German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Take a Poll (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/take-poll/)
-   -   Does your vet permit you to stay with your dog while he is being treated? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/take-poll/159088-does-your-vet-permit-you-stay-your-dog-while-he-being-treated.html)

Catu 05-19-2011 01:43 PM

Absolutely. I've also been for small surgeries, X-Rays (lately it seems I have my own lead apron at the vet hospital) and I get my dogs to or from the kennels if they stay or have to wait for something. For big surgeries I've opted to be outside, I do not know how can react, specially if something goes wrong and the less the vet needs is to worry about his job, the patient and me.

selzer 05-19-2011 01:55 PM

I wish my dog could be present at MY doctor appointments.

I mean, maybe the doc with think twice before coming at me with that apparatus if my toothy companion was getting nervous.

Maybe they would make sure they were cutting on the right extremity if they knew my Babsy would be sitting there scrutinizing them through another procedure.

I wonder if my dog would be better than the anesthesiologists at knowing that I am awake and aware of what they are doing when I am supposed to be oblivious.

Germanshepherdlova 05-19-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Germanshepherdlova (Post 2141864)
I feel envious of some of you after reading the posts about how you were with your dog when they woke up from surgery. When my dog had surgery last month I took him in on a friday, and spoke to the vet in a consultation room to show her how he had suffered a complication from the neutering and now required a scrotal ablation. The vet told me that they would operate on him right away because he was in pain, and was running a fever from the pain, she told me to call back after 3 to see how the surgery went and then she took me dog back. I left there crying, worrying about me dog. That is the day that I found this forum. The next day (Saturday) I called the vets and told them that I wanted to see my dog so they let me see him in the consultation room. They then told me that my dog had to stay until monday, and that I couldn't call or see him on sunday because they were technically closed till then. It was a long weekend for me!

hahaha, the bold me's are supposed to be my. I reread this and was like, "what the heck?"

After reading the responses here, I looked at the poll results and was a little surprised about the results so far. More people have said yes than no. Interesting.

Samba 05-19-2011 02:27 PM

Today I was with Hogan all the time...induction, intubation, surgery and recovery. Sitting on the floor now with him.

Germanshepherdlova 05-19-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samba (Post 2142063)
Today I was with Hogan all the time...induction, intubation, surgery and recovery. Sitting on the floor now with him.

That is wonderful, although I know that I couldn't watch an actual surgery, although I would have liked to be with my dog prior to the actual surgery, and when he woke back up as well. I hope that your dog has a speedy, uncomplicated recovery.

shannonrae 05-19-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samba (Post 2142063)

This is fine, provided you were "well behaved" .;) When one of my dogs needs surgery, I usually opt out but pick another L.V.T I know and trust to sit in on the surgery. I don't have the stomach to sit in on the surgery of one of my own! :wild: I do like to recover my own pets though.

Davey Benson 05-19-2011 03:45 PM

My clinic is a small town clinic, where several of the DMV's still make house calls, and work on large animals. They are pretty relaxed with the rules reguarding acompaning your pet. I'm with my animals all I wish to be with their visits. I feel very comfortable with leaving my pets there for major treatments (spays, surgerys, etc.) I have watched part of a surgery once while consulting the surgan reguarding my own dogs care. (it was someone elses dog that was being operated on. I don't think I would like to watch my own pets surgery, too much emotional involvement there, but it was fasinating to watch someone elses pet being worked on.

Samba 05-19-2011 03:50 PM

I am a retired nurse and was director of surgery for awhile. It is not a strange environment to me and it doesn't bother me to see my dogs in the OR. I imagine that would not be the case for a lot of owners who would rather not observe all that. We all had a good time visiting as surgery progressed.

Hogan woke up a bit confused about the belly pain. He did jump right into the car though as he was motivated to go home. Pain meds on board and resting in crate now.

rebelsgirl 05-19-2011 04:24 PM

The only time I am not with my pet at the vet is if he is doing Xrays or surgery. I've never left them in the room alone with them.

I can understand tho if the owner is in a anxious state and so is the dog. My dogs do well with me at the vet tho.

Chicagocanine 05-19-2011 05:11 PM

Oops, I misread the poll and answered it wrong.
My vet lets me stay with my pets during all procedures including surgery although I've only done this with minor procedures so far (biopsy, neuter, etc...)
Although, I do trust her so I would not have a problem if she treated my dog without me present if for some reason she needed to do so, however I prefer to be there and she lets me stay with my dog for everything (except x-rays-- I leave the room while the machine is running!)