The Life of Drogo - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2014, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default The Life of Drogo

This thread is dedicated to the life of Drogo. Here I would like to discuss his development, training, behavior, and socialization. I am wondering if this is allowed because it seems a little silly to post new threads for every little thing that he does?? If not, then Admins please close it.

OK, to start things off Drogo is now 9 weeks old today. I've been trying to make his first couple of days easy on him and have not done any serious training. What I have been teaching him so far is to go potty outside. When I think he needs to go I take him outside to the lawn, walk a bit, while saying "hurry up" and when he does his business I praise him. If he does have accidents I just pick him up and take him outside. No scolding. Potty training is going well so far.

When I don't have time to watch him I take him to his crate and he will usually cry for a bit but after a while he will settled down and either go to sleep or chew one of his toys. He dislikes going to his crate and I am thinking I might give him treats to encourage him to like it while saying "go to your crate" or "crate".

We are also working on recall and he appears to be a little stubborn in this area compared to my late dog. Sometimes he will come, but more often than not he is easily distracted. When he doesn't come I usually go and get him or (if his lead is on) I tug him towards me, or I run in the opposite direction and this usually encourages him to come. I also do this exercise where I hide behind a bush or something when he's not looking and when I can hear him whining because he's alone I jump out and call him and he comes. When he comes I give him lavish praise. My recall is "here" or "here Drogo, here".

I have also taught him to sit but once again, he seems easily distracted, but when I have his attention it usually works. I usually tell him to sit and wait before he gets fed and this works well most of the time. I am going to tell him to sit at random times in the day to strengthen the command. I usually gently push his back end to the ground while saying "Sitz". He is also taught to "wait" before being let in and out, and to eat his food. At first he was pretty stubborn about this but he is starting to get the hang of it, but waiting for food he is still pretty stubborn. If he does not comply to wait I usually push him back in position (such as back outside if he comes in uninvited, and vice versa, and away from his food bowl when he shoves his head in uninvited).

Hmm what else? In regards to socialization he appears to be unsure of new things. When going up stairs he does tread very clumsily, but was not afraid to travel up them. New surfaces he does not mind. Strange animals however he is pretty uncertain and his reaction varies. I would say overall fearful. He prefers to stay away from the chooks and geese and doesn't want to go near the horses at the moment. To get him used to them I take him near (probably 5 or more metres away) to them and we sit down and observe, or sometimes I am just relaxed and reading or something. He utters low barks at the horses when the horse approach or do something weird or sudden. At one point when the geese were stalking the lamb which was very close to me and Drogo, Drogo got up and barked at them, and even charged at them. I stopped them and got in-between them. Also the lamb, Homer, was behind a bush and when Homer burst through the bush Drogo got up and barked and approached the lamb, growling, I reprimanded him and Drogo settled and then it was like Drogo and Homer were best friends again. I'm not sure what to make of this.

Other house animals . . . He wants to eat the cat of course. It will take some time before they are used to each other. They both seem curious of each other but when Drogo gets pushy the cat either runs off or hisses. Dogs - at the moment he is interacting with my mum's dogs a very mild Staffy and a bossy Chihuahua. Drogo seems obsessed to get in their faces and to play with them. The Chihuahua corrects him when he is being too pushy but the Staffy is too nice and just tries to ignore it, but if he is really pushy she will give a little growl.

Well that's all I can think of so far. Any suggestions or explanations with anything? Am I doing things right? Drogo is certainly energetic and VERY mouthy, he needs to bite everything he sees but he's learning what's allowed to be bitten and chewed and what's not. He's pretty different from my last dog so I think I might need to change some things when it comes to raising him.
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2014, 01:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

When it comes to all the critters on the farm I basically just had a long line on Luther for the first month or so. It was attached to me and he just came with me everywhere.......chooks, horses, poddies, cats, sheep.....you name it he was with me. When we moved sheep I would walk behind with him attached to me on the long line.
I liked doing this cause he had his freedom to explore away from me but I had control of him at the same time so I could correct behaviors I didn't want like attacking the chooks and chasing the horses cause he was very gung Ho and was into everything.
I just used baling twine as a long line (very technical) and the better he got around the pets the more I gave him till he came off it for good.
I have done this with all my pups on the farm including my kelpie and it worked well. He is critter proof now and doesn't chase anything which is great.....it will also help with your recall training as he won't be able to blow you off
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 01:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I always used treats for recall. I didn't just recall when outside either. About 50 times a day I would call mine out of the blue, they came, gave them a treat, and sent them to play. Repeat at different times and different places. They tend to come when good things happen. I never call them to me to clean ears or cut nails, I go to them. I also taught them front and an emergency word along with come.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound

Last edited by llombardo; 08-03-2014 at 01:46 AM.
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 07:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I always used treats for recall. I didn't just recall when outside either. About 50 times a day I would call mine out of the blue, they came, gave them a treat, and sent them to play. Repeat at different times and different places. They tend to come when good things happen. I never call them to me to clean ears or cut nails, I go to them. I also taught them front and an emergency word along with come.
Same ^ and it worked great for me
Old 08-04-2014, 06:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I have considered this but at the moment he doesn't seem to be particularly motivated with the current treats we have. Not too motivated with toys or pats either. I think I need more time to see what makes him click and will see if I can find some irresistible treats. But yeah, he's pretty different from my last dog in regards to training. Astro was motivated solely by pats/attention alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparra View Post
When it comes to all the critters on the farm I basically just had a long line on Luther for the first month or so. It was attached to me and he just came with me everywhere.......chooks, horses, poddies, cats, sheep.....you name it he was with me. When we moved sheep I would walk behind with him attached to me on the long line.
I liked doing this cause he had his freedom to explore away from me but I had control of him at the same time so I could correct behaviors I didn't want like attacking the chooks and chasing the horses cause he was very gung Ho and was into everything.
I just used baling twine as a long line (very technical) and the better he got around the pets the more I gave him till he came off it for good.
I have done this with all my pups on the farm including my kelpie and it worked well. He is critter proof now and doesn't chase anything which is great.....it will also help with your recall training as he won't be able to blow you off
Thanks Sparra, I will give this a go although at the moment I don't have to worry about Drogo chasing the chooks and horses, he prefers to stay away from them. Just today however Drogo thought Homer's tail was a tug toy! Oh well soon Homer won't have to worry about his tail for long . . .
Old 08-04-2014, 06:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Haha......Yes I know what you mean. We moved some ewes and lambs today ........they had rings put on their tails couple weeks ago......All the jigging up the road was making them fall off.....lamb tails everywhere......
Old 08-05-2014, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparra View Post
Haha......Yes I know what you mean. We moved some ewes and lambs today ........they had rings put on their tails couple weeks ago......All the jigging up the road was making them fall off.....lamb tails everywhere......
Yes! Tails everywhere! I sometimes see their manly parts as well!

Oh yes I am feeling pretty triumphant! Am now motivating Drogo with dried kangaroo strips and pats and he's starting to get it. He really likes to work for beef heart but I am not walking around with that in my pockets!

I did want to let him sleep with me and he wants to as well but I decided against it. Not until he is more toilet trained for now so he sleeps in his crate in my bedroom. Sometimes when I get up early to take him to the toilet he's allowed to sleep with me until it's time to fully get up, but more often than not he sleeps in his crate.

So far he seems to be a beauty at travelling. Just curls up on his seat and goes straight to sleep. No vomiting as of yet. When Drogo wakes up from his sleep he will quietly chew his toys.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Ok, I give up what is a chook and a poddy? I know I can google, but thought I would ask....
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 12:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Haha.....that's so funny.....A chook is a chicken......we only call the babies chickens and the adults are chooks......A poddy is an orphaned lamb or calf raised on a bottle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.