German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wish People Would Mind Their Own Business

29K views 328 replies 62 participants last post by  dogma13 
#1 ·
Sorry but I have to rant!

I bought Ronin a prong collar for training on walks and to help with the lunging and barking when people walk by the house. I've only had one for a couple of days, as I've mentioned in another post, and he's doing wonderfully! We always use praise when working with it as well so that he associates it with good things.

However, people can't leave well enough alone. I took Ronin for his 2nd walk last night (I take him for one in the mornings as well) and it was just in the graveyard near our house. It's always quiet and no one is usually in there so I was expecting a nice relaxing stroll. Ronin had his prong collar on and we were having a great time. The this woman comes running up from behind us, which wasn't smart in the first place.

She stopped in front of us when we moved over to let her pass, because I thought she was jogger at first, but she stopped and demanded to know if I had a prong collar on him. When I said yes she told me that I was a terrible human being and that I should take the prong collar off him right that minute. That I was a "lazy a**" for not learning how to train my dog properly and that I was abusing him.

Now, in that time, Ronin had sat quietly at my side, no pressure on the collar. Under previous circumstances he would have been lunging and trying to bite the woman. I told her that that was her opinion and to have a nice day and started to walk away. I'm not justifying anything to her. Then she pulled out her phone and threatened to call the cops on me and have me arrested for animal abuse. I turned around, said "You go right ahead and watch as I laugh when they tell you you're an idiot" and kept on going.

The woman followed me out of the graveyard and down the street back to my house! She was absolutely nuts! No cops were called, or if they were they didn't come and see me, but still! She even tried to grab at Ronin's leash once, and I yanked it away, and Ronin growled at her. I told her to leave me alone or I would be calling the cops. What a crazy night! Why can't people mind their own business! How I train my dog is no one's concern but my own. He loves the prong collar because he associates it with walks and treats.

People in my area are crazy!

End of rant!

See less See more
#4 ·
Ouch!
I'm lucky she doesn't live near me. I've accidently stepped on my dogs foot when he's having a reactive episode (we're working on it) and he shrieks like a banshee. I must sound like the worst owner in the world if someone hears that and thinks I'm punishing him, as opposed to mutual klutz moment.
Anyhoo, back to the prong collar, just buy a nice bandana if you just want to avoid the issue all together.
There is nothing you can do to change her mind. (and she needs to learn that statement likewise).
Never engage with an idiot<--should be a t-shirt, huh?

#5 · (Edited)
My experience is that few people understand prong collars and how to use them in training, but everyone seems to have an opinion about them (some a bit more over the top than others, as you found out). The moment someone reached for my dog and possibly put themselves in position for a bite from my dog I would have called the police. I congratulate you and your puppy for the control it took to avoid a bite when this person tried to take your dog. Calling the police is not a suggestion to teach this person a lesson or make a point, it would possibly protect your dog should this person again try to confront you with even more force and your dog apply a bite.

#19 ·
Agreed. We were warned about this when our trainer recommended a prong. Fortunately, while I've met others who told stories about getting yelled at by total strangers, we haven't run into this (yet - knock on wood). I assume people judge me all the time for things but they at least have the decency to keep quiet.

I agree, I'd make animal control or the police aware of what happened so that if she escalates, it's on record that she was provoking you/your dog.

#6 ·
I have a black nylon cover for my prong collar - it does not interfere with the function of the collar and it keeps the uninformed away. When I am leash training a new foster is certainly saves my poor old shoulder.

Seems like we already get enough stink-eye for just having a GSD in the first place - so it is just easier to disguise the prong collar than it is to try and educate someone about them. I have gotten lectures from people who have a "choke chain" on their dog, telling me how barbaric a prong collar is.

#11 ·
I think in some parts out west they are, but not here in Eastern Canada for sure.

As for her knowing where I live, I won't worry about it too much. Ronin is scary when he needs to be, and on his own property is a completely different dog than out and about. If she comes back, I will call the police without question.

Reactions: dogma13
#20 ·
Holy cow. That is ridiculous. Now, with that said, I do not use them. That is for a very personal reason. When I was an animal cop in WA state, we went to rescue a dog that had been left outside for an unknown amount of time, pretty much no food and rancid water. When we approached the scene, we noticed his collar - it was the prong kind. Completely embedded in his neck. That baby did not deserve that. It took 2 surgeries to remove, months of retraining to make him adoptable. I have nothing against those that use it and utilize it correctly, I just cannot bring myself to even think about using them.

#21 ·
I totally get that! And that is very much your choice and I would never tell someone that they had to use one. :) I also think that you wouldn't come up and yell at me for using one. That's all I want. I want people to keep their thoughts to themselves and not bother us. As for that poor dog, that is terrible! I get why you would never use one after that. In that situation I hope the previous owner was punished for doing that to the poor thing. I always make sure that when the walk is done or his training is done, it comes off and his regular buckle collar goes back on.

#25 ·
Sounds like you and Ronin held it together pretty good. I really don't see the need people have to try and demand their beliefs on others. Rosko wears a prong collar. The one puppy class I took him to the trainer spent 15 minutes explaining that a pinch collar is non abusive. Then when he noticed Rosko wearing a prong he was questioning why is he wearing a prong. I said cause it's the tool I prefer and if used appropriately is no more abusive than a flat collar He said "as long as your super gentle". But he clearly didn't like.

#27 ·
Our previous trainers are vastly opposed to prong collars and we were told if we used them in their classes they would have be taken off and a buckle collar put on or we would be kicked out of the class. So we never explored prong collars. His new trainer, that's all he uses. He is not opposed to any other kinds, but that is the kind he prefers for his dogs so I know he knows how to properly use them. I did my research on them before trying one, and I have to say, the different I see in those dogs is amazing. WHEN USED CORRECTLY. If not, then they can damage and inflict pain.

The woman was obviously having a problem with me, but again, I didn't engage in conversation or an argument, because you really can't reason with those people.

#26 ·
I am so happy that Ronin didn't react to this! There is no way I would act the way this woman did towards someone holding a leash to a dog. You never know the temperament of the dog or how it will react to someone who is threatening their owner.

And I'd never be aggressive towards someone in a graveyard... too many places they could hide my body :wink2:

#28 ·
He did great! I was surprised he didn't. Especially since I was no doubt stiffening up and normally he would have been growling and lunging by that point. She was just that mad at me I guess. Not that it's her right to do that, but the good thing was that I was between here and Ronin when she reached for the leash. Ronin was on my right side and she was coming up behind me on the left. I just couldn't believe that she was being so aggressive that way. When she threatened the cops I wasn't nervous since I know a K9 cop and they use prong collars on all their dogs. A lot of the cops here would have set her straight, told her to go home and I would have continued on my way.

As for the graveyard...they are digging out a new spot for a new flower garden there I heard :wink2:

Reactions: dogma13
#29 ·
See. I only silently judge people for using prongs. Maybe I should be like this lady

Of course my judgment is usually more along the lines of OMG why is that collar so heavy, and so far down on the neck that the dog can still pull!? And jeez are those tags hanging off? :p

I did a paracord wrap around our prong. I don't use it much anyways but like that I don't have to worry about popped links or crazies seeing it.

#30 ·
Haha in that situation I would want you to come up and say I had it in the wrong spot. I'm okay with that. I would appreciate it actually. Also, he has no tags on his prong collar. :p I will silently judge and think things when I see a dog being allowed to pull and tug on the owner and they don't care. And Ronin is just walking quietly beside me. I had one person comment on that when her chocolate lab was running all over the place dragging her around. She asked me my secret and I just said, "Good training". She just kind of said, "Oh. Well I'm not so good at that." I just told her to hire a good trainer. Some people have no clue what to do with their dogs.

#50 ·
I've done a paracord cover as well. I also added a metal snap buckle.

Pretty in pink.
Maybe it's a girl thing? I like fancy collars, so decorating a prong, why not?
But seriously, there are some places where avoiding trouble is a good idea (Quebec, for instance)

#35 ·
You guys would probably tell me I'm doing it wrong then. I put a link back in Roskos prong. He doesn't pull and it isn't tight. If I need to give him a slight correction I can but very rarely does he need it. Don't ask me why I don't just use a flat collar. He walks good on them also. The prong just seems a little quicker or more convenient.

#38 ·
I'm not a fan of prongs.

I particularly don't like people who ask how soon they can use it when they are considering an 8 week old puppy.

But if they are not illegal, the lady should have minded her own business. She was pretty crazy, and maybe looking her in the eye, and saying something to make her think you are just as crazy, might have gotten her gone quicker. Maybe.

#46 ·
Ha ha I never thought of that, I was just more interested in getting away from her. Not that she made that easy. As for a prong, I get a lot of people aren't fans of them and I wasn't either until I had to really start looking at new methods of training for Ronin because he was just getting out of hand.

#41 ·
Why would you want that? I mean, I have seen a little old guy with a lackland terrier and he had his remote control in his hand, collar on the dog and a prong collar on him, and a bunch of treats, and the little monster BIT my dog. Usually I am quicker than that, so I was ticked at myself. My dog was fine, but that little monster needed a muzzle. The thing was, we were in classes, and that old guy needed to be there, so I didn't want to make a big fuss. He and his wife had two of these dogs, and the female was ok, but the male...

#40 ·
Whoa you both handled that well. Crazy lady invading your space at night in a graveyard trying to take your dogs leash - sounds like she had some screws loose. A good idea to bring your phone. She is lucky you did not call the cops. She was able to see the prong collar in the dark? Have you seen her before -sounds creepy.

#47 ·
It was more of dusk at that point. Starting to get dark, but could still see decently well. When she saw us, it was probably when we were walking through a pretty open spot and the sun was still on us so she must have noticed it then. Or she was walking by when we were on our way in to the graveyard and saw us. Not sure, but either way she was a nut. I did have my phone on me, but of course, it died in my pocket. lol Almost time for me to get a new one. I know some people around the area and could have run to them if I had had to and used their phone. I kind of know who she is. I think she lives a few streets away from us if it is her, and she kind of has a reputation for being a nut. We have a few of those in our area.

We didn't go for a walk in the graveyard last night because of that. I went a completely different route and never saw her. On the plus side, Ronin's doing very well on the collar. He just automatically stays with me, other than to sometimes go a few feet and sniff at something, but I'm okay with that. Walks are meant to be fun. :)

#44 ·
lol, that's the most ghetto thing i seen all day. no offense.

i don't leave prongs on when just chillin'. your bark collar is needed 'cause i doubt many dogs like to be tethered to a cinderblock. even with a fenced yard i won't leave a dog outside by itself longer to run to the bathroom or the fridge for a beer. that's just me though. i don't always trust these dogs. plus it's nice to sit outside a few times a day.

#54 ·
I had no idea prongs were so controversial. I've used them with my dogs for years and never had anyone say anything.

Personally, I think allowing your dog to pull, lunge, or bark unnecessarily at passer-bys is a far worse offense than using a prong collar. GSDs aren't small dogs and once they're full grown, they can and will easily scare someone with those behaviors. A prong correction on a dog is very simple and effective and you're not even hurting them - my dogs have never whimpered or yelped from a correction and they're perfectly happy on leash with them.

I definitely agree they need to come straight off after a walk though.

I wouldn't have taken kindly to the lady who got up in your face about it.

#56 ·
I wanted to punch her, to be honest, but I've never hit anyone in my life and wasn't going to start then lol. My husband would probably have told her where to go and what to do if you get my meaning, but he's not as nice as me. :wink2:

Reactions: Ripley2016
#59 ·
What you say, has to be quick and aggressive -- not explanations, not threats you don't want to carry out (protection training). If she threatens to call the cops, whip out your phone and say, "Here, let me do it for you" and start dialing. No baloney, because you can call the cops, she is being obnoxious has tried to take your leash, is following, is hostile. That's calling her bluff, in an aggressive (confident) manner.

Your retort has to be easy to remember and spit out, like "Get out of my face!" or "Get out of my way!" If it is pretty generic you can use it in many situations. If you can mold it to your personality, so long as it is definitely a don't-mess-with-me attitude.

Leave the dog out of it, even if he is in protection training -- that can go seriously wrong. She can say you threatened her with the dog, and even call animal control. Yes, yes, probably that will be discounted when they realize what a loon she is. But it is like talking about your gun when you conceal carry. Not a good idea. If you feel it is necessary to bring out the gun, bring it out. Don't talk about it. Same thing with the dog. If you feel threatened and want to use the protection you put on the dog, use it, don't threaten.

#60 ·
I'm not a very aggressive person. I just walk away or don't say much. I have to work on that when I'm out and about with Ronin. Now, saying that, I've gotten better at telling people no they can't pet him and no I don't want them to bring their dog around mine, things like that. People never like to listen, but they quickly back off when I start walking away or Ronin barks at them. I'll keep that in mind though, a good phrase is good to have. We had no problems tonight in the graveyard and she wasn't there so we had a nice peaceful walk that we did some work on heeling for a couple minutes and a few long sit stays with no problems :)

Reactions: selzer
#61 ·
I throw "Blue Steel" at them.

If that doesn't work, I just say, "Go away" in a very calm but assertive tone while looking very serious.

I suppose if it went past that, I would say something like, "I feel threatened. You are threatening me. I am fearful for my life." Really loud so there were (hopefully) several people that heard it.

If some random person grabs my leash (good luck getting that close before I hit you with the other end) while screaming at me, (s)he's going to be wearing a German Shepherd and I will be calling the cops.

#63 ·
I think it more surprised me, but I yanked myself away before she could have done anything. We've been working on Ronin not lunging at people so that's part of the reason I think he didn't lunge at her. He did turn towards her once and growl in warning, not that she paid attention to that. Stupid woman. The graveyard never really has people in it. It's also a HUGE graveyard since it's also partly a historical site from when the city was first founded, so it goes for miles. I doubt anyone would have heard me. Now, having said that, Ronin and I were really close to the gate so we were still near the entrance where people walk by on the street and possibly would have heard me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.