of times and have yet to see any instance where a homeowner actually was sued because of a dog bite where the sign was posted and used as "admission of liability." My research seems to show that it absolutely differs between states, but most states take the full situation under concern. I did also find this site (which they even admit that the info, while well referenced, may not apply in all states):

A Dog Owner's Legal Defenses - Dog Bites - Every Dog's Legal Guide - Nolo
Maybe google didn't pick it up, but here in Florida, BAD DOG signs are the only signs which can give us legal protection under the law so I have a feeling there may be some successful law suits involving BEWARE OF DOG signs?

FWIW I voted YES in the survey, I heed the Beware of Dog signs!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
DTS
Master Member

It depends. If I know the property or not. I don't really see beware of dowg signs. Some people put then up and don't really have big dogs. My bf's parents still have their beware of dog signs up from my bf's gsd who was shot by a neighbor in the face with a 12 gauge. He survived but was mean after that and would bite people if they came on the property. The only dogs his parents have are Boston terriers and a very overweight beagle. If it was someone I didn't know I would take precaution.
If I got bit and someone had a sign, I'd blame myself.
DTS is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I said yes. If there is a caution sign of any kind, I pretty much take the hint.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSKnight View Post
Here in PA you have to do that as well. That is my point, you are saying you KNOW your dog bites. If you have a sign up, it is evidence of "scienter"
I don't know. A beware of dog sign does not admit to the fact that your dog is dangerous. It only says: "Beware, there is a dog on the premises." but it doesn't say that your dog is dangerous or could bite.

If I had a dangerous dog, I'd put up "Beware of dangerous Dog". There is a sign in Germany that says exactly that. "Achtung, Gefaehrlicher Hund!"
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

In California, putting up a "beware of dog" sign can get you sued if your dog bites someone. Why? It seems bass-ackwards, but a sign like that is tantamount to admitting you have a dangerous dog that you know will bite. If you own such a dog, you have to take measures to ensure no one has access to the dog. So, should someone reach over the fence and get bitten, it's YOUR fault for not protecting them from your dog (even though the sign is there to warn them). Stupid, but true.

If you want to put up a sign, it has to be very non-threatening, ie "there's a dog in the yard". That way, if your dog DOES bite someone and they sue, you can say "I had no idea my dog would bite anybody!"

Our litigious culture rewards the stupid and lazy.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Nope.

When I worked as an auto insurance adjuster I spent a lot of time in junkyards and body shops that had Rotties or Pitties and big "Beware of Dog" signs. Without fail those dogs were big lovers who were thrilled to have some attention and maybe part of my lunch.

On the other hand, when I'd go to some elderly person's house and they opened the front door and a little white yapper came rushing out at me at full speed they would yell, "Don't worry she's very friendly!" Those were the times I was guaranteed to get bitten unless I jumped very quickly back into my car until they picked the little monster up.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.