German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Stories (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/)
-   -   Yee yah! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/464361-yee-yah.html)

Ellimaybel 06-26-2014 05:00 AM

Yee yah!

I wish I could have gotten video but it was too dark out. When I take Gunther out in the dark I have to be able to get him quickly since I can't always see what he's eating. So I carried the lead out with me. First I spent 3 minutes trying to lasso the dog in the dark of the bushes where he would run at me and stick his head in the circle and then jump out of it and take off. Then once I succeeded in lassoing the dog he grabbed the lead in his mouth and ran in circles around me. I didn't want to choke him and I was busy laughing my ass off so it went on for a while until I was able to wrestle him in close enough to grab his collar. I swear if any neighbors were awake there would be youtube videos out by now.

Ah he amuses me :D

Mary Beth 06-26-2014 10:18 PM

:laugh: I don't know what is more funny - you trying to lasso him or Gunter grabbing the leash.

Castlemaid 06-26-2014 10:42 PM

I see some recall training for Gunther in his future . . .

Instead of a lasso, go out there with treats. Call him for treats, release him, Call him for treats, release him, etc - This way he won't always associate coming to you as the end of a fun time.

Ellimaybel 06-27-2014 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castlemaid (Post 5696385)
I see some recall training for Gunther in his future . . .

Instead of a lasso, go out there with treats. Call him for treats, release him, Call him for treats, release him, etc - This way he won't always associate coming to you as the end of a fun time.

Very true :) he had a solid recall before, but he's not allowed to run due to a leg injury and he's being defiant because he so desperately wants to run and play. I usually take a toy with me, but last night the "lasso" was the closest thing I could find. Sometimes it takes a stick, a toy, the laser pointer, sometimes the lasso. He won't go to the bathroom on the leash so I have to let him out to potty and sometimes he disagrees lol

my boy diesel 06-27-2014 04:02 AM

a good strong flexi lead might be in order
you call him and if he fails to come you reell him back in
and the flexi lead would allow him to wander off to do his business

Zeeva 06-27-2014 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellimaybel (Post 5697593)
Very true :) he had a solid recall before, but he's not allowed to run due to a leg injury and he's being defiant because he so desperately wants to run and play. I usually take a toy with me, but last night the "lasso" was the closest thing I could find. Sometimes it takes a stick, a toy, the laser pointer, sometimes the lasso. He won't go to the bathroom on the leash so I have to let him out to potty and sometimes he disagrees lol

Please no laser pointers...there are plenty of articles on google stating the potential mental issues dogs can get through the use of those.

I'd suggest high-value treats if he is food motivated or a high-value toy.

Also, chasing and lassoing a dog in his eyes might be 'fun' so you're simply reenforcing a bad behavior.

You could also put him on a long lead and practice recall. If he doesn't listen, real him in when you want to go inside.

Ellimaybel 06-27-2014 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my boy diesel (Post 5697601)
a good strong flexi lead might be in order
you call him and if he fails to come you reell him back in
and the flexi lead would allow him to wander off to do his business

I like that idea... I've been struggling with middle of the night bathroom trips for a month now and just now got this? lol Thank you!

Ellimaybel 06-27-2014 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeeva (Post 5697609)
Please no laser pointers...there are plenty of articles on google stating the potential mental issues dogs can get through the use of those.

I'd suggest high-value treats if he is food motivated or a high-value toy.

Also, chasing and lassoing a dog in his eyes might be 'fun' so you're simply reenforcing a bad behavior.

You could also put him on a long lead and practice recall. If he doesn't listen, real him in when you want to go inside.

He doesn't chase the laser pointer. It's really more the sound of the keychain part when I pick it up that he associates with coming to me.

Usually when I grab his lead he comes because he wants to see where I'm taking him. It is fun. I was cracking up :D. Sometimes they just do stuff that drives you bonkers and you know you should correct it but when it is 2 am and you just want to go to bed it's just easier to laugh at their insanity. Either that or go insane yourself. :crazy:

It's not really a lasso. Just in case there's anyone out there thinking I'm playing rodeo clown with my dog. I need a flexilead. It's been decided.

I wish dogs could talk. I would have loved to hear what he was thinking last night. Tonight he's been awesome. He goes out and does his business. I've been hiding toys around the house inside to keep his mental stimulation up so he doesn't get bored.

my boy diesel 06-27-2014 04:16 AM

you take him out potty at 2 am?? how old is he??

Ellimaybel 06-27-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my boy diesel (Post 5697641)
you take him out potty at 2 am?? how old is he??

it's not a matter of his age... He's on my schedule. I'm a night owl so he is too. I'm still up at 2 am.