German Shepherds Forum banner

I need to rant!!

5K views 41 replies 24 participants last post by  ksotto333 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Time for a famous Candice rant....

So Hailey (my daughter) and I decide to take Bob Barker for a swim in this spot that we have recently found on a quiet basically dead end road. We have gone several times and had no issues. It's hard to find a spot where Bob doesn't get distracted by other dogs and decide he would rather socialize.
So he his swimming away having a merry ol' time when a man comes jogging down the road. Bob being goofy Bob runs up to say "Hey" ..not barking, not charging, just jaunting up to this new friend he has found....

Well... You would think it was Cujo charging this man with foam frothing at the mouth snarling away by the man screamed bloody murder!!
"You know its a bylaw that dogs need to be on a leash!!" As he keeps running while I apologize and call Bob (who quickly comes back to my side when this man is making it very obvious that he wants Bob no where near him).
"Especially dogs like THAT" , as he points to Bob with disgust.
So... Smart ass me comes out... "Oh you mean puppies that like to say hello?".
He scoffs and continues on his jog.

I understand that people don't like dogs, I understand that people are AFRAID of dogs... But to be so dramatic about it...and just rude... Makes me cringe.

So at this point my blood is boiling, I throw the stick a couple more times, Hailey gets Bob on his lead and we make our way to the car. As I am fixing the sheet on the back seat Bob sits and waits patiently outside of the car (on leash)... The man runs by again and in a sarcastic tone yells "thank you" ... Uggghhhh
Go feed your goldfish PSEUDO SWEARING.

I wish there was a dog friendly place I got take Bob swimming or for a hike that is not overpopulated ... Or a dog park.
I wish there were no "non dog people".

Rant over ... Thank you :)
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#35 ·
Middleofnowhere, I know what you mean (being ancient myself, lol) but probably the dogs back then were so used to having the freedom of being off leash that it wasn't such a big deal to them either. So people were used to them being around, and the dogs were used to being loose. The roamers in my current neighborhood, for example, don't pay attention to people - they just do what they like, and go where they want to go. I've never been bothered intentionally by the dogs that are allowed to roam here, except for having to clean up after them.

#37 ·
People now days, over react with any dog that is not a small toy. Even though, 8-out of 10 times those are the ones who are unruly and or aggressive/territorial.
I go to parks, and I am a licensed ACI (animal cruelty investigator) and work/play with my GSD. Now, I use a e-collar and my dog is proofed with commands. Even if another dog would run up to him I will down him and he will not move. I can't tell you how many nasty comments I get, from people asking me to leave the area. As it is in the dog park area and their dogs are inside, while I am out side away from the fence a good 25 -50 yards. Their dogs won't stop barking at mine, as mine just ignores. People walk buy, pick up,their dogs, throw out nasty comments, get together inside the dog park, and all point, thill they get brave and throw out they will call the police. It's very hard to ignore. Sometimes, I will even throw out that I work for the state, and the "police" will refer to me when it comes to this situation. Leash laws, state, dog at large/ control. If your dog obeys you are fine. You are allowed to train and hike though you do accept responsibility if something happens.
That leads me to the people that then will purposely bring their leashes dog up to me and mine with out alerting just to "see" what or if my dog will react.

#41 ·
1. I was not expecting the man to come jogging down this road.
And the man probably wasn't expecting to be meeting up with an off lead GSD running toward him!

2. The man was jogging... Not walking not crawling... A slow run, so by the time I saw him he had already past this "opening" between the two patches of trees.
Lots of people run and jog these days. All the more reason to be aware of your surroundings when your pup is off lead in an area where people aren't expecting to meet a dog, large or small, running loose.

3. The space between Bob and this man was about 5 feet... Bob did not jump, did not make any advances other that a few jaunting steps forward.
I've had GSDs for over 40 years, I adore the breed, BUT if a strange one was running towards me, I'd be nervous too if it got as close as you say Bob did (5 feet).

4. I am not one to take negativity lightly so when someone reacts this way to me, whether it be about my dogs, my cats, my kids ... I will respond in defence of myself.
The man did NOT say or do anything that should have caused you to feel defensive ... he was obviously uncomfortable that you allowed your pup to run up towards him in an area where he wasn't expecting to see a dog off lead.

5. ""You know its a bylaw that dogs need to be on a leash!!" "
Nothing wrong with this ... I assume it was a statement of fact.

6. ""Especially dogs like THAT""
Not everyone likes large breeds, some people don't like GSDs, some people are afraid of big dogs, some people are afraid of GSDs. Again, he didn't say or do anything that should have made you feel defensive.

7. "My main issue was how this man handled it even AFTER I apologized.. and also that there are not more options for me to take my dogs places that arnt over populated. "
I don't see where the man did or said anything wrong before or after your apology.

It's not his fault that there are no more options for places you can take your dog. FWIW I hope you can find a great place where you and Bob can have a fantastic time and not have to worry about people!!!

9. "I posted my rant in the heat of the moment. I get over sensitive I guess you could say when it comes to the dogs. "
Perfectly understandable ... but IMHO you should stop making excuses for what happened.

#42 ·
I'm responsible for having large dogs, my decision, full responsibility. I would not have gotten German Shepherds if I didn't have the resources to exercise them. I don't see how the government or anyone else owes dog owners a place to allow their dogs to run. Why rant after the fact, investigate before or do something about it. I'm sure the jogger kept stewing about the 'what if' and that's why he was so angry even after apology.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.