German Shepherds Forum banner

Would you let a vet treat your dog without u being present?

• Yes, no big deal.

Votes: 116 53.0%
  • No way!

Votes: 103 47.0%

Does your vet permit you to stay with your dog while he is being treated?

23K views 233 replies 119 participants last post by  selzer 
#1 ·
Does your vet permit you to be with your dog during the examination and while he is treating your pet? At my vet's office, initially you are called into a small exam room with your dog and the vet will ask you why you are there and take a look at your dog. Then the vet will tell you to go back in the waiting room while they treat your dog, or do vaccines, weigh your dog, etc. You then return to the waiting room and then a vet tech will bring your dog out to you when they are done. I felt uncomfortable and was a bit surprised when I first went to this vet, but then I came to accept it as normal, but now I am wondering if I shouldn't be so trusting.

#2 ·
Wow, I couldn't go to a vet that did that. It would make me feel too uncomfortable. I want to be there with my dogs and see what's being done to them. I have never heard of a vet that does something like that.

#3 ·
Sounds a little strange. Chances are there is nothing to worry about. But, I would certainly ask them why! You can tell them (politely) you would feel more comfortable if you could stay in the room. Do your dogs behave well at the vets?

#4 ·
thats not something i would want to do. We've had several experiences where the vet took one of our pets back out of our sight and it caused more harm than good. Several members on the site have had issues because of that. I wouldnt trust a vet who doesnt allow you in the room with your pet during anything less than surgery. Riley used to be the perfect vet dog. Never growled, grumbled, snapped or anything until the ONE time we allowed the vet to take him back without us present. NEVER again. EVER! he's got to be muzzled going in and coming out because of that experience. No idea still to this day what exactly they did to him but he's not good at the vet anymore since. I refuse to ever allow a vet to take any of my animals back without me present. I will walk out (yes, without paying) and never go back if they tell me they have to take my dog back or me leave the room. I'll tell them why as i'm walking out the door too.

NOTE: Some dogs do better without their owner present for even annuals but thats rare. It usually stresses your pet more when you're NOT there while they're being handled by strangers.

#5 ·
My vet is big on owner participation, so I've always been there for any exam, test, etc. I wouldn't be comfortable leaving my dog. And I see no reason why I couldn't be there
for anything, short of surgery,

I think it's whatever you feel comfortable doing.

#6 ·
I would not allow that... I want to know exactly whats going on and be there to help if blood is being drawn, and to make sure my dogs aren't accidentally given something I don't want them to have. It never fails that EVERY time I go to the vet, no matter what the reason is for, the vet tech goes "and vaccines" at the end of the reason I gave when I scheduled the appointment. NO. When I'm there for vaccines, I'll tell you. Once at a past vet they vaccinated my dogs without asking first only a month after they had received their boosters. I was LIVID.

The only times I haven't been right with my dogs was when they had to take Tessa for xrays, or when I've been at the ER vet/Logans ICU stay.

#7 ·
I won't go into the details as I'd just be repeating my self from the Parvo thread.
But, yep...and I've gone through three vets in two years due to the Alice seizure issues. I've got one now that not only agreed that the meds are too high, but actually has us help restrain the dog.
And, my dog apparently is a tramp and loves, loves, loves, his intern.
*literally gazes adoringly at him...while wagging her tail. *eye roll*

I don't think it's as not trusting the vet. Some dogs resource guard their owners and sometimes it's easier for the vet to just go bam bam, your done. Some people can't stand to hear their dog vocalize their displeasure at the vet....and we all pretty much know how big Drama Queens GSDs can be.
Even if I had to muzzle my dog...I'd still want to be there. I wouldn't feel like I have a good working relationship with the doctor if they did what your vet does.

#8 ·
my current vet tries to take my dog into the back i tell him no he or she is where ever i go so far that has not caused any issues and you better believe i will walk out of a clinic if they tried to force me to leave the room or run off with my dog i used to work for a vet never ever leave your dog alone for a exam surgery is one thing but for normal stuff no way

Ashley

#9 ·
As a vet tech, we usually tend to take the dogs out the back at my clinic to have their nails clipped/ blood taken/ anal glands expressed etc., if the owner requests to be with the animal we'll oblige them in a consult room provided teh dog stays calm, if its starts panicking, we'll take it out the back.
Our main reason is that dogs tend to behave in a more relaxed manner without the owner in the room, once they are are from their pack, they are less likely to try and draw assistance from their owner to get them away from the techs and vets that are trying to hold him still for whatever treatment required... at least I think that must be what be going on, either that or the dogs behave better because they are away from any anxiety or stress the owner might be giving off unwittingly (usually stressy dogs have owners that are worrying themselves if their dog is going to get distressed at being held by a stranger, or if it will try and bite the vet). When the vet is away from the owner he/ she can be more relaxed without the scrutiny and worries of the owner peering down at them while they are trying to do something that requires concentration like sticking a jugular vein in a trembling dog for example. I don't mean to make a generalisation for all owners, many are a great help at restraining their pet calmly, but its usually the ones that balk at their pet being taken out the back that are the ones that stress out the most). At my practice the animal that is taken out the back is surrounded by calm but firm energy which encourages them into submitting and allowing the vets to handle them better.
There are the techs/ vets that will scold a boisterous or hyperactive dog into submission (so they will sit still for their treatment), from my experience the staff I've worked with usually they are so accustomed to reading the body language of so many different dogs they can tell when a dog needs to be spoken to calmly and when they need to be told to behave in a firmer tone of voice, resulting in a calmer dog. Not sure if this has helped or hindered your trust in your vets/ vet techs, but this is my honest experience in the industry, I have been blessed to work with a team that genuinely care and try to help each patient with dedication.. can't speak for all the vets and techs out there obviously, but anyway theres my two bob worth:)

#11 ·
I am with my dog the whole time, unless it is a surgery or the dog needs to be put under, in which instance, I can be with him until he falls asleep or is groggy.

I would NEVER allow my dog to be by himself in those situation, I trust the vet but *I* know my dog and *I* want to know what is happening and why.

We did a skin scrapping on Stark several times over the last few months where they take a blade, scrape the 'sore area' on the tip of his muzzle/nose until the top layer of skin is off - I was able to help steady him (I wasn't really needed because he was so good, but I was there) and also give him that little bit of confidence and assurance.

#14 ·
I am with my dog the whole time, unless it is a surgery or the dog needs to be put under, in which instance, I can be with him until he falls asleep or is groggy.

I would NEVER allow my dog to be by himself in those situation, I trust the vet but *I* know my dog and *I* want to know what is happening and why.
Ditto. I have never gone, nor would go to, a vet where I couldn't be present during everything except surgery. Like Elisabeth, I know my dog and I want to know what is happening to him and why. Would parents let a doctor exam their young child without being present???

#12 ·
I should add that the vet physical exam and vaccinations and eye/ skin/ ear exams are all done with the owner in the room most of the time.. its only when the vet gets a feeling from the dogs demeanor that it might be calmer away from its owners that it is removed from the consult room. I would think it weird that the vet exclude the client completely wile doing the initial physical exam unless the animal was particularly aggressive/ stressed.

#13 ·
Surgery today...so I plan to be there for induction and emergence from anesthrsia. My dogs will do what I say so generally it is best if I am there for blood draws, vaccines, etc.
I like to keep stress minimal at the vet and being taken from me does not seem to lend itself to that goal.

#15 ·
yes, and I've watched some surgeries and procedures on my own dogs as well.

#16 ·
I voted wrong.. I was reading the actual thread, so thought that the question was "does your vet let you stay in the room"

Only once has a vet even asked to take a dog to the back. That was when we had Freya euthanized; the vet asked if it would be ok to take her to the back for the port, so that any "bad" feelings would be directed to them. She didn't want us to get even more upset and make things worse for Frey. She was gone less than 5 minutes.

Otherwise, stitches and all other procedures have always been done right there in the exam room. I do know a couple of people (same vet clinic) that are asked to NOT be present, but that is because they are huge drama queens. "OMG my poor baby!!!!!" until they have the dog in an absolute panic. One woman starts this drama scene in the parking lot of the clinic (no wonder her dog has to be sedated to go!) They've actually requested that someone other than her bring the dog in.

I've been present for stitches, exams, vaccines, aspirations, ear cleanings, wound cleanings, etc etc etc Never has anyone even mentioned doing those things in the back. Take that back, the only question ever asked was "will this make you squeamish" on the first visit.

#18 ·
While it may be true with a few dogs that they are calmer without the owner I do not believe it is the case with most dogs. I will never allow my dog in the back again but only for x-rays or surgery. All of my dogs have done better with me there to talk to them etc.

As an example, when Rio had to have his ultrasound for his kidneys they did it in the exam room. He had to be on his back so there was the Vet and 2 techs to hold him. He started struggling so I sat at his head stroked him and talked to him. He calmed right down. Had they done this in back they would have ended up sedating him, NOT something you want to do to a kidney patient.

#20 ·
I wouldn't go to a vet that took them to the back. In fact, it was one of the many reasons I left a practice I'd been going to for 17 years +/-

They go to the point that they wanted to do everything in the back, and sometimes even had people in the waiting room waiting for their pet to be delivered back to them. Uh, no.

I'm very calm, and very experienced with my dogs and how to hold and handle them during procedures, and they do as I tell them. I had never had this problem with the original owner and his staff, but as things tend to do, he basically retired and staff started turning over pretty fast. They were rude, too quick, and turned into an in and out type of place with jacked up rates. I changed to a vet I'd been using for my horses for about 10 years, as they had developed a very nice small animal practice as well. I am SO HAPPY I changed! It's worth the 45 minute drive.

I've seen just about everything you can see done to a dog, including operations.

#21 ·
all depends on what is being done. I am usually present for things like a check up, routine shots, etc. For blood work they take her in back but no real harm ever seems to come to her. One vet that I don't see anymore used to get some female employee that looked like an East German woman's shotputter and have her restrain the dog while they administered shots. That amount of force was not necessary. The rough handling made her very afraid of that office, she would visibly tremble in there after that incident. I muzzle her now, not that she's aggressive towards the staff but just to put more of them at ease because we all know how ill tempered these GSDs are.

#22 · (Edited)
Honestly I've never asked but I don't think it would be a problem since I've gone to the "back" for other things (to look at x-rays on a large lightbox, get one of my pets out of a cage, etc). When we do x-rays I drop my dog off in the morning and pick them up after work, just can't wait around when I work full time and the dogs have never had a problem (they probably like getting attention and going out to potty during the day b/c usually they are home alone). A few times the vet has taken my dog "to the back" for something and I haven't gone with but didn't ask. Twice Coke got a hotspot and had to have it shaved and cleaned, and recently Nikon needed his infected nail trimmed back, cleaned, and wrapped. This is stuff where they don't keep every supply in every exam room. They are not giving injections or anything like that without me present. My dogs go willingly and come back acting normal, it's not like they are scared of the vet or have to be muzzled. I suppose if I had a nervous dog I would ask to go with, and I doubt my vet would care. Blood draws, exams, vaccinations...most stuff is already done in the exam room, no need to ask to be present b/c I already am.

#23 ·
Yes, my vet WANTS you to be there so she can explain her findings, and show you at the same time. The only thing I'm not present for is X-rays (her machine is in rather a confined area) and surgery. I am a very curious person by nature, and I always have questions - plus I like to see what is being done, so I would not be comfortable being asked to remain in another location and would not use a vet who required me to do so.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waitinbg at the Bridge :angel:

#24 ·
I stay as well because Jazz is very nervous at the vet. The techs usually ask me if I can hold him because he's calmer with me. When he got neutered I was also with him for the induction of anesthesia.

#25 ·
Well I voted "yes no big deal" depending on the situation. I am always in the exam room with my vet no matter which dog and what they are doing. Even last week when I brought Lakota in to be spayed, I was with her right up to when they gave her the anesthisia. I admit I didn't need to see her laying there with her tongue hanging out. Since she is so nervous there, doctor thought it would be better. They also called me the minute she woke up. If my "current" vet were to ask me to take her into a room with out me I would let her, I trust them and have watched how they are trying to get Lakota to trust them.
Back in 2005 when I was taking the dogs to my other vet (horse vet) and Kiya had cluster seizures I found out that when I picked her up that night, they kept her in a cage with a muzzle on all day. I was absolutely furious and to this day haven't forgiven them for that. There was absolutely no reason to have kept a muzzle on her all day. It was horrible she was so drugged up and scared, she's been terrified of vets since then. If I say "Doctor" she looks at me like "oh no not me".

#26 ·
I'm always present and assist my vet during routine procedures. I helped the vet when Onyx had to have emergency aural hematoma surgery.
I can see the point of the animal being calmer when the owner isn't present, and the point that the owners presence is calming.
Onyx has FA with the vet, so it is usually best that I am there at her head while the vet/techs do their thing.
She isn't one that will sedate easily either, she fights it and never really gets knocked out unless they give her a huge dose.
When she had her ear surgery, even with gas, she took forever to go under.

#27 ·
Since I have multiple dogs, my vet and I have created a good relationship... he knows I do my research on health issues, am not squeamish, and am a good judge of my dogs mental state and a good presence for my dogs. In this economy his staff has gotten smaller and less experienced, so I am usually a better choice to hold the dog etc. I feel very lucky to have someone who respects my opinion and includes me in the treatment. But many owners he sees are happy to have their dog whisked to the back and then delivered back to the owner "all done". If you like your vet, just not the process, talk to him and see if he will make an exception for you. You can always "vote with your feet" and try another vet.

#28 ·
no way!! my vet usually takes the animals to a room to give shots while you wait in the lobby. I always request to go with my dog. you don't take my dog with out me bring there unless it'd something that has to be done in the back. I loved my old vet he did almost everything in front of you, he's since retired :( and I had to find a new vet. I like my new vet just not some of the vet techs. I had to remind a vet tech to give Dodger his rabies shot when I shouldn't have had to do so.

#29 ·
i`m always present when my group goes to the vets, only thing I was not present for was Max`s recent bloat surgery, and that was my choice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.