Unsolicited Comments From My Neighbor (A Rant) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2014, 02:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Unsolicited Comments From My Neighbor (A Rant)

It happened a few hours ago and I'm still so angry. I was just coming in from a walk with Stella. At the same time, my neighbor's daughter was leaving. She was obviously nervous about Stella. Here's how it went:

Neighbor's Daughter: "I'm just gonna stay right here till y'all get inside."

Me: "OK. But you don't have anything to worry about. She's as friendly as can be."

Neighbor: "That's the same thing my son said. He had a dog just like yours and it turned on and tore up my grandson. That's what those kinds of dogs do."

Me (as congenial as possible): "Well it's all in how you raise them."

Neighbor: "My son treated his dog good, too."

At that point, I just walked inside without another word. It might've gotten really ugly if I took her bait.

As a quick back story, this isn't the first time she's made snide comments about our dogs... among them that she's "not a dog person."

Ugh!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2014, 03:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I know that sort of thing can be frustrating. I get it all the time around the town anytime I take my pup anywhere. The "he's going to turn on you" and "no matter how nice he acts, he's just waiting to bite". It makes me want to scream sometimes. But the best thing you can do is focus on your dog. Keep working her so you can rub her excellent behavior in their face anytime they want to say something!

I'm not above calling my dog to a snappy heel when a stranger's made a snide comment, asking them to leave, and telling Kaiju to wave goodbye to them. The look on their face when he actually waves is pretty priceless.
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 04:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Don't let what others say get to you. You know your dog better than anyone else.

I'm going to add my opinion on what they said - Dogs are not unpredictable monsters that will attack randomly and they are not "fur babies"/humans. They do not attack out of nowhere and with no warning signs. When attacks happen it's human error that led to it. They didn't see the signs or they were in denial that there were any. They completely neglected the dogs needs or didn't take action to improve the crumbling relationship. Failed to prevent the dog from doing harm to others and vice versa. Sometimes just generally in over their heads. Raising a good dog citizen takes more than just giving affection, food, and a comfortable home to live in.

Last edited by KaiserandStella; 06-30-2014 at 04:47 AM.
KaiserandStella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 05:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

I think you handled it well.... ^_^ neighbors can be like that if they are not dog lovers or even an animal person...
lawmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 07:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would have just shrugged and said "ok." If she wants to inconvenience herself I don't see a problem with it, snide remarks only work if you're listening to them. Otherwise they're just hot air being wasted ;)

You have absolutely nothing to prove to them outside of the fact that your dog doesn't do anything to bother them

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 07:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

The above, and respect their discomfort with your dog. If my neighbor became a clown all of a sudden, and they didn't respect that I was highly agitated by them in their get up I would get pushed into a fight flight flee mentality with the anxiety.

And it's not how they are raised necessarily and people who are wary are not going to buy that. It’s Not How They’re Raised, It’s How Dogs are Managed That Matters Most | notes from a dog walker
Old 06-30-2014, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't believe it's always how you raise them, although it plays a big role.

I agree with Jean, respect their discomfort with your dog, and not everyone is a dog person, and that's perfectly fine.

Maybe one day your dog will make your neighbor see that GSD's are wonderful dogs, but they have obviously had a very bad experience.

Sorry they said that, don't let it get to you.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 09:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
Maybe one day your dog will make your neighbor see that GSD's are wonderful dogs, but they have obviously had a very bad experience.
That's exactly what I was going to say!

This is what happened to me, when I was getting to be friends with one of my neighbors: I was invited over and I asked if I could bring my pup along. I didn't know this woman had had a bad experience with GSDs in the past - all I knew was that I'd have to decline the offer if I couldn't, because it was after I'd been working that day (he was crated for hours and I wasn't going to add to that, just so I could socialize) and she graciously said yes. Fast forward to today, we're close friends, and she loves my GSD.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

This is one thing that having a white GSD has never been said to me, I guess people are so shocked by his color that they don't even think about the fact that he is a GSD LOL.
blueangele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangele View Post
This is one thing that having a white GSD has never been said to me, I guess people are so shocked by his color that they don't even think about the fact that he is a GSD LOL.

The average person probably doesn't know white GSD are a thing.

Sent from Petguide.com Free Appc
Thewretched is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.