Dog protection question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2014, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Dog protection question

I heard a story of a person's Pomeranian get mauled and killed by a larger dog. However, the larger dog was within its fenced yard. The owner of the large dog ended up having to pay for damages and his dog put down.

My question is how does this make sense? I'm sure the large dog was raised to guard its property. This raises another question. If dogs by law are only considered as property, would owning one, for protection, fall into a right to bear arms?
GSDkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2014, 12:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Interesting question...

My dog killed the neighbor's dog several years ago... The shihtzu kept digging under the fence and coming into our yard. I would see it in my back yard through the window and also find it's small poop on our deck. I told the neighbor several times, and we would block the holes on our side. One early morning, we let our dogs out and the neighbor dog was in our back yard. My malinois must have grabbed it and shook... it had only one bite mark and a punctured lung. We offered to pay the vet bill and apologized... The neighbor said it was their fault for not keeping their dog contained in their own yard, wouldn't take our money, and we didn't hear anything more about it. I would have been devastated if we had to put our dog down! Maybe it would have been different if the dog was mauled...
Sunshine-Belgian Malinois 2/2003-3/2014
Charles-GSD mix 1988-2002
Charliehound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2014, 12:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

A rescue person in my area told me that if your dog kills another dog in your own yard, your dog is libel--even if the killed dog went on his own through fencing into your yard. Thus, your dog is in danger of PTS. I live in the Seattle area.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

I don't know if the neighbor reported our incident... I didn't even ask! But my dog has now passed, so no worries here. I wonder if this varies from state to state?
Old 07-29-2014, 02:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

And so another advantage to a well trained dog! My dogs don't attack non threats. My BullMastiff/APBT/Lab mix and Boxer have had the neighbours baldly trained ill mannered dogs get in there face on a couple occasions!

My Bullies just stoop there grown and stared at the little crap boxes cause they knew daddy would deal with the "issue!" I was home and heard the noise!

Had the little dog actually tried to bite that would have been different but it was a none threat.

Out here it's pretty much the loose dogs hard luck if he winds up where he's not suppose to be!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2014, 04:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

So I looked it up... in my county, a dog is deemed as potentially dangerous, when involving another animal as follows...

Any dog which, when unprovoked, on two separate occasions within the prior 36-month
period, has killed, seriously bitten, inflicted injury, or otherwise caused injury attacking a domestic animal off the property of the owner or keeper of the dog.

So I guess if it occurs on your property it's fair game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.