German Shepherds Forum banner

Being underfoot

3K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  vomlittlehaus 
#1 ·
Just a fun observation: I tried to re-position an area rug with both dogs following me.
As soon as I bent down to do this, they would come over, "what's ya doin?" and put both feet on the rug (4 total). Then I realized I never have been able to do this with dogs around. However my sight hounds from the past could care less and just stayed in their chairs.....

#11 ·
Pretty much if "Rocky" is indoors with me ... he is always within three feet of me. Still if he goes outside he will stay out there quietly until I remember to let him in?? Sometimes all night ...not a peep out of him ... that never happened with my Boxer!

#13 ·
I have the tiniest galley kitchen ever, so of course everyone needs a drink of water at the same time when you walk in the kitchen. Or they feel the loading of the dishwasher needs their supervision. I'm surprised I'm still alive with all this "help" I get.

#26 ·
As for being locked out. Twice. When Babs and Jenna were pups, ten years ago, I stopped at the sheriff's department to do some training. It was warm so I left Babsy in the car with the AC on. She is calm and good and no problem. I switched dogs and put Jenna in the Neon. She was being her normal self. I took Babsy back to the car and the bitch locked me out.

It gets better. I walked into the SD, and asked them to call my parents, since my dad had a key to my car. The deputy was nice and called. And called. And called. And called. He told me my folks must have something wrong with their phone because they keep losing the connection.

Well, that was Mom. It didn't strike me until my dad was there opening my car, but Mom's response to requests for money and sales pitches is to hang up. She kept hanging up on the guy, while they were trying to have dinner, and my dad became furious and went and took the phone ready to give the deputy an earfull. Thankfully, he did not.

The second time happened just a week ago or so. I was taking three landsharks (15 or 16 week old puppies) to a play date in Medina. I had managed to get the three of them in the car the day before to go to the vet. But this day would prove more interesting. I opened the moonroof -- no AC, and the rear window. I got Rhoda in there. She jumped out while I was scooping up Ruby, so I got her back in there and got the window up further. Then I went to corral Ramona. It took a few minutes. Finally I had 32 pounds of puppy in my arms and got to the car and it was locked. And running.

I had to squeeze my arm down and unlock the back door. First I put Ramona through the moon roof. Then I unlocked the back door and climbed into the back seat. I am not exactly small so this was quite interesting. I climbed over and through the back seat, unlocked the front door and stuck my head out near the ground, eating grass, while trying to right my feet, with a puppy on my back. Finally, I got straightened around and chased the puppies into the back seat, and as soon as we started moving, it was like magic. All the pups quietly enjoyed a ride for an hour and 15 minutes until we got to the horse barn to pick up the girls.

I was able to get out of the car, and run into the barn closely followed by some yayhoo who informed me that the puppies were "panting." I should have said, "Lady, so am I, it is midday, and we have been in a car with no AC since 10:30AM!" But I told the girls to gather their stuff and come out.

I put most of their stuff in the trunk and made them enter through the front seat to get in the back seat. EVERYONE had to potty, but it was just too dangerous to let them out. So we drove for another 20 minutes, and had just one casualty.

The play date was awesome for kids and dogs.

Rhoda and Ruby are now with their new owners. Ramona is enjoying the puppy pen (in/out) with her mother. I took Jenna (grandma) to the vet Saturday morning. Only I went through the house. I have all their collars hung up on the coat rack. It is like a tall deacon's bench, so I have the collars grouped by the age of the dogs, So I am fastening on her collar, when suddenly there is another young bitch next to us. The two of them are going back and fourth in my house, and finally I got Jenna out the front door and corraled Karma, and put her through the Extra Tall baby gate (there is also a step about 4-6 inches, so about 44 inches. And, opened the x-pen -- I think 42 or 48 inches tall, and got her in there and and clipped it shut. She was with Ramona. Shouldn't be an issue. Right?

Well, I got Jenna back from the vet and decided to take her through Milla's kennel and the Werewolf's to get her back in with Nikki and Nina. I left her in the car, and put Milla down in the hole (This is an extra gate which leads to other kennels). Then I got Jenna, opened the Werewolf's kennel and was swarmed by Karma, Ramona, And Quinnie.

Karma AND Ramona went over, the 42in x-pen, the first extra-tall baby gate to get into the house, and then the second extra tall baby gate to get into the other section of the room -- there one of them pooped. Ew. Then they went over a 48" x-pen to get in with Quinnie (The Werewolf). Brats!

Luckily, they did not molest my sister's birds or fish.

Sometimes I wonder, do I have a GSDP, or a mountain lion.

This is why I like bitches. They keep me on my toes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.