Funny experience with your first dog ever??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Funny experience with your first dog ever???

One of the things I love about this forum is how the newbies come in with a question and the wisdom, advice, suggestions just flow ...

So my question is kind of for the experienced dog owners out there, but newbies can certainly chime in ...

What's your funny story / experience about training your very first dog? The kind of story where you really didn't have a clue !!!

This one's mine:

My pup loved to chase balls (d'uh no kidding), and I would throw them for her and she'd sometimes bring it back, other times leave it, other times forget about it - you know how it goes. (She's about 4 months old at the time)

So I'm in the park one day and we're playing "catch" (her version) ... and I'll admit I'm getting frustrated b/c I'm doing more walking / running after the ball than she is.

A woman comes up to me and asks some basic questions. We were having a great conversation and she asked me if I was having fun chasing the balls all over the place.

Me: No, not really, I figured she'd get the hang of it by now
Lady: how old is she
Me: about 4 months
Lady: does she know "drop it"
Me: no
Lady: does she know "pick it up or take it"
Me: no
Lady: does she know "get it"
Me: um no
Lady: does she know "come"
Me: um no

So how do you expect her to know what to do when you haven't taught her anything?

UM... I don't know ... she was supposed to read my mind???
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Awww this topic allows me to reminisce about when my old guy was young. Heck, back when I was young!

Back in the days before Craigslist or oodle I bought Rocky out of the newspaper for $250. My (then) husband and I agreed that we had a very nice shady wonderful yard with a dogloo and Rocky would be an outside dog.

Rocky had other ideas.

He would NOT go in the dogloo. We put a bed in there, toys, treats, everything. He just kept wanting to go back into the people house. Adamantly refused the dog house. His first night home, we left him some food and water and bid him goodnight. He cried. And cried. Andcriedandcriedandcried. We said to each other, "just let him cry it out. He'll be fine. That's what puppies do." We woke up the next morning to find our beautiful shady back yard utterly destroyed. The next night he was on the bed with us. And has been sleeping on the bed for nearly 13 years.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

OMG ... that's hilarious!!!! I bet it took you guys longer to clean it up than it did for him to mess it up!
Old 11-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Well, I have two. My first childhood dog I ever had (that was my sole responsibility) was this little chihuahua/rat terrier inbred mix puppy that we bought for about $20 off the side of the road. I remember being SOOO excited because I had been working so hard with the ranch dogs to prove I was responsible enough for my own. I hopped in the car and was squealing about how we were going to be best of friends while my little 11 year old self just bounced in the seat. I went to cuddle the puppy right up next to my face and puppy latched on to my cheek and sent me to the hospital for stitches. It was a bit of a dive into dog body language.

The second one is Atlas, who was the first dog I ever owned independentally outside my parents. He was supposed to be an outside dog because one of my roommates was a bit scared of dogs. So I brought him home, took him for a long walk, played with him, gave him a puzzle toy and left him out with his dog house and a bucket of water. I woke up about two hours later. He had climbed a dense bush under the bathroom window, shoved the window up, and hopped through into the bathroom and the rest of the house where he ripped apart a chair, shredded everything on the counter, flung the garbage all over the house, knocked two computers off their desks, and finally clawed a good portion of the paint off my door. It was an intense first night.
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2014, 01:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

I don't have a good training one, but just a good amusing story!

Kenai hated water. Like absolutely hated getting wet. Only way you could get her to stay in water was if I was in it or crossing something over it.

We went to a nearby placed called Robie Creek that has a dock for boats to launch from. We would hang out on the dock, swimming and jumping in. When we first got there, I tried to show Kenai that she could lean down from the dock and drink water if she wanted to. Somehow her mind translated it differently.

After splashing the water and lifting some to her, Kenai decided to take a step off of the dock instead. And promptly nose dived into what was like 10 ft or so deep, freezing water. I'm sitting here thinking, no! She doesn't know how to swim! I am going to have to jump into this freezing water to save my dog.

But she got herself back to the surface, swam to the dock, placed both feet on the edge and I hauled her up in one smooth movement.

She stood there looking like a drowned rat for a few minutes and you could see her processing the whole thing. Last time she did that lol.
Colie CVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2014, 08:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

my earlier dogs were perfection...well maybe not but none of the stories are particularly funny. I will say that Patton learned as a tiny puppy, that when we go out we put on our shoes. So he learned pretty quickly that if he goes and gets a shoe it means he wants to go out. We also have bells on our backdoor which he only used for "I need to go out NOW!" until he learned the fun of leaf piles. Now he rings the bells when he gets a case of "outsideiss" or "the leaf pile was calling my name".
Old 11-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

I hadn't really put a lot of purposeful training in with my dogs until I got Sarah, my gsd rescue a year ago last August. I guess I did some with my other dogs, but definatelt not with a plan. When she was about 10 months, and doing great with roaming the house at night, I thought, "well, this is going so well, she must be ready to roam during the day." So, instead of breaking it down piece by piece, I went to the grocery store for an hour. I came home and she had eaten two huge chunks out of my couch!
sheplvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.