German Shepherds Forum banner

Just got attacked!

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Sabis mom 
#1 ·
So Kimber and I are walking to the park and out comes a black lab charging across the street at us with her teeth showing! She grabbed onto Kimbers back hip and I automatically started to kick this dog away. This dog repeatedly charged us about 7 different times as I'm yelling for help! Finally a neighbor came out with a hose to scare the dog off! Then the owner comes out and apologizing saying his daughter left the gate open and he knows his dog is aggressive! Kimber has one little tooth mark on her paw. Unbelievable! This just happened 30 minutes ago!

#2 ·
Glad no one was seriously injured!Could've been so much worse.Hope the owner pays closer attention and makes sure that gate is secured.

#3 ·
Ugh, btdt. How is your dog taking it? Getting bit definitely had a negative impact on my dog's feelings towards other dogs... Though he was lukewarm to begin with. Something to keep an eye on.

We've in one year we've had at least 8 loose dogs come at us. Some were repeats. It drives me crazy.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Where is the wound? If it's a puncture, you need to go to the vets.

Reactions: llombardo
#13 ·
Agree. The area should be shaved either way, so it can be clean and stay clean, A puncture might need to be drained and antiobiotics needed. Dog bites can cause infection if not treated right. If it's just a cut, shave and keeping it clean might be all that is needed.

I would also look for other wounds to make sure. I'm not a fan of using peroxide for pretty much anything.

#10 ·
I would use peroxide. When the schools stopped using it and hospitals started frowning upon it, I asked my vet about peroxide. She said she would definitely use peroxide. I like that it cleans things out and stops bleeding. It is said that it kills good tissue as well as bad. I say, I don't care, because the good tissue will grow back and it will kill the bad stuff. Just my 2 cents. I'm old school. Probably, because I am old. HA!

#15 ·
I would use the peroxide ONE TIME only. With the good tissue damage, if you continue to use you're sort of working against yourself on the healing aspect. Ask your vet about Vetericyn, you can usually get it cheaper online. I agree if it's a puncture a vet is needed, and I'd personally be presenting the neighbor with the bill. For your dog, getting her around well behaved dogs soon is key to preventing fears and aggression, I think. My girl went to day care a week after her attack, played well with others as the saying goes, even Pits who looked like the one who attacked her. Good luck!

#17 ·
I still feel bad for having to kick that dog several times all because of a irresponsible owner. But I had to do it, that lab didn't even come up and sniff Kimber it was a instant bite and kept coming back for more. I had no choice but to defend her.

#21 ·
It's many reasons why we take the same walking route in the neighbor hood although that does not mean much anything can happen. I was walking with Max and my daughter - my daughter was walking Max and a Labrador was loose charging the yard I just stepped in front and the owners called their dog before it left the property. The dog promptly obeyed. All was good. Max was great and did not even react.

I'm glad you dog is okay and looks like a scratch. Accidents happen and dogs get out -it is good to be prepared -even though I go for walks with nothing in hand I probably should.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.