Fireworks, crowds, and Titan - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Fireworks, crowds, and Titan

We took Titan to the harbor this weekend for a night of hanging out, drinking and watching fireworks. We have never taken him there before. I'm not sure why because it is a very friendly area, a lot of places have seats outside for people with their dogs and dog water bowls throughout the area.

Anyways, Titan goes to a lot of places with us, but not like this.. like lowes, petsmart, certain restaurants, beach, etc. This place was tourist central and it was CROWDED. It's been a while since we've been in a crowd like that.. probably about 3 or so years since we lived in Germany. Anyways, it was time for us to try it again!

He did FABULOUS! Everyone was just flocking to him wanting to ask about him and pet him and children, oh the children were zeroing in on him from a distance. He did so well with them, letting them hug all over him and play with his ears and tail. I put him in a down stay while the smaller children were "playing" with him, and he just was great. I won't say he loved it.. he doesn't love much besides me, the SO and a ball.. but he seemed to enjoy the attention a bit. Licked a few noses and made the kids giggle a lot.

Then came time for the fireworks. He has never seen/heard any before. So this I was a little unsure about how he'd react. He does fine with crashing thunder at our house and when we lived behind the range, they would do all kinds of training so lots of gun shots and explosions.. I just figured he would be ok.. Well it definitely startled him. He jumped so high and back into my lap so quick! And then he got so intrigued by the lights in the sky, he LOVES lights, lol. We don't do laser pointers or anything but he gets so excited if he can see lights on the ground or if my watch reflects on the wall, lol. Anyways.. it was almost the same reaction. After the initial "holy crap, what was that?!?!!" reaction.. which did stay for a few seconds, then he checked with me, and I made him lay next to me. He was then calm and just watched.. he got lots of treats

Then on our way out we had to go through the huge crowd again.. I'm talking shoulder to shoulder at some points.. and he did fabulous.. I am more excited about this than one might think just because I haven't done it in a while and I have had a few training issues since then (some of you may have followed those threads). Though this has definitely built up most of my confidence in him again! WOO!

Just wanted to share I plan on doing this again soon. I love taking him places and I need to start doing it more like I did when we lived in Germany.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010

Last edited by wyoung2153; 09-08-2014 at 05:05 PM.
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Congratulations on your successful outing - both you and Titan! I'm glad your confidence in him has been restored and also glad to hear he'll get to experience it all again soon. Good boy, Titan!
Squeetie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thank you! I am so excited to take him out again!!

Whitney
and
Old 09-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm glad he did so well!! Congratulations! My older dog is scared of thunder, fireworks and gun shots, and it can be tough to deal with. It's great that Titan can ignore it all and be okay with being in a crowd!
McWeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2014, 06:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

don't you just love it when you can take your dog to even more places, not having to worry too much about your pooch going ballistic? Glad you had a great time.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It really is wonderful. So funny, about Titan... I have noticed that with crowds and tons of people, he is fine with everyone approaching and being around, but if it is just us in an area like a park or something and someone comes walking toward us or around us.. he seems more alert and watches them closely. I wonder if it's because if we're by ourselves he's deemed that area as his?? maybe? not to derail my own thread or anything, lol.

Whitney
and
Old 09-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

OMG, thats so wonderful! I only hope that someday my Fritz will be just like your Titan! We have done Petsmart, Petvalu, the local barber shop, and even Toronto. He just stared at the cars, loved the people and dogs.. Keep up the good work Titan!
Old 09-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It's so much fun when you take them places. People are so intrigued by them too I bet Fritiz would love something like that!

Whitney
and
Old 09-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
It really is wonderful. So funny, about Titan... I have noticed that with crowds and tons of people, he is fine with everyone approaching and being around, but if it is just us in an area like a park or something and someone comes walking toward us or around us.. he seems more alert and watches them closely. I wonder if it's because if we're by ourselves he's deemed that area as his?? maybe? not to derail my own thread or anything, lol.

My last dog was like this too. Very suspicious when we were alone, esp on a hike if someone popped out of the woods....but he was perfectly fine in a crowd. Perhaps it's too many people to be suspicious of?
lauren43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2014, 04:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren43 View Post
My last dog was like this too. Very suspicious when we were alone, esp on a hike if someone popped out of the woods....but he was perfectly fine in a crowd. Perhaps it's too many people to be suspicious of?

All of my GSD were like this. Funny so many others are as well.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.