Do you ever regret getting a second dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Do you ever regret getting a 2nd dog?
No 32 56.14%
Yes 3 5.26%
Sometimes (explain below) 7 12.28%
Never, will always want 2 or more dogs (spaced out in ages!) 16 28.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do you ever regret getting a second dog?

I got a small maltipoo and a German Shepherd. I love both of them equally.... BUT sometimes I wish I would only have one at a time lol. They seem to love each other more than they love my fiance or myself! It's a good thing but sometimes I wish it could just be my fiance and I hanging out with one of them. However, it's mostly my fiance and I hanging out and both of them running around the whole house lol. I love them both to death and would never get rid of one but sometimes I wonder how it would be if we only had one dog lol (please don't attack me for this post).
bad_news07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Nope, I do not regret it.

Mine both choose me over each other. I love them both equally and I enjoy spending time with both of them. I also like watching them interact and play with each other. Everything is perfect.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

At this very moment... maybe.... JUST KIDDING!

I say this because I am trying to get their crates and training bag ready and they are jumping all over me, winding through my legs and whining because they KNOW where they are going.

I don't regret getting a second dog, but sometimes I do have a "whew..." moment or two when they are both going nuts because they need their walk or ball time. Or when I get home from a 10hour shift (my sister is usually home with them on these days but plays inside with them, hardly ever takes them to play outside) and they both need to be walked, worked/trained and fed = and they want it to happen at the same time.. lol.

I love having the dogs, both are so different that each give me something fun to look forward too and do to with them.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Nope. I've never had any of my dogs that would rather spend time with each other than with me. Having dogs that are more bonded to eachother than they are to the owner is "handler error".

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
BlackGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have three and many times I have said that what I learned getting three is that two was enough. I have also thought at times how nice it was with just the one. I might have less issues if the two I added had the same temperament and lack of issues that we have with our first. I would love to be able to take the two boys the places I can take Clover and do the things I can do with her but I just can't. Max is too dog aggressive and Patton has issues sometimes with strange people and some dogs. We also have issues between the two when we are off property. If I could resolve those things, I would find myself wishing for the old days much less.

Having said all that, I am not getting rid of any of them, but have learned things for the future.
Rogue - Grey Tabby cat - 11 yr old Stray
R.I.P. Spats, Sophie, Emmie, Pooh Bear

Remember, if someone has a problem with you.........it is in fact their problem.
weber1b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

No . . . we've had 2 GSDs for the majority of the past 12 years and they've all had different personalities which add so much to our lives. They always bond to us (my husband in particular) more than to each other.

Ridley 2010
Rennie 2006
Rex 2000 - 2010
Retta 1993 - 2006
smdaigle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

I don't regret adopting Riley and bringing her into the family. I love having both of my dogs' sitting, layind down, or layding down on top of me everyday for some attention! Although, they get attention a lot everyday! There isn't a minute without me with them, or them without me. They're both amazing dogs', and I ADORE both of them!!
Old 10-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My GSD loves to hang out with me and will only play with my lab if I am not available. And to answer your question-a resounding no! I have never regretted it.
Germanshepherdlova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Not really... Skylar is my heart dog but I really love Kayden to pieces and love training and adventuring with both of them (together and individually) Skylar is independent and can do her own thing, easier to train and more serious, but Kayden is a goofy, attention-seeking love bug. I will never have more than a male and a female at the same time- I would most likely regret that. It gets hard sometimes juggling attention/exercise/training/adventures for both, but I don't regret it, they're both completely different. BUT next time I will wait until the first is older than 1 year, because I feel like I didn't let Skylar be an only dog for long enough.
King&Skylar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Regret it? No, but sometimes I wonder how we can give them both everything they need. I wouldn't change anything.....but having a senior dog in declining health and energy as well as a puppy is not always easy. That being said for my children it is wonderful as their beloved Kaos ages and becomes less able to play with them the puppy matures and is becoming quite a play mate with them. It is fun because they compliment each other well in every way except the $ dept where they are both at their most expensive times of their life. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
mysweetkaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.