Fama, the Retired Military Bomb Dog! - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2014, 12:50 AM   #41 (permalink)
Moderator
 
David Winners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,073
Default

Having a focused stare at the source of odor helps the handler determine where the source is. This is handy when telling EOD (Explosives Ordinance Disposal... the bomb squad) where the dog responded. She knows that the only way to get the reward is to stare at the source. You can see that she checks on where I am a couple of times to try and see when the reward is coming. I move out of her field of vision to remove any visual cues to the reward so she doesn't learn to anticipate the ball and break from the indication. Imagine if you were going to take notes on the location of a suspected IED and you reached into your pocket for a pen and the dog broke from the stay.

It's not important now, because she's finding q-tips with birch oil on them, but I'm keeping up good practices because it's habit, and the focused stare looks cool
__________________
When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-28-2014, 01:44 AM   #42 (permalink)
Master Member
 
Colie CVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 615
Default

All the pictures and stories and videos just make me smile. She is a really special girl and I'm so glad that she got to go home with you in the end. I have a lot of respect for handlers in the military and police force. Not all mind you, but very many of them.

I spent three days taking care of a K9 who unfortunately turned out to be much sicker than we originally realized. He actually was in a magazine as a hero dog if I am remembering right. I would have to google to see if his story is still up there. He was a good eleven years old if I remember right and had cancer in between times when he was deployed. He was always so relaxed with me, even if I had to rotate him and do other things. The women who had been taking care of him while he was on base came up to be with him when we euthanized him, and I was right there with him, certain to take care of him in the end. <3 Such brave and loyal creatures deserve a great deal of respect.
Colie CVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #43 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,158
Default

It does look cool! I like that you jiggle the line a bit, it's funny when they are on it, they won't leave.

I have trouble directing my dog. At the trial last weekend, the judge (retired police k9 guy) said it's better to use a collar over a harness for that reason. I see you use a harness? Which do you find is better? I started using one so my dog knew it was ok to pull a bit with it on, vs being walked on a collar.

Sorry to hijack
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #44 (permalink)
Moderator
 
David Winners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,073
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
It does look cool! I like that you jiggle the line a bit, it's funny when they are on it, they won't leave.

I have trouble directing my dog. At the trial last weekend, the judge (retired police k9 guy) said it's better to use a collar over a harness for that reason. I see you use a harness? Which do you find is better? I started using one so my dog knew it was ok to pull a bit with it on, vs being walked on a collar.

Sorry to hijack
The jiggle the line (actually I pull pretty hard) is to get the dog to stay at source no matter what. It's not so important when you can really pay attention to the dog, but if you are distracted, you don't want the dog leaving source because you tugged on the leash. It's referred to as obedience to odor.

I use a harness so the dog knows it's okay to pull. I use a flat collar for vehicles sometimes, as in the truck video. For 6' leash work, especially with new handlers, I use a collar. Preferably a wide collar that is snug enough to stay in place with the D ring on top of the dog's neck. It makes leash handling easier for newbies.

I use a harness more because I teach some positions with leash pressure, and I don't want the dog to become insensitive to pressure on its neck. It is also much easier to work a dog on a long line in harness. The leash doesn't tangle in the dog's legs as often.

No worry about the hijack. I should probably make a new Nosework thread. I have been getting a lot of questions about it.

When you say "trouble directing your dog," can you give an example or show some video?

David Winners
__________________
When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #45 (permalink)
Moderator
 
David Winners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,073
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colie CVT View Post
All the pictures and stories and videos just make me smile. She is a really special girl and I'm so glad that she got to go home with you in the end. I have a lot of respect for handlers in the military and police force. Not all mind you, but very many of them.

I spent three days taking care of a K9 who unfortunately turned out to be much sicker than we originally realized. He actually was in a magazine as a hero dog if I am remembering right. I would have to google to see if his story is still up there. He was a good eleven years old if I remember right and had cancer in between times when he was deployed. He was always so relaxed with me, even if I had to rotate him and do other things. The women who had been taking care of him while he was on base came up to be with him when we euthanized him, and I was right there with him, certain to take care of him in the end. <3 Such brave and loyal creatures deserve a great deal of respect.
Thanks for what you do. I read the thread about your boy. It's great that you were there for him.

David Winners
__________________
When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 04:31 PM   #46 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,158
Default

Let me know if you want to move the conversation over to a new thread.

Basically, my dog is young and pretty high drive. She waits for the command to start her search almost coiled to spring into action, so when I tell her to search, she plows ahead and I always have to circle her back to the starting point because she leaps past the first few feet.

She searches really fast and she is hard to do detail work with, because she kind of runs all over the place and at trials you can't pull on your dog or you lose points, but she's hard to keep up with! Container searches, for example, she will jump from one line to another without finishing the line so I have to bring her back if I'm not getting an indication. Basically, it's a nightmare for trials because I have to try to remember what we missed.

It sounds worse than it is, she got 196/200 at her last trial, it's just something I want to try to fix.

Anyway the first thing the k9 guy said to me at the trial, was a collar would be better than a harness.

I wish you lived closer, I'd love to take classes from you or something, you are really knowledgable with this stuff! Thanks for taking the time to help people here, it's really appreciated.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #47 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Sunflowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 7,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
Let me know if you want to move the conversation over to a new thread.

Basically, my dog is young and pretty high drive. She waits for the command to start her search almost coiled to spring into action, so when I tell her to search, she plows ahead and I always have to circle her back to the starting point because she leaps past the first few feet.

She searches really fast and she is hard to do detail work with, because she kind of runs all over the place and at trials you can't pull on your dog or you lose points, but she's hard to keep up with! Container searches, for example, she will jump from one line to another without finishing the line so I have to bring her back if I'm not getting an indication. Basically, it's a nightmare for trials because I have to try to remember what we missed.

It sounds worse than it is, she got 196/200 at her last trial, it's just something I want to try to fix.

Anyway the first thing the k9 guy said to me at the trial, was a collar would be better than a harness.

I wish you lived closer, I'd love to take classes from you or something, you are really knowledgable with this stuff! Thanks for taking the time to help people here, it's really appreciated.
C'mon now... This is Fama's update thread!
__________________
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-2012
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #48 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,158
Default

I know, he asked for heavens sake!
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 05:17 PM   #49 (permalink)
Moderator
 
David Winners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,073
Default

Busy at the moment. I'll make a new thread.

David Winners
__________________
When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2014, 08:24 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master Member
 
Colie CVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 615
Default

Sorry I derailed it a touch but seeing Fama reminds me of him. I thank you and others like you for what you do. <3 I have a lot of admiration and respect for the sacrifices you all make.

So glad to see Fama having fun! She moves like my roommates older boy with the same condition. She looks like she is a spry and happy retired girl! Spoiled and loved.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Colie CVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:33 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum