Coyote as a pet? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 105Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 127 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Coyote as a pet?

I recently joined a neighborhood forum. I just came across a post of someone in a community not even a mile away from me posting that their pet coyote is missing! Further down the forum few people in that community posted about spotting a coyote, 1 person claiming that it ate a small dog. Is having a coyote as a pet legal? How safe would that be? There is a pic showing this coyote sniffing a nose of a small child. Thoughts?

Tasha's Mom, Coleen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 127 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 05:42 PM

A wild animal can never be a PET, it took decades to domesticate dogs, probably hundreds of years of selective breeding before they are even actual pets. There are still people breeding to make dogs that are more and more docile.

I sure am interested in owning a wolf or wolfdog, but I would NEVER force it to live the life of a house pet. There are plenty of wolfdog rescues because people try to do this and it doesn't work out. It is the same exact issue with coydogs and coyotes.

This is not like taking in a fawn and raising it, hand feeding it and loving on it, because deer are herbivores/prey. A deer would essentially be like a goat, and people don't (normally) take goats on car rides, walks and share meals in the same room with them. People do that with dogs, and wolves and coyotes do not end up like dogs.

Letting this animal around kids is very irresponsible no matter how trustworthy the owner thinks it is. I know my dog is good with kids but I still am cautious with him.

As far as legalities it depends on your area, but in my area it's not very difficult to get a permit to own a wild animal, depending on the animal, lots of people here own wolves, haven't met anyone with a tiger. Call your local police department, there's usually a 'receptionist' who can answer questions and note your concerns to have someone look into it.

Draco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 127 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 05:43 PM

Legalities will depend on several things including state and city ordinances (do you need liability insurance, what kind of licensing [USDA?]) as well as regulations put on specific neighborhoods, etc. It's probably not what I would call safe. I have a degree in large carnivore studies and actually raised wolves at the International Wolf Center while I was in college, and I've never advocated for keeping wild animals as pets. Even wolfdogs make me nervous, but if they come from lines far removed from properly "wild" wolves and the right people own them (educated people who have made proper accommodations,)...to each their own, I guess.

Coyotes are even more flighty than wolves and have extremely high prey drives when it comes to small animals. I'd think about reporting the person. If they've truly "domesticated" the animal, that basically means they've socialized it and lowered the animals natural instinct to stay away from people, only emboldening it so that it feels safe going after small dogs in the neighborhood.

Out here in North Texas we have coyotes all over the place and they're becoming a big nuisance, going after dogs and cats. Trying to keep one as a "pet" is not the best idea.
Coleen likes this.

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female
Wolfram - West German Showline Male Pup

post #4 of 127 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 05:54 PM
Elite Member

Illinois
Deb, Coleen, Dracovich and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 127 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:03 PM
Knighted Member

I wonder if it is just a troll trying to get a rise out of people. Have you seen that facebook thing where the person photoshopped a coyote on the couch with their toddler texting the huband saying "look at the dog we found, can we keep it?"
onyx'girl likes this.
post #6 of 127 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:14 PM
Crowned Member

Interesting ... most likely as time goes by "it will happen??" There is always that guy. But without a permit ... in "NV" it is illegal. Wild Animals belong to the state. But ..."NV" you know kinda the "Whatever" state ...here's your permit ... good luck ...most likely ... see you in court down the road???

As has been stated ... domesticating a "Wild Animal" ... is not a good idea??? Wolves and Wolf Dog Hybrids have a long sad history of fails. No reason to think that Coyotes or CoyDogs would not turn out the same way??

Some people can't even train/control "Dogs!"
post #7 of 127 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:25 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbale View Post
If they've truly "domesticated" the animal, that basically means they've socialized it and lowered the animals natural instinct to stay away from people, only emboldening it so that it feels safe going after small dogs in the neighborhood.
That is already happening "Coyotes" are everywhere. I saw one at our local Quickie Mart one night and I suspect ... "Rockyed saw or sensed them one night on walk??

Off leash and on point ...he did the ear alert thing as he peered into the darkness ... he looked at me once and turned around and headed for home! I looked into the darkness and saw or heard nothing??? But I followed him home.
post #8 of 127 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:25 PM
Knighted Member

If it's local, do you know anyone who knows the person to find out if it's true?
post #9 of 127 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:33 PM

My opinion is definitely should not be taking in a coyote for their family's safety as well as the neighbors. To me this a big ***** to all the neighbors and pretty much saying we do not care about anyone's else's safety. If they rescued a baby they should have brought it to the state and let them handle the situation. If I was to see a coyote I would shoot it and not think twice. Think about you family and neighbors. Total disregard for anyone else.

Last edited by Castlemaid; 03-31-2017 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Swearing
post #10 of 127 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:43 PM

They're around, in some states. If you go to bird & game breeder swaps / meetings, you'll meet people who are into keeping these types of animals.

The fact that they're sharing pictures in public venues makes me doubt they're responsible and careful people... the individuals I know who are legally involved with wild animals (wolves/mixes, raptors, etc) tend to be VERY private as they do NOT want to attract unwanted attention. Posting pictures like that screams for attention and problems....
Deb, Chip18 and Coleen like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page