German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Stories (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/)
-   -   Unsolicited Comments From My Neighbor (A Rant) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/465474-unsolicited-comments-my-neighbor-rant.html)

MissLilyBean 06-30-2014 02:12 AM

Unsolicited Comments From My Neighbor (A Rant)

It happened a few hours ago and I'm still so angry. I was just coming in from a walk with Stella. At the same time, my neighbor's daughter was leaving. She was obviously nervous about Stella. Here's how it went:

Neighbor's Daughter: "I'm just gonna stay right here till y'all get inside."

Me: "OK. But you don't have anything to worry about. She's as friendly as can be."

Neighbor: "That's the same thing my son said. He had a dog just like yours and it turned on and tore up my grandson. That's what those kinds of dogs do."

Me (as congenial as possible): "Well it's all in how you raise them."

Neighbor: "My son treated his dog good, too."

At that point, I just walked inside without another word. It might've gotten really ugly if I took her bait.

As a quick back story, this isn't the first time she's made snide comments about our dogs... among them that she's "not a dog person."

Ugh!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Pax8 06-30-2014 03:16 AM

I know that sort of thing can be frustrating. I get it all the time around the town anytime I take my pup anywhere. The "he's going to turn on you" and "no matter how nice he acts, he's just waiting to bite". It makes me want to scream sometimes. But the best thing you can do is focus on your dog. Keep working her so you can rub her excellent behavior in their face anytime they want to say something! :)

I'm not above calling my dog to a snappy heel when a stranger's made a snide comment, asking them to leave, and telling Kaiju to wave goodbye to them. The look on their face when he actually waves is pretty priceless. :D

KaiserandStella 06-30-2014 04:44 AM

Don't let what others say get to you. You know your dog better than anyone else.

I'm going to add my opinion on what they said - Dogs are not unpredictable monsters that will attack randomly and they are not "fur babies"/humans. They do not attack out of nowhere and with no warning signs. When attacks happen it's human error that led to it. They didn't see the signs or they were in denial that there were any. They completely neglected the dogs needs or didn't take action to improve the crumbling relationship. Failed to prevent the dog from doing harm to others and vice versa. Sometimes just generally in over their heads. Raising a good dog citizen takes more than just giving affection, food, and a comfortable home to live in.

lawmarshall 06-30-2014 05:13 AM

I think you handled it well.... ^_^ neighbors can be like that if they are not dog lovers or even an animal person...

Shade 06-30-2014 07:16 AM

I would have just shrugged and said "ok." If she wants to inconvenience herself I don't see a problem with it, snide remarks only work if you're listening to them. Otherwise they're just hot air being wasted ;)

You have absolutely nothing to prove to them outside of the fact that your dog doesn't do anything to bother them

JeanKBBMMMAAN 06-30-2014 07:38 AM

The above, and respect their discomfort with your dog. If my neighbor became a clown all of a sudden, and they didn't respect that I was highly agitated by them in their get up I would get pushed into a fight flight flee mentality with the anxiety.

And it's not how they are raised necessarily and people who are wary are not going to buy that. It’s Not How They’re Raised, It’s How Dogs are Managed That Matters Most | notes from a dog walker

blackshep 06-30-2014 08:58 AM

I don't believe it's always how you raise them, although it plays a big role.

I agree with Jean, respect their discomfort with your dog, and not everyone is a dog person, and that's perfectly fine.

Maybe one day your dog will make your neighbor see that GSD's are wonderful dogs, but they have obviously had a very bad experience.

Sorry they said that, don't let it get to you.

Blanketback 06-30-2014 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackshep (Post 5710394)
Maybe one day your dog will make your neighbor see that GSD's are wonderful dogs, but they have obviously had a very bad experience.

That's exactly what I was going to say! :)

This is what happened to me, when I was getting to be friends with one of my neighbors: I was invited over and I asked if I could bring my pup along. I didn't know this woman had had a bad experience with GSDs in the past - all I knew was that I'd have to decline the offer if I couldn't, because it was after I'd been working that day (he was crated for hours and I wasn't going to add to that, just so I could socialize) and she graciously said yes. Fast forward to today, we're close friends, and she loves my GSD.

blueangele 06-30-2014 10:23 AM

This is one thing that having a white GSD has never been said to me, I guess people are so shocked by his color that they don't even think about the fact that he is a GSD LOL.

Thewretched 06-30-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueangele (Post 5710665)
This is one thing that having a white GSD has never been said to me, I guess people are so shocked by his color that they don't even think about the fact that he is a GSD LOL.

The average person probably doesn't know white GSD are a thing.

Sent from Petguide.com Free Appc