Sigh...biking mishap..."spray question" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Sigh...biking mishap..."spray question"

So I have really been enjoying biking with my boy. We just do some laps around the neighborhood & it really helps him to relax. Today however we had a black lab and a smaller dog come charging after us.
At first I thought they would stop at a certain distance and kept peddling. As soon as I thought to myself that I need to stop, I ended up falling with Dinozzo trying to dodge their snaps. I think I partially fell on him too so I really hope he is okay. Though he seems to be.
I yelled for them to go home before the fall but they didn't listen. Once I fell I was soo angry that I yelled again and they finally listed that time. A different neighbor came out to check on us as she heard me yelling.
I kinda know the people who live there as I grew up with them as neighbors. I messaged her on facebook of the incident & she was very apologetic. I have biked there so many times that I really do believe it was just a random accident.
However, I am so tired of dogs coming after us on walks and biking that I really am thinking of getting one of those sprays. Has anyone ever had to use one? Does it really deter them or is it likely just to make the situation worse/aggrivate them?

Last edited by KathrynApril; 06-23-2014 at 03:13 PM.
KathrynApril is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 03:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Do you mean pepper spray? They work with most dogs I'd imangine, but the type that spray out in a cone like bear spray can affect you too if there's a wind. They make one that shoots a stream, less likely to get yourself, but a little harder to hit the target. We had an incident last night with a herd of mutant Chihuahuas, had all could do to keep the two aggressive ones from biting me and my dog. A handful of gravel works great, but there was none around. I don't know about you, but I'm still PO a day later.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

My dog was truly attacked on a walk. It was so traumatizing for me that I stopped walking in my neighborhood. He ended up having to go to the vet and need to be sedated to have his ear stitched up.

I just wish people were more responsible with their animals. This was the 3rd time this dog got loose and attacked another dog. It has since been seized and PTS.
lauren43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 03:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Oh good point about the wind. I actually have regular pepper spray for when I do photography so it mostly stays on my car keys, but I guess I could just start bringing that along. I was thinking of the cone spray but didnt know it was actually bear spray. I can't remember if I saw some for sale at PetCo or Meijers.
They apologized so I am no longer mad. Though I am still mad at myself for not stopping right away. Oh well, lesson learned.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren43 View Post
My dog was truly attacked on a walk. It was so traumatizing for me that I stopped walking in my neighborhood. He ended up having to go to the vet and need to be sedated to have his ear stitched up.

I just wish people were more responsible with their animals. This was the 3rd time this dog got loose and attacked another dog. It has since been seized and PTS.
Yikes so sorry to hear that Lauren.

I have been lucky enough that even though they are barking/growling they haven't bitten. I just hope I never get to the point where he does get bit.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynApril View Post
Yikes so sorry to hear that Lauren.

I have been lucky enough that even though they are barking/growling they haven't bitten. I just hope I never get to the point where he does get bit.
It just makes the simple task of taking your dog for a walk so stressful. What about just a water gun or sprayer, that could work for some dogs...Of course it wouldn't work if the dog liked water lol.
lauren43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Gel based pepper spray is the only way to go if your going to use it, more of silly string less of cooking spray. Don't get anything they sell at a pet store, go for a sporting good store.

Sent from Petguide.com Free Appc
Thewretched is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewretched View Post
Gel based pepper spray is the only way to go if your going to use it, more of silly string less of cooking spray. Don't get anything they sell at a pet store, go for a sporting good store.

Sent from Petguide.com Free Appc
Thank you so much I will do that.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Can you find places to bike that are away from people, cars, and dogs? We have been lucky enough to find a nearby park or cemetery that welcomed behaving dogs and responsible dog owners. I take mine bikejoring daily and rarely have any problems. I used to have similar problems in areas like neighborhoods with dogs that would run up on us off leash. My dogs have been attacked multiple times, and each time I was able to defend my dogs and beat off the attacking dogs. The problem with the sprays from what I've read is that sometimes the spray will get into your eyes or your own dog's eyes, depending on the wind direction and speed. I wouldn't use a spray, but I also now have plenty of experience breaking up dog fights with my bare hands. No fun ever! Ha. Good luck.
Sir BEOWULF the Brave {male Siberian Husky | Wolf}
counter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2014, 03:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Even though we have concealed carry now, I think pepperspray is still illegal in crook county IL. I have some and id use it if needed, but I understand that ill be going to court if I do. I have 10 round mags for my guns too- stupid county.

Last edited by volcano; 06-24-2014 at 03:36 AM.
volcano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.