If raw wasn't an option........ - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: If you couldn't feed Raw, what one of the listed foods would you use?
Blue Wilderness 8 12.31%
EVO 9 13.85%
Orijen 32 49.23%
TOTW 16 24.62%
Wellness 6 9.23%
Instinct 7 10.77%
Canidae 1 1.54%
Blue Buffalo 6 9.23%
Innova 4 6.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default If raw wasn't an option........

I was just wondering because of all the chat lately on different foods and ingredients.

Last edited by Denali Girl; 01-17-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Denali Girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

ewwww...I don't know. I have one with cancer so it has to be low carbs and another with mild HD so once again...low carbs, high O3.
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't know enough about any kibbles to make an informed decision, but I would probably do Origen because I hear so many good things about it.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I don't feed raw so this is an easy one for me. However, my brand wasn't listed. I feed Professional: The girls get Active chicken and rice formula. Dakota gets the low fat chicken and rice formula. Weegee gets the small and medium breed chicken and rice puppy formula. We love it!

Of these brands I would choose blue buffalo. ( I dont know a lot about some of these other brands so I didn't vote in your poll. I just know I read the ingredients in B.B and liked what I saw. However it is more expensive than we can afford for 4 dogs and the brand we use is high quality but a bit cheaper.)

Always loved, missed, and remembered:
Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
vicky2200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

This USED to be an easy one for me:

I had Dakota on raw and she did absolutely ah-may-zing!!! Unfortunately when gas prices went up, so did the price of everything else, and being that I live in a tourist area, food went up even more. So...I had to stop feeding raw

The ONLY food I found that worked with both Dakota's pallet AND sensitive stomach was Timberwolf Organics. Her poops were very small, which is saying something for a 75lb animal, and she had the best coat she's ever had on any kibble.

UNFORTUNATELY, a few years ago Timberwolf changed the makeup of their foods to include cheaper ingredients to save money. The bags used to read like something I would eat myself. All fresh meats/named meals and nothing questionable. Now, even though technically they are still considered a top rated food, they are not AS good by any way, shape or form. I choose to switch Dakota to a different kibble (which has been he** in the process) because THEY DID NOT INFORM THEIR CONSUMERS about the ingredient changes. They actually added some ingredients, like chicken fat, that many dogs are allergic to, and when I contacted them they said they had an allowed time frame between when they made the formula changes and when they actually had to change the bags and inform consumers. I was furious.

So fast forward to today...I have yet to find a kibble Dakota has done well on. She either itches, doesn't want to eat, or poops mountains. Right now we are on Fromm. We will see how she does on it.

Oh, how I wish I could afford raw again.

ETA: We've tried every one of those kibbles on that list, plus others. Its been a frustrating time. I'm just glad my girl is healthy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsnail17/
Kaiser2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 06:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rua
Master Member

I actually would have chosen Acana grain free if it had been on the list. I would love to try TOTW but it isn't available in my area.

As it stands though, I feed Juno raw in the mornings and Acana in the evenings with a bit of raw mince. It's worked very well for us thus far.
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Kaiser2012 have you tried the California Natural "limited ingredient" formulas?
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Sure have! Dakota is a very picky eater. She will go 4 days without eating if she doesn't like the food. I give her a few months on it, then will switch if she isn't maintaining her weight (assuming she didn't have any other negative responses).

In some cases, we've tried just samples (instead of a full bag for a few months). Heck, I've seen Dakota spit out cookies she didn't want. She is far from a food motivated dog, thats for sure lol.

We've tried all of the 6-star foods, most of the 5-star, and a few of the 4. I've tried putting her back on Timberwolf (just a year ago) but it just wasn't the same. I could tell she wasn't enthusiastic about it like she was years ago.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsnail17/
Kaiser2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I feed raw but always have a small bag of kibble on hand. I feed Acana Grainfree and rotate between the different flavors.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LARHAGE

It's funny cause my dogs just don't like Orijen, lucky me, they love Fromm Gold and all the Tasts of The Wild varieties, I like to mix the kibbles around anyway so my dogs pretty much have eaten all the brands in the poll, I add EVO or Merrick canned to the kibble and they love it, I feed raw bones weekly, but I can't do a full raw diet for all my dogs, not only does it make me want to hurl, but I just don't have the time or space for 6 dogs, I'd have to start shooting livestock in the backyard to accommodate them all every day.

To err is human, to forgive, is canine.
LARHAGE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.