I need to rant!! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2014, 06:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Where do you live?
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2014, 06:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Kingston Ontario Canada

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
bob_barker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 06:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

maybe wolfe Island?
holland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 06:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

I was actually thinking of Wolfe island today!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
bob_barker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
I mean...don't get all upset about it...but if you're going to rant about it, you should understand that you were wrong...not the jogger.

It doesn't matter how friendly YOU know your dog is...the other person doesn't. This is the same idea as a dog running towards you while you have a DA dog and the other owner yelling to you how friendly their dog is...it doesn't matter. I shouldn't have to interact with your dog if I don't want to.

This guy didn't sound like he was afraid of dogs...but that's another huge point. There are people that are CRAZY afraid of dogs. And its not up to you to judge their irrational fear...it's up to you to respect it and not put them through any extra emotional stuff because you felt like letting your dog off-leash.
I agree.

It's against the rules and a calculated risk to let your dog be off leash in an on leash area. We do it at times but it's dropped leash, not off leash, we practically hover, and we pick a time we KNOW the place we go is likely to be empty. As soon as anyone enters the area, we call her and pick up the leash. So to be clear, I'm not judging you for doing it, we all take calculated risks.

But given the decision to take a calculated risk with the rules, it's pretty entitled thinking to then get mad at someone who has a certain expectation of the rules being followed and who relies on that expectation. It's a reasonable one. I wouldn't like the guy's reaction either, but in the end, he'd be right and I'd be wrong, because it's not an off leash dog park and my dog wasn't attached to me via leash.

It's true that it isn't really my problem if someone gets upset at my dog's presence in a place where she's allowed, assuming she's on leash and reasonably well behaved (she's a puppy so I don't expect perfection, but I do remove her if she can't hold it together). HOWEVER, I don't get to make my dog someone else's problem in a place where she's not allowed, or only allowed given certain constraints that I'm not following.

You seemed to want to make Bob this guy's problem, and that's just not okay.
WateryTart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 07:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would be apprehensive seeing a GSD trotting towards me showing no reaction at all. Especially in an on-leash area. If I didn't see an owner coming up from the rear in short order I'd really be worried if I didn't know GSD's.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 08:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

Agree that having a stranger GSD within eyesight running loose would be terrifying, but the way he confronted the situation, IMO, was rude. There are better ways that dropping snide remarks to confront situations where you are uncomfortable.

Similar rant (if I may):
A man at Home Depot three weekends ago walked passed hubs and I walking our 3.5 month cute-as-a-button GSD puppy through the store and said under his breath "(bad word that starts with a eff)-ing dog" so that only I could hear. I told hubs and he says to the man who is still within ear shot, "Do you have a problem, sir?" and the man responds (in a nasty tone of voice that gets nastier every time I think of it), "Dogs shouldn't be allowed in public places. I have allergies." Hubs says "You don't make the rules and I'd appreciate it if you didn't swear in front of my wife." Man storms off. Different situation in that Bru was on a leash and allowed to be where we were, but another example of a non-dog person being rude. It's uncalled for and frustrating when they react like immature children.

I feel you bob_barker. I wish non-dog people weren't jerks about being non-dog people, and I wish there were more places only pro-dog people and their dogs were allowed
Bruin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Germany comes to mind.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 09:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Well you apologized ... I dont know why the man still keeps going.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:58 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin View Post
Agree that having a stranger GSD within eyesight running loose would be terrifying, but the way he confronted the situation, IMO, was rude. There are better ways that dropping snide remarks to confront situations where you are uncomfortable.

Similar rant (if I may):
A man at Home Depot three weekends ago walked passed hubs and I walking our 3.5 month cute-as-a-button GSD puppy through the store and said under his breath "(bad word that starts with a eff)-ing dog" so that only I could hear. I told hubs and he says to the man who is still within ear shot, "Do you have a problem, sir?" and the man responds (in a nasty tone of voice that gets nastier every time I think of it), "Dogs shouldn't be allowed in public places. I have allergies." Hubs says "You don't make the rules and I'd appreciate it if you didn't swear in front of my wife." Man storms off. Different situation in that Bru was on a leash and allowed to be where we were, but another example of a non-dog person being rude. It's uncalled for and frustrating when they react like immature children.

I feel you bob_barker. I wish non-dog people weren't jerks about being non-dog people, and I wish there were more places only pro-dog people and their dogs were allowed
Dude. That guy was a jerk! If dogs are allowed in Home Depot, he should know that he might run into a dog there and if it bugs him that much he doesn't have to go to Home Depot!
WateryTart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.