When Do You Spay/Neuter or Do You Not Spay/Neuter? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: When do you spay/neuter or do you keep them intact?
I neuter males under 6 months of age 15 5.17%
I neuter males 6-12 months of age 54 18.62%
I neuter males 13 months-2 years of age 47 16.21%
I neuter males over 2 years of age 39 13.45%
I never neuter my males 86 29.66%
I spay females under 6 months of age 20 6.90%
I spay females 6-12 months of age 74 25.52%
I spay females 13 months-2 years of age 43 14.83%
I spay females over 2 years of age 33 11.38%
I never spay my females 41 14.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #41 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Donovan will never be neutered unless at some point he developes a health issues that requires it (or he keeps me awake moaning, ). My girls I have generally done later in life. Some around 5 and some a bit later. I worry about Pyometritis so do them all eventually.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #42 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
The first I'd ever heard of waiting to neuter a male for growth reasons was when I joined here.

Someone should've told my GSD/Malamute mix who ended up at 29 1/2 inches and 120lbs that he wouldn't fill out since I neutered him at 5 months. :P
I have read that they keep on growing-many times taller than they should have been, but their masculine or feminine looks do not develop as sharply as they would have, had they not been neutered so young. Especially a breed like the GSD who have very defined female and male characteristics when they mature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Germanshepherdlova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #43 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustLoveGSDs View Post
Man, my female husky marks trees and bushes outside like a male dog! I don't know why but seeing female dogs mark like males just agitates me, lol.

eta she is 5 years old and was spayed at around 8 months!
My female (Zoey) does the SAME thing and always has. She doesn't even have to be against a tree or bush, she'll co ck a leg when she pees in the middle of the yard. Zoey is also a humper. =x But she's never "marked" inside.

Eevee squats like a lady though.

I prefer NOT to spay/neuter unless I have to. Zoey was intact until she was 10, she got spayed because she got pyometra. Which doesn't happen in ALL intact cases so it hasn't put me off of my decision to keep Eevee intact. Zoey is 13.5 years old, happy, active, healthy and going very strong. I'm expecting plenty more years with my girl.
ChancetheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #44 (permalink)

Dax isn't neutered and right now I have no reason to get him neutered. However, we plan on getting a second cat, and a second dog some time in the future and I would like them to be rescues. I think that I will have to neuter Dax to get a rescue? I would also really like to foster (before I get a second dog), when one of my roomies moves out, pretty sure I will have to neuter Dax.
spidermilk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #45 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermilk View Post
Dax isn't neutered and right now I have no reason to get him neutered. However, we plan on getting a second cat, and a second dog some time in the future and I would like them to be rescues. I think that I will have to neuter Dax to get a rescue? I would also really like to foster (before I get a second dog), when one of my roomies moves out, pretty sure I will have to neuter Dax.
It will probably depend on the shelter. Most the ones who require you to be approved first require your current animals to be spayed/neutered. We went through animal control to get Chance and that was basically a "if you've got the money, you get the dog" situation. The girl asked a couple questions but it was pure curiosity of the worker who was showing us the dogs, nothing required to adopt one. We lied and said we had 1 dog at the time just because my mom didn't want to sound like a hoarder or anything LOL....We had 3. Chance was #4. 2 were intact and 1 neutered. But they never asked about that and we didn't have to do a home check to get him. (Pit Bulls were the only exception, those required home checks) Chance WAS neutered before he could come home though so I guess they figured he wouldn't be breeding anyways so it didn't matter.

Most places that do fostering tend to require the animals in your home be spayed/neutered as well though.
ChancetheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermilk View Post
It's still possible to foster with an intact pet, some organizations are quite willing to work with you. It helps to have been involved in the rescue/foster scene for awhile too so that you have some references.

You wouldn't be able to foster any intact dogs of the opposite sex, but as long as there is no pregnancy risk, some rescues will work with you. Just harder, and it takes more seraching to find a place that would work with you.

That's something I've been considering myself but neutering mine is an absolute firm no. I had some friends of mine who are very actively involved in various rescues ask about that, more than a few said, presuming you're a good fostering candidate, having an intact pet is not a huge obstacle. But it helps to have someone who can vouch for you. Because like it or not there is a stigma, having an intact pet, people think you are automatically irresponsible and contributing dozens of puppies a year to the "pet population problem." :eyeroll:

Some rescules though are too wrapped up in prejudices to ever give you a chance. They can't see beyond the stereotype. I know one person (I would say we are *barely* on speaking terms) who won't give even a glance at a foster application or an adoption application if intact pets are in the house, she basically is revolted. It's very, very sad. She cannot understand that "responsible ownership" and "speutered pets" are not interchangable terms.

Most I've heard about though, and the ones I do have friends involved with, they realize that people are individuals and are willing to give people an individual look.

Last edited by Draugr; 10-14-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Draugr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #47 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've fostered countless dogs(both unspayed and un-neutered) for GSD and Doberman rescue while having an intact male in the house. I'd send an email of interest expressing your intent and prove your responsibility, establish a relationship with the rescue board, that's what I've done and I've always been approved to foster.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:49 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master Member

I have read a lot seen a lot had my own dogs. Talked to many people. I am calling my vet this week to set up a spay. My dog is 6 months and female.

Very low chance of cancer in females when they are spayed before first heat.

For a male I think 8 month is a good age.
Pepper311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #49 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't think anyone mistook him for a female, lol, although he was extremely gentle: (and I'm just looking for an excuse to post a pic of him--he was an AWESOME dog)

This was him in about March--he was born in mid December (and me, 20 years ago, NO JOKES, please :P )

RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #50 (permalink)

I like to spay/nueter before the hormones get raging.. at 4/5 months. If they are pets.. who cares how they look? Are you going to love them any less? Plus, my work at the shelter proved.. males nuetered after they get the breeding urge.. will Still go after bitches in heat, AND hook up.
overtgabby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.