Feed Your Dog Human Food?? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Do You Feed Your Dog Table Scraps??
Always:My Dog Gets Every Meal's Leftovers 9 17.65%
Only if My Dog Doesn't Beg 4 7.84%
Occasionally...As A Treat 31 60.78%
Never! 11 21.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

I clicked "occasionally" and also "only if he doesn't beg"--not sure if both registered. Never at or near the table! You do that one time and you are doomed to being stared at during meals forever

I will add that he has to do something before getting any treat, even if it is just "sit".

Last edited by Kris10; 02-08-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Kris10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Jake gets a raw egg yolk every now and then...I don't eat the yolk, trimmings from chicken and beef before it is cooked. Any left over protein really. I just add it to his kibble that day.
He does get string cheese and hotdogs for training....

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
jakeandrenee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

Our dogs get yogurt, blueberries, apples, sweet potatoes, veges etc. Of course not with every meal But I feed partial raw as well!
Pita: Cavalier July 2011
Lesley1905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LARHAGE

I clean my refrigerator out every Saturday prior to going to the market, so I take the lid of the plastic trash can I keep the bags of kibble in and put all the food I want to clear out spread out on the lid and let all the dogs share the potpourri of goodies, all of my dogs share nicely and look so forward to this routine.

To err is human, to forgive, is canine.
LARHAGE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think the poll meant when you are done eating dinner do you give your dogs the leftovers or throw the leftovers out. I am not sure because there were two titles to the poll-very confusing?? In that case, no we don't feed any leftovers to our dogs, but they do get as treats(not off of our plates)pnut butter,carrots,apples and oranges. My minpin is absolutely addicted to those little baby carrots and he goes nuts over oranges.
Grover~terrier mix~1/28/11
Victor~GSD~(RIP)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JustMeLeslie; 02-09-2011 at 02:00 PM.
JustMeLeslie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD

Zoey doesn't get too many "extras" because of her thyroid problem which leads to really easy weight gain. She does get SMALL amounts of leftovers (only like 2-3 bites at most. On rare occasions she is allowed to have extra "nono" foods. Like Saturday she was getting a bunch of doritos during our UFC party xD) and she gets chicken necks 2-3x a week to help with her teeth.

Chance on the other hand eats pretty much anything and every thing. xD He gets left over foods from meals (And like Larhage, I give him whatever is cleaned out from the fridge each week) and "healthy" extras like meats, eggs, yogurt, cheese, ect that I buy for "him". I also sometimes put a little vegetable or olive oil on his kibble. (Plus he gets fish oil daily along with a cranberry pill, vitamin E, ester-C, joint supplement and garlic pill each day) 2-3x a week he gets RMB (mostly pig feet, turkey necks, pork necks and chicken quarters) for dental health even though I do brush his teeth. Anytime we trim meats, he gets all the fat chunks. Does wonders for his coat! So yeah, my dogs eat quite a bit of human food.
ChancetheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I feed raw so they always get human food. Vala and her kids love fruit so I share that with then. I also give left over cooked veggies or meat scraps and then I use hotdogs, cheese, left over meat and stuff in training.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I give my dog human food all the time. My vet said feeding dogs a variety of food helps reduce the chance of the dog developing food allergies.

Syaoransbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Cooked chicken, cooked beef, scrambled egg yolks, cheese of all kinds, yogurt, radishes, carrots, peas, squash, zucchini, strawberries, bananas, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, whole dates, peanuts, pretzels, popcorn, tuna...

Honestly, if it's not on my list of foods that are poisonous for dogs, they get to try it. Always as a treat, not as leftovers. I don't believe in feeding my dogs my leftovers because I love leftovers and want them for myself.
Good_Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33

haha I clicked the wrong button I should have put occasionally.
Dodger and Molly get green beans, hot dogs, chicken, sometimes steak, and I haven't given them yogurt yet but I want to give it to them one time. other than that they get no other people food. I mainly used these items and high value treats. I can't give them cheese otherwise they get nasty runny poos. sorry for the visual lol

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
DCluver33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.