I need to rant!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I need to rant!!

Time for a famous Candice rant....

So Hailey (my daughter) and I decide to take Bob Barker for a swim in this spot that we have recently found on a quiet basically dead end road. We have gone several times and had no issues. It's hard to find a spot where Bob doesn't get distracted by other dogs and decide he would rather socialize.
So he his swimming away having a merry ol' time when a man comes jogging down the road. Bob being goofy Bob runs up to say "Hey" ..not barking, not charging, just jaunting up to this new friend he has found....

Well... You would think it was Cujo charging this man with foam frothing at the mouth snarling away by the man screamed bloody murder!!
"You know its a bylaw that dogs need to be on a leash!!" As he keeps running while I apologize and call Bob (who quickly comes back to my side when this man is making it very obvious that he wants Bob no where near him).
"Especially dogs like THAT" , as he points to Bob with disgust.
So... Smart ass me comes out... "Oh you mean puppies that like to say hello?".
He scoffs and continues on his jog.

I understand that people don't like dogs, I understand that people are AFRAID of dogs... But to be so dramatic about it...and just rude... Makes me cringe.

So at this point my blood is boiling, I throw the stick a couple more times, Hailey gets Bob on his lead and we make our way to the car. As I am fixing the sheet on the back seat Bob sits and waits patiently outside of the car (on leash)... The man runs by again and in a sarcastic tone yells "thank you" ... Uggghhhh
Go feed your goldfish PSEUDO SWEARING.

I wish there was a dog friendly place I got take Bob swimming or for a hike that is not overpopulated ... Or a dog park.
I wish there were no "non dog people".

Rant over ... Thank you
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by JeanKBBMMMAAN; 08-29-2014 at 11:34 AM. Reason: PSEUDO SWEARING
bob_barker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I guess the price was wrong......

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No offense...but I'm a dog person, and I'd be pissed if your dog ran up to me. You probably don't realize what your dog looks like to someone that isn't used to having a GSD run at them...it's not a friendly sight.

I do what you do (off lead in on lead area)...but I make sure my dog doesn't say hello to ANYONE who isn't saying hello first. He's not allowed to come up to anyone that isn't outwardly walking towards him.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
You probably don't realize what your dog looks like to someone that isn't used to having a GSD run at them...it's not a friendly sight.
I learned this a while ago.....we ( owners ) know what it looks like to us....but it looks completely different and intimidating to most everyone else. You make a very good point.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

yes, these dogs can scare the you-know-what outa people and, if they're off leash, they must be totally under voice control. bomb-proof. or they can't be off leash. imho.
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Which my dog is or else I wouldn't be letting him off leash.
Like I said he wasn't making any approach other than "jaunting" up to him .... If that. And again the second I called him to me he was there.

I guess I'm just clueless.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I mean...don't get all upset about it...but if you're going to rant about it, you should understand that you were wrong...not the jogger.

It doesn't matter how friendly YOU know your dog is...the other person doesn't. This is the same idea as a dog running towards you while you have a DA dog and the other owner yelling to you how friendly their dog is...it doesn't matter. I shouldn't have to interact with your dog if I don't want to.

This guy didn't sound like he was afraid of dogs...but that's another huge point. There are people that are CRAZY afraid of dogs. And its not up to you to judge their irrational fear...it's up to you to respect it and not put them through any extra emotional stuff because you felt like letting your dog off-leash.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

I love dogs but I don't want a strange dog running up to me either, You know that your dog is friendly but the people that he runs up to don't have a clue what he's going to do, so I think he had every right to be mad, I'm a runner and I can't tell you how mad I get when people let their dogs charge up to me saying he's friendly(it's a dog you can't be 100% sure what their gonna do)
Apoolutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

LOL too funny
canyadoit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm not getting upset about it.

Like I said I understand that people have fears, I understand that people have dislikes. I really do.
My main point in this whole rant was that I wish there were more options (in my area) that I could take my dogs that they can be off leash and not have to worry about situations like this. Other than taking them to a dog park.

I guess a lot of the time I forget that to everyone else Bob doesn't look like goofy Bob Barker he looks like the big bad wolf.

There are also ways of handling a situation rather than yelling at a person like this man did.
I suppose I'm just being over sensitive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.