Stop asking me if he is German Shepherd! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 45Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Dracovich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 477
Stop asking me if he is German Shepherd!

I get it, people are curious, people don't know, but you can only handle the same sentence for so long before you go clinically insane LOL. "What is he? . . . He's all German Shepherd? . . . Are you sure? . . . I've never seen an all black Shepherd"

I should start a business making hand out cards for black shepherd owners so we don't have to explain a million times every time we are out with our dogs.

I get tired of the questions, but it's even WORSE when people want to argue, they don't believe me, they tell me he is a Belgian shepherd. Maybe I should start having people guess and just tell them they are right no matter what they guess :P

Draco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dracovich is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:07 PM
Crowned Member
 
Chip18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Dayton NV
Posts: 7,170
LOL well I guess "online" I'm doing worst than you as in "GSD sure but WL" I don't know.

In the real world, my most frequently asked question is "Is he a Wolf???" Actual "GSD" owners and we have met a few ... never ask that question. But I have also heard the "I have never seen a Black GSD before question. But that's fine with me as I get the "I have not seen a White Boxer" before question also.

You just gotta roll with it or next time just get a "Black and Tan" GSD and make "JQP" happy.
Chip18 is offline  
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:13 PM
Member
 
Erica0629's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: California
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovich View Post
I get it, people are curious, people don't know, but you can only handle the same sentence for so long before you go clinically insane LOL. "What is he? . . . He's all German Shepherd? . . . Are you sure? . . . I've never seen an all black Shepherd"

I should start a business making hand out cards for black shepherd owners so we don't have to explain a million times every time we are out with our dogs.

I get tired of the questions, but it's even WORSE when people want to argue, they don't believe me, they tell me he is a Belgian shepherd. Maybe I should start having people guess and just tell them they are right no matter what they guess :P
I always have people ask me if Mila is a mix, they are always shocked around here when they see her. It seems like everyone who has a GSD that isn't the classic black and tan has to endure these questions lol I've never had someone argue with me about it, usually I tell them a little about her DDR lines and they think it's interesting. I could see how having an argument started over it would drive you crazy!!! That is honestly just rude on their part, common sense is not as common as you'd hope.
Erica0629 is offline  
 
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:27 PM
Crowned Member
 
RZZNSTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Travis County, Texas
Posts: 3,887
Valor is black and I get asked all the time what kind of dog he is or they say in a inquisitive tone "is that a German Shepherd?". I don't get wrapped around the axel about it but when someone stops and looks at him you know that question is coming...
Dracovich likes this.
RZZNSTR is offline  
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:28 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 4
A friend of mine used to have an English Bulldog, and the amount of people asking if she was a Sher-Pei or a Pug when she was young was staggering. LOL!

I'm pretty much expecting people to ask about my pup when I get him. It'll be obnoxious, but also probably funny to see what other people come up with :P
GSDany is offline  
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:46 PM
Crowned Member
 
selzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denmark, Ohio
Posts: 30,246
At least his ears are up. My first GSD was almost all black -- a dark bi-color, with drop ears. I got, "Is he a Lab?" a lot.
RZZNSTR and Dracovich like this.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
selzer is offline  
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:06 PM
Crowned Member
 
RZZNSTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Travis County, Texas
Posts: 3,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
At least his ears are up. My first GSD was almost all black -- a dark bi-color, with drop ears. I got, "Is he a Lab?" a lot.
We were discussing this very topic a while back. I can't remember who it was (Chip18 maybe!) but I said someone asked if Val was a Lab. When I posted that whoever it was and I apologize if it wasn't you Chip, but they said to say "yes, he is one of those rare pointy eared Labs". That just cracked me up. I got some mileage out of it...
RZZNSTR is offline  
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Dracovich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZZNSTR View Post
We were discussing this very topic a while back. I can't remember who it was (Chip18 maybe!) but I said someone asked if Val was a Lab. When I posted that whoever it was and I apologize if it wasn't you Chip, but they said to say "yes, he is one of those rare pointy eared Labs". That just cracked me up. I got some mileage out of it...
Yeah I remember reading that comment, I googled "prick eared lab", "lab with ears up" and "lab with standing ears", NOTHING, just a few pics of black GSD puppies and a bunch of regular lab pictures.

You'd think with how many black K9 officers there are out there people wouldn't be surprised. They think those are Labs doing protection work? LOL
RZZNSTR likes this.

Draco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dracovich is offline  
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:02 PM
Crowned Member
 
Chip18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Dayton NV
Posts: 7,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDany View Post
A friend of mine used to have an English Bulldog, and the amount of people asking if she was a Sher-Pei or a Pug when she was young was staggering. LOL!

I'm pretty much expecting people to ask about my pup when I get him. It'll be obnoxious, but also probably funny to see what other people come up with :P
Ok ... some people are just flat clueless??
Chip18 is offline  
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:12 PM
Elite Member
 
CindyMDBecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 1,137
I briefly owned a Caucasian Ovcharka & people would literally ask "he's a white what?" Just assumed the "Caucasian" part meant he was white. Wow. LOL

Garrison - GSD
Cupid - terrier mix (shelter rescue)
Stella Artois - lab/boxer (?) mix (shelter rescue)
5 kitties, 1 goldfish, 1 cockatiel
CindyMDBecker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome