German Shepherds Forum banner

The Dog Whisperer Cesar Millan...love him or hate him?

• Love him

Votes: 99 32.2%
  • He's ok

Votes: 121 39.4%
  • Don't care one way or another.

Votes: 48 15.6%
  • Hate him.

Votes: 39 12.7%

The Dog Whisperer Cesar Millan...love him or hate him?

29K views 230 replies 79 participants last post by  Arlene/Archer 
#1 ·
The Dog Whisperer Cesar Millan...love him or hate him? Take a poll.

#7 ·
He amuses me. The only thing that amuses me more is when people with about 5 minutes of actual dog experience try to mimic his methods. Every time I hear "Ssssst!" in Petsmart I just roll my eyes.
:rofl: I love that too

I put "he's ok"

I'm not a fan of his, I do not like most of his "methods" but he is helping more dogs than he's hurting.

#4 ·
Ssssssstt Poll should be there now. :)

#6 ·
I votes "He's ok" because he does seem to have his heart in the right place. He's a great personality to watch, at least entertainment wise. He takes on cases that a lot of other trainers probably won't which is a plus. I'm not a big fan of the whole alpha roll type with a nervous or reactive dog, but he does have some good methods.

I think overall, he seems like a pretty good guy. The world (dog world included) is probably a better place with him in it.

#10 ·
I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on dog training or behavior. I'm still trying to potty train Dutch :)

Watching his show, however, I think a lot of his method is based on his personal connection with dogs. It makes for an interesting show, but it's not something that can easily be taught, and even more difficult to learn. Some people just have a very calm, almost zen-like connection with animals, and I think he's one of them. The way he establishes dominance almost immediately is fascinating, but how do you teach that?

I've also watched that show, "It's Me or the Dog" with Victoria Stilwell and I think she deals with actual methods and training tools. I found her show to be more useful as a first-time dog owner.

#111 ·
Watching his show, however, I think a lot of his method is based on his personal connection with dogs. It makes for an interesting show, but it's not something that can easily be taught, and even more difficult to learn. Some people just have a very calm, almost zen-like connection with animals, and I think he's one of them. The way he establishes dominance almost immediately is fascinating, but how do you teach that?

I've also watched that show, "It's Me or the Dog" with Victoria Stilwell and I think she deals with actual methods and training tools. I found her show to be more useful as a first-time dog owner.
I agree. I think the best approach is to take what works for you & your dog. :)

Kristina

#11 ·
I didn't take part in the poll because I don't hate him - I just don't like most of his methods or his show. The things that he says that I agree with have been said by a hundred people before him with the difference that he is a good business man and knew how to market himself.

#13 ·
I LOVE him and I don't care who knows it. HA! He really does take on the hopeless cases. He is the last resort for many dogs. I still remember the episode with the shelter rottweiler - very people aggressive, had a bite history, etc. He was to be PTS, unless he was given a chance to be on the show. That was one scary dog. I would not have approached him.
Cesar not only rehabilitated the dog, but the dog now belongs to his son. I was amazed.

And most of all - I wish I had one ounce of Cesar's calm, serene, relaxed nature. My blood pressure would be so low. No. You can't teach that. Sure wish ya could.

#72 ·
I LOVE him and I don't care who knows it. HA! He really does take on the hopeless cases. He is the last resort for many dogs. I still remember the episode with the shelter rottweiler - very people aggressive, had a bite history, etc. He was to be PTS, unless he was given a chance to be on the show. That was one scary dog. I would not have approached him.
Cesar not only rehabilitated the dog, but the dog now belongs to his son. I was amazed.

And most of all - I wish I had one ounce of Cesar's calm, serene, relaxed nature. My blood pressure would be so low. No. You can't teach that. Sure wish ya could.
My sentiments exactly!! :)

#16 ·
I think he's unoriginal and (no offense) the accent irritates me. I much prefer Victoria Stillwell. Alpha rolls are mostly unsuccessful and just compound the issue. I loved the South Park episode where they made fun of him with Cartman.

#44 ·
I actually don't think they made fun of him at all in that episode. It seemed more like they were praising him.

I think there has to be a balance between positive rewards and corrections in dog training. I think it's stupid how many people try pinning their dogs to the ground even after it says that huge message not to try it at home. He's not a dog trainer, he's a behaviorist, and all those people sitting in front of the tv alpha rolling their dogs because it didn't listen to a 'sit' command are doing their dogs a disservice.

I've taken away all I can from cesar millan's methods, so now I just watch to see if he gets bit:popcorn::D.

#17 ·
I chose "he's ok"

I watch every episode of his show because I love anything dog related. I loved the episode with the 2 black GSD's :wub:.

I dont agree with everything he does, like sticking a racket in a dogs face or forcing the dog to submit but some things I do agree with like when he exercises the dogs and tells people how important it is to make sure your dog is not fat and gets plenty of physical and mental stimulation.

Some of the things he says blows my mind, I find myself sitting there thinking that he is a loon that somehow got a tv show. But he is helping dogs that were almost pts. So he gets points for that. So he's ok IMO.

P.S. I prefer Victoria Stillwell's positive training over Cesar, but I think she tends to give too many treats to the dogs.

#18 ·
Ok. So I just wanted to explain that one of the main reasons that I dislike him (and even though i put down hate, i really think that's too strong a word) was because as a trainer I have so mnay poeple who come to me for help and then insist that "ceasar doesn't do that" or "ceasar does it this way." It makes it hard to help someone if they are constantly trying to correct what you are saying because you are teaching a different method for a different type of dog. I agree that he helps alot of dogs who are on their last hope, and what he does is great for them, but that doesn't mean that what he does is how you are supposed to train a puppy with no issues. It ends up causing issues in my book. Anyway, that's my two cents.

#19 ·
You can't teach dominance. There are mousy people all over this world, and they are typically the ones with dogs that are out of control or mousy themselves. In human groups, a "rank" of status is immediately formed in any situation. Dogs size us up just by reading posture and body language, the same way we spot people and read everything they aren't saying. We say more with mannerisms and with gestures than we do with words. 90% of all communication is nonverbal. People giving their weaknesses away with their body language is hard to correct. I know dogs pick up on it. My dog does. I swear he is different on days when I feel confident and centered than he does on days where the stress-o-meter with the kid and husband and house has blown off the charts and I lose my center.

#22 ·
You can't teach dominance.
Not to be argumentative, but I think you can. I'm a fairly quiet, go-with-the-flow person. In a human "pack" you could call me submissive. But over 7 years of fostering has taught me dog dominance. I'm still people-submissive but have developed what my mom calls "Dog Gravitas."

#20 ·
This is a hard poll. For me, I don't "Love" him. I marked he is OK. The thing is, I agree with the majority here in that his heart seems to be in the right place. He's helping dogs, regardless of his methods. A lot of the cases he takes probably would have a much different outcome if it were not for him.

The interesting part is that while I have come to question some of his methods- if it were not for Cesar, his show, and his books (of which I've read two of the four), there is little chance I would have considered putting Pimg in an obedience class. Cesar is in many ways my "gateway drug" into the world of obedience and basic dog care. I probably wouldn't be as interested as I am if it were not for him.

So maybe I should have marked "love him" after all.

#28 ·
I just said I dont like it.

I wouldn't approach an aggressive dog in the first place so I wouldn't know how to approach one correctly but I personally wouldn't chase a dog and corner it and I wouldn't stick a racket in his face either.

You asked what I dont like about him so I told you.

:shrug:

#31 ·
I just said I dont like it.

I wouldn't approach an aggressive dog in the first place so I wouldn't know how to approach one correctly but I personally wouldn't chase a dog and corner it and I wouldn't stick a racket in his face either.

You asked what I dont like about him so I told you.

:shrug:

I know that's why I said I was playing devil's advocate......I agree with you.

#55 ·
Wonder how many of the folks who don't like or don't agree with his methods are advocates of "Positive only" approach to dog training? That belief would certainly be a big reason not to like Cesar's approach since he does believe in using corrections for a dog.
I put he's okay and my dogs are trained using 99.99% positive training.

I'd like to see him train a dog without issues so I could see if he trains all dogs this way, or just the tough ones. That would make a difference to me. The point being, I don't think compulsion should be a trainer's first option.

#38 ·
I don't know about his methods working so well for him either, have you ever seen when his pack goes into a all-out brawl? All of his "PHSSST!"ing is useless.. He and his staff have to manhandle the dogs.

I do not like choking, jabbing, 'pssting', yanking, and physically making dogs do what you want.

And the whole 'alpha roll' - NO. The 'alpha wolf' does not force his or her subjects to the ground on hold them while they struggle unless she's going to do them serious harm, the lower ranking wolves roll FOR her, without a fight.

His methods are for a quick fix, they are not teaching a dog what is right and what' wrong, and using the right punishment. They are using fear, pain, and very old-school methods..

Not EVERY one of his methods are bad, I won't say that. But he is no dog training Guru. In one of his pack fights - like I said - every dog ignored him.

This dog here is terrified.. Yes, when he was physically spent he gave up. So every time he reacts to a person his owners flip him and fight him until he's given up?

I wouldn't call that a poke in the side to 'get their attention'. He put a prey animal in front of a hunting dog.. wow.

Near the end here, he's choking her with one hand while holding her neck with the other. All she's doing is showing a normal behavior for her breed and she's with the wrong **** owners. I'm not saying don't training with your DA dog, but you're going to choke her out for reacting?

And if that's one of his toughest cases, he's missing out. I've handled several dogs like her and the biggest 'fix' is exercise and obedience.

See, maybe I am more against it because I know what it is. Have any of you ever been choked? Truly choked? Meaning your air was cut off for more than a second or two by force on your neck/throat. It is pain, everything pounds, your head spins, it feels like every nerve in your face is screaming at you. It's ridiculous and to do it purposely to an animal as a form of punishment is ever more so.

I have used prong and shock collars on myself before putting them on my dogs. They give a quick correction, a sting that stops after a few seconds. I'm not against using them properly. I am against choking a dog until it can't fight anymore to 'correct'.

#39 ·
I don't know about his methods working so well for him either, have you ever seen when his pack goes into a all-out brawl? All of his "PHSSST!"ing is useless.. He and his staff have to manhandle the dogs.

I do not like choking, jabbing, 'pssting', yanking, and physically making dogs do what you want.

And the whole 'alpha roll' - NO. The 'alpha wolf' does not force his or her subjects to the ground on hold them while they struggle unless she's going to do them serious harm, the lower ranking wolves roll FOR her, without a fight.

His methods are for a quick fix, they are not teaching a dog what is right and what' wrong, and using the right punishment. They are using fear, pain, and very old-school methods..

Not EVERY one of his methods are bad, I won't say that. But he is no dog training Guru. In one of his pack fights - like I said - every dog ignored him.

This dog here is terrified.. Yes, when he was physically spent he gave up. So every time he reacts to a person his owners flip him and fight him until he's given up?
YouTube - Imprisoned Dog

I wouldn't call that a poke in the side to 'get their attention'. He put a prey animal in front of a hunting dog.. wow.
YouTube - Dog Whisperer -- Corrections

Near the end here, he's choking her with one hand while holding her neck with the other. All she's doing is showing a normal behavior for her breed and she's with the wrong **** owners. I'm not saying don't training with your DA dog, but you're going to choke her out for reacting?
YouTube - Cesar's Toughest Cases.m4v
And if that's one of his toughest cases, he's missing out. I've handled several dogs like her and the biggest 'fix' is exercise and obedience.

See, maybe I am more against it because I know what it is. Have any of you ever been choked? Truly choked? Meaning your air was cut off for more than a second or two by force on your neck/throat. It is pain, everything pounds, your head spins, it feels like every nerve in your face is screaming at you. It's ridiculous and to do it purposely to an animal as a form of punishment is ever more so.

I have used prong and shock collars on myself before putting them on my dogs. They give a quick correction, a sting that stops after a few seconds. I'm not against using them properly. I am against choking a dog until it can't fight anymore to 'correct'.
Excellent post! :thumbup:

#42 ·
I do think that his message of making sure your dog gets lots of exercise and has rules and limitations is very important.

The rest of Cesar, for me, is pure entertainment. I enjoy seeing people who have such difficult dogs because it makes my dogs look like angels. :) Also seeing clueless owners makes me feel smarter.

#43 ·
I like the more recent episodes a lot more than the older ones. He seems to be getting a lot less heavy-handed from how he dealt with dogs originally, which is a good thing, especially since a lot of people watch his show once or twice and then use his methods (or what they believe his methods are).

His accent bugs me, too.

What really annoys me is all this crap that is now being marketed with his name on it. There's a ton of it at PetCo and also at the PX, from collapsible bowls to treat containers, to cheap toys, to leashes and collars. There's even a magazine now, "Cesar's Way" that I saw in the magazine rack at my grocery store today. XD Marketing overkill!

#45 ·
I like the more recent episodes a lot more than the older ones. He seems to be getting a lot less heavy-handed from how he dealt with dogs originally, which is a good thing, especially since a lot of people watch his show once or twice and then use his methods (or what they believe his methods are).

His accent bugs me, too.

What really annoys me is all this crap that is now being marketed with his name on it. There's a ton of it at PetCo and also at the PX, from collapsible bowls to treat containers, to cheap toys, to leashes and collars. There's even a magazine now, "Cesar's Way" that I saw in the magazine rack at my grocery store today. XD Marketing overkill!
How do you feel about Stillwells accent?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.