German Shepherds Forum banner

Fama, the Retired Military Bomb Dog!

21K views 120 replies 37 participants last post by  David Winners 
#1 · (Edited)
Since I am sure Fama has many fans here, I have decided to start her own thread.

It is very gratifying to us to see one of these wonderful dogs, retired and living the good life with her handler!

Hope to see many more like her on here. In the meantime, I am starting a place for David Winners to update us on the new and gentler adventures of Fama, the (Retired) and no longer :censored:hole Bomb dog!

For those who do not know, here is the original story:
http://tinyurl.com/pf6l8qd

I took some this morning just for you :)

Did a little detection and OB before working on her OUT with the ball (she is a little sticky. I think we fixed it this morning)

Here's a pic of my office in it's current state of disarray... got to get busy LOL

Here's a vid of her and Lu playing. They are becoming pretty good buds.

Pam tried to say "time out" to get them to settle for a second while she goes past, but they don't know what that means LOL.It's taken a while for Lu to trust her. He's never been intimidated by a dog before, and it was a real shocker to him when Fama came in and took over. He was constantly a bit defensive with her, and the second she got a little too rough, he would snark back and get defensive.

We just watched their interactions carefully and intervened before anything got serious. Through time and guidance their bond is getting pretty strong. Fama even rolls over with him; something I have never seen her do with people, let alone another dog.

It's been cool to watch their relationship change.

#2 ·
:D:wild:
Headed out with Fama to do some shopping for supplies for my grill project. We went into Lowe's, Home Depot and Ace Hardware. I had her on a prong and she was sporting her " Do Not Pet " collar.

What really surprised me was that she was totally off duty. She no longer walks around waiting for someone to give her a reason to fight. She was totally laid back. We had a good time and she got to meet and greet a couple dozen people. She was perfect, even rubbing up against one lady like a cat.

The checkout girl at Ace wanted a picture so I had Fama jump up on the counter and sit. The girl threw her arm around Fama's shoulders and they smiled for the shot. Pretty cool.

I think she's really digging retirement ;)

David Winners

#8 ·
I get teary eyed looking at these pictures because these dogs have been and continue to be SO imperative to the mission. Most US citizens will never know the value.

Also, let me be clear - the bad guys do not want to come in contact with our "fur missiles" :cool:

Fama (pretty girl), you served your country proud.

#66 ·
Also, let me be clear - the bad guys do not want to come in contact with our "fur missiles" :cool:
Teehee... fur missles :wild:

As a military member myself, who has deployed numerous times... there is nothing better than watching a MWD and their partner work. There is just something so secure and promising about it, knowing they are there. Can't explain it.. Had the chance on my last one to really get to know a few handlers and their dogs.. even played with a few in the mornings before shifts, just awesome.

Thank you David and Fama for everything you did out there and still continue to do. I just spent a good chunk of the last hour relaying your story to my office when they saw me looking at this thread.. (with the exclaimed "she doesn't have a tail?!") :rolleyes:

and thanks Sunflowers for starting this thread!! I can't wait to read more stories! I expecially cannot wait to read the book when it is published!

#9 ·
A tribute thread is exactly what was needed :D

#11 ·
Thanks Sunflowers!!

Fama is doing absolutely GREAT!! She is finding her spot in the family and happily filling it. She is content to hang out lazily, playing with Lu once in a while, or to go and train all day. I've been super busy getting the house and yard in order, plus starting the new job, so there have been days where she isn't busy working or training at all, and she does just fine. Pam helps out keeping her occupied with play and OB throughout the day too.

Karin, I think the biggest challenge for me has been to balance treating her like a working dog and allowing her to be a pet. All the things you do to keep them on point in the work don't matter so much anymore, so I had to change how I look at her daily life and not automatically handle situations like I would if she was still working. She gets toys now. She's not allowed to counter surf. She's not allowed to just go wherever she pleases off leash. She can't interact with the world in the same way, so I have to show her the new rules while being fair and understanding.

The biggest challenge for her, though there really haven't been any real challenges, is that she can't go with me everywhere I go. Before, if I walked out the door, she walked out with me. She literally went everywhere that I went except to the chow hall. For a solid year, every time I opened the door, she would run out and turn to see where we were going. She spent the first couple days trying to door dash, and then the next couple weeks laying against the door waiting for me to come back, even if it was 4-5 hours. She now understands the deal and will go relax somewhere or hang out with Pam when I'm gone.

Pam and I were talking about this last night. It honestly couldn't have gone any better. Fama is behaving like the perfect pet. She's completely at ease in the house with the family and any visitors we have. She is happy to relax and play around the house or to go for a run or do detection work. She has only chewed up one thing, a piece of CAT5 cable that was laying under her Kong, and hasn't had a housetraining accident. The neighbors love her. She enjoys heading out to run errands and is satisfied hanging out in the truck or going in and shopping with me. She is confident and relaxed.

It's really amazing to see her so happy and healthy. I sometimes just watch her from my chair and get tears in my eyes. Everything she has been through, from training to deployment to injuries and 13 different handlers, and now she's home with daddy. I don't know how many lives she saved, but it's a lot. To see her without a care in the world except having fun and eating dinner is just overwhelming when I think about it. She brings so much to my life.

You made it girl!

Yeah, she's a little spoiled now, and that's the way it should be :D

... yes, I make her bed every night LOL

#12 ·
Boy that just made me cry! Coolest story. And so happy for this new chapter for Fama.
Hats off to you, Pam and Fama.... and Lu of course.

It is interesting to me that this is not the only story of a military dog being able to adjust so well to a new life. I think of the recent Nat Geo video of the three legged malinois just blending into the handlers family.

Very cool that is all I have to say!

#13 ·
I just got a PM asking me to explain part of my signature:

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.
When I was trying to come up with something clever for a sig line I went through my favorite quotes, from Rush lyrics to Teddy Roosevelt, and nothing seemed to feel right. I started thinking about my dogs over the years and what they meant to me. I have had some cool dogs (and I still need to reply to that thread some day) and I spent quite some time sifting through memories and what they each meant to me. I was doing this chronologically in my head, and when I got to Fama I realized that the feelings I had for her were stronger, and much different, than the feelings I have for my other dogs. This led me to try and understand why?

Just as battle creates brothers out of soldiers that didn't know each other 3 months ago, the hardship of war forged a great bond between Fama and I. We lived in terrible conditions sometimes, ate bad food, worked in the heat and cold and bad weather, were deprived of sleep and safety and friends. We tackled the mission together. Fama was always an equal partner in the work. I can't smell bombs and she can't fire a weapon. Amazingly enough, I believe she understood this as well as I did.

There came a certain day, in a certain village, on a certain mission, when Fama undoubtedly saved my life. She bit a guy in the face who was about to shoot me from behind. I didn't even know he was there. When all the commotion was over, she came to check on me, ears back, kissing me on the face. Then she curled up next to me on the ground and resumed guard.

At that moment, I knew I had a partner in life that went far beyond a dog wanting a reward.

We spent 3 hours behind a rock one time, taking heavy machinegun fire from a fighting position on a hill. The rest of the platoon was pinned down 150 meters behind us. We shared a bottle of water and a bag of beef jerky. Everything was OK because we both had 10 fingers and 10 toes, and we were together.

So I guess what that quote really means is that there is more to my relationship with my dog than a bowl of food and a scratch behind the ear. We are in life together, and though I don't really know what all that entails, I know that it means I am never alone as long as I have my dog, no matter what.

#14 ·
I just got a PM asking me to explain part of my signature:

When I was trying to come up with something clever for a sig line I went through my favorite quotes, from Rush lyrics to Teddy Roosevelt, and nothing seemed to feel right. I started thinking about my dogs over the years and what they meant to me. I have had some cool dogs (and I still need to reply to that thread some day) and I spent quite some time sifting through memories and what they each meant to me. I was doing this chronologically in my head, and when I got to Fama I realized that the feelings I had for her were stronger, and much different, than the feelings I have for my other dogs. This led me to try and understand why?

Just as battle creates brothers out of soldiers that didn't know each other 3 months ago, the hardship of war forged a great bond between Fama and I. We lived in terrible conditions sometimes, ate bad food, worked in the heat and cold and bad weather, were deprived of sleep and safety and friends. We tackled the mission together. Fama was always an equal partner in the work. I can't smell bombs and she can't fire a weapon. Amazingly enough, I believe she understood this as well as I did.

There came a certain day, in a certain village, on a certain mission, when Fama undoubtedly saved my life. She bit a guy in the face who was about to shoot me from behind. I didn't even know he was there. When all the commotion was over, she came to check on me, ears back, kissing me on the face. Then she curled up next to me on the ground and resumed guard.

At that moment, I knew I had a partner in life that went far beyond a dog wanting a reward.

We spent 3 hours behind a rock one time, taking heavy machinegun fire from a fighting position on a hill. The rest of the platoon was pinned down 150 meters behind us. We shared a bottle of water and a bag of beef jerky. Everything was OK because we both had 10 fingers and 10 toes, and we were together.

So I guess what that quote really means is that there is more to my relationship with my dog than a bowl of food and a scratch behind the ear. We are in life together, and though I don't really know what all that entails, I know that it means I am never alone as long as I have my dog, no matter what.
I am not a sappy person at all, but this whole thread nearly brought me to tears, especially this post. I love this. :wub:

#15 ·
What a wonderful story. I'm so glad you and Fama survived. You have something that many people will never experience; a deep bond with another living creature. Thank you for giving her a much deserved forever home but after reading this post, I see there was no danger of her losing that. And thank you and Fama for your wonderful service to keep out country safe.

#17 ·
She saved your life.
Wow.
Guess I am not the only one who keeps getting moved to tears by this story.

A GSD is so much more than a dog, but the ones who work in the military take it to a whole other level.
I didn't know she has had so many handlers. That is mind boggling. They got as much out of her as they could. Thank heavens all she lost was her tail.

Thank you again, and special snout kisses to Fama. It just goes to show how wonderful and intuitive and intelligent these dogs are, that she was able to go into family mode and adapt so well, after having to be a war dog.
Although I do feel bad for her, that she sometimes gets left behind :eek:

#21 ·
Love following this thread!

Keep the updates coming, I've been following your updates off and on with Fama. Just a great story with a happy ending. My thanks to both of your for your service. Does Fama get a Purple Heart for her tail? You both made it home and are writing a new chapter. In fact, maybe you should consider writing this down and telling her story. I would buy the book!

#22 ·
You can read the first half of the book on the internet. Google Fama bomb dog and you will find it ;)

The second half is still in the works.

David Winners

#23 ·
Have any of Famas other handlers expressed interest in seeing her again? Were any of them contacted about adopting her after she was retired? I know you were not contacted. So just curious as to how that works. I would think previous handlers would be the first contacted.

I did not know she had so many handlers, so it's just curiosity on my part. She is definitely where she is supposed to be. I wish you all the best with her. She has truly earned a freshly made bed each night and home full of love and treats.

Can't wait to hear more stories!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#25 ·
None of her other handlers ever worked out. She either punked them out by bullying them or wouldn't work for them. She deployed with a contractor to Iraq before I got her and was sent home for biting an interpreter. It's a long story, and he really had it coming, but none the less, I'm the only one that really clicked with her.

Fama's handler at Bragg was going to adopt her, as well as another handler there, until I got involved. Having deployed with her gave me priority of sorts.

I'm just glad that she's happy and healthy. She deserves to have her bed made every night, and the best that I can do for her every day. We just got back from a run to the auto parts store and the beer store. I take her everywhere I can get away with it lol. We worked 2 detection problems today and went for a 4 mile run before dinner.

She's loving life and that makes me happy :D

David Winners

#24 ·
Wow, your story just gets better and better. I am so grateful there are people like you and dogs like her watching over our young people in danger. To say thank you just seems so lame! I'm so glad she's adapted once again and that she has you and your family to give her such a happy life. And thank you for sharing!

#28 ·
Lol... I just tell people to Google Fama bomb dog. I got in trouble with the mods her when I first tried to post the story here :)

David Winners

#35 ·
I think so too. We share a brain lol. I think we are just a lot alike and we have a tendency to come to the same conclusion given the same situation. I don't really know though. How can you quantify a relationship? It's beyond my understanding. I just know it's fun, and we both seem to get a lot out of it.

David Winners

#33 ·
I watched a show on military dogs and handlers called Glory Hounds, I sobbed the entire two hours and woke up with a headache. lol

I honestly have no idea how you guys get through the stress of doing tours in places like Iraq and Afghanistan, you have my utmost respect.

I'm so glad you were reunited with her and that she's adjusting to her retirement. Some animals just grab a hold of your heart and don't let go.

#34 ·
We get through it because we have our brothers and sisters to our left and right. In my case, I had Fama. It's nothing heroic or above and beyond what anyone would do in the same situation, if they are able. You do what you are trained and you protect one another. You do your job, just like anyone does.

Aside from missing my family, I love being deployed. It's a great job being a soldier... especially as a handler.

David Winners

#36 ·
Thanks again for the explanation. I, too, had wondered about the back story. Your video of Lu and Fama plays looks exactly like what happens in my house every single day. Except my Lu is an overweight lab named Jocassee and my Fama has a tail :) Best of luck in your continued daily adventures with your "soul dog" (I really like that btw.)

#37 ·
I decided to video some Nosework this evening. This is a vehicle search with 1 hide (1 birch q-tip) placed under the truck on the frame by the rear driver's side tire. It was really windy. She hits odor on the front of the truck but can't pinpoint it. She ends up going all the way to the rear of the truck and then underneath before figuring out where it is.

Thought you may like to see her working. She's a little groggy at first. She was napping after dinner when I leashed her up LOL.

Fama Nosework2 27 JUN 14 - YouTube

I can't figure out why the video won't imbed... oh well :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.