Do you ever regret getting a second dog? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Do you ever regret getting a 2nd dog?
No 32 56.14%
Yes 3 5.26%
Sometimes (explain below) 7 12.28%
Never, will always want 2 or more dogs (spaced out in ages!) 16 28.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Sometimes.....
We got Josh first at 8weeks, he's a great boy, he knows all his basic obedience and minds pretty good for a 14mo old teenager. Just a happy, happy guy.

We fostered Jenna for a little bit before we adopted her. She has been a trial. She was a yard ornament before and barely knew "sit" when we got her in August, now she knows her new name, sit, down, sit stay, down stay and come. We are working on cutting out fence fighting and getting her used to other dogs now.
Just sometimes, when life is busy, I wish we didn't have all the extra work, she's worth it though

Josh (GSD)- 8/10/10
Daisy (ragdoll cat) 10 yrs old
Romeo (ragdoll cat) 9 yrs old
Caspurr (ragdoll/snowshoe mix) 8 yrs old
Josh's mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

When I lost my grand old best friend Chance, a smooth collie, I told my sister it would take 15 dogs to equal one of her. I was wrong about that. It would take 50. I now live with four females, three of whom are rescues. I don't have the intense closeness I had with Chance, but each one is special to me.

At heart I'm a one-dog person.
southernfiction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Only when he eats the crepe myrtle. Or eats the foster dog's leash. Or does the flying gut stomp first thing in the morning.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No never regretted. Lucky is my dog and he was our third at the time. If we hadnt adopted i dont know if his HW would have been taken care of .Daisy was the second dog but my first and only from a puppy.OK I wonder now if i had kids would they have been criminals,daisy has been challenging. On the other hand she has been my protector/alert dog and I cant imagine my life w/out both. I do regret that our oldest dog Dodger who was 13 at the time had to be segregateda nd he hung out in our family room/kitchen in the basement where my husband's buddy was staying.Those 2 years were difficult and I would not get a young dog w/ my old dogs now.In retrospect it was wrong for Dodger and I still feel incredibly quilty re that decision but if i hadnt adopted Lucky he might not have gotten tx for HW. Would I have two dogs again yes would I have three not sure Im smart enough.
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Regret isn't the right word. I feel very stretched at times with three dogs, though. I try hard to provide for ALL their needs and I know sometimes I fail and one gets more and another doesn't. I simply try to make up for it the next day.

My life revolves completely around dogs. They need to eat, need their exercise, training, medication, vet visits, gotta get a bag of food, need this-that-or-the-other. It's very time consuming, tiring and expensive. Every GREAT once in awhile, when I'm tired, or feeling a little sick, I think GEESH, I'd like to have a dog day OFF.! But of course I couldn't do that, because I couldn't trust anyone to take care of them like I do.

Regret, No. A break every once in awhile? WOULD BE NICE! )
chelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I also regretted it when I had food poisoning recently. 10 month old WL puppy + food poisoning = a really horrible day.

At the Bridge:
Old 10-27-2011, 09:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
I also regretted it when I had food poisoning recently. 10 month old WL puppy + food poisoning = a really horrible day.
I raise you your food poisoning and GSD working line pup with a .... 6 month old WL pup who had to be crate rested for 6 weeks.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Talking

Heck, I've got six-sometimes I think it would be nice to just have four-but I'll never give up any of them-til the end.
deldridge72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 10:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
I raise you your food poisoning and GSD working line pup with a .... 6 month old WL pup who had to be crate rested for 6 weeks.
Ha! I did that too! Only he was 5 months.

At the Bridge:
Old 10-27-2011, 11:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

I'll let you know in a few weeks. LOL We are "adopting" my mom's Golden Retriever who has some issues (because of her) and we have two adult dogs already in the house, plus two cats. I've had three dogs in the house before and it is a lot more work than two! For whatever reason, three dogs adds a completely different dimension.

My other two, I had moments in college years back where I wished I had given myself less responsibility, but it was worth it. Looking back on those years, I wouldn't have changed it.
lar07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.