Anyone else ever fall on their face? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2014, 01:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Anyone else ever fall on their face?

Because I hope I am not the only one lol.

Today the trainer changed it up on me. We were going to try to get Leia to move in a circle with the sleeve to convince her to keep a hold of it longer. Her defense drive is insanely off the charts and we have been working on getting her prey higher. He's leaving next weekend for school upstate and won't be around as much. Trying to get as much training as I can in lol.

So the idea was when he dropped the sleeve to keep her moving in a circle. Circle away didn't help. She dropped the sleeve and was watching him. So we started to circle around him so that she kept moving but was looking at him. It definitely was adding more for me to think about, which I hadn't really needed to do in awhile.

So when I was attempting to think about keeping tension on the leash as we walked to keep her holding strong on the bite, I forgot that I have feet. And they are supposed to go next to one another rather than on top of one another. -.-

My left leg is not really good. It's had a few different injuries and I can't move it very quickly. So when that foot is the one that steps on the good foot, I end up landing smack on my face lol. Well knee to hip to elbow to face. The leash lost all its slack, but thankfully the trainer is really good and kept her occupied as I peeled myself up from the grass. If it hadn't been grass I would be likely in way more pain. However my right shoulder is my bad one, so it is rather mad at me.

Anyone else take a big spill? >> I can't be the only klutz...
Colie CVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2014, 01:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Definitely not the only one. I was practicing agility with Kaiju a couple weeks ago and instead of going straight down a line of jumps to my right, he shot left across my front and took me out at the knees. It's the only time I can safely say I've ever done a land-based belly flop.

And then Kaiju pranced back and started licking my face as if to say "What'd you THAT for?!"
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 01:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've definitely walked into one or two things on the street pretty hard while doing leash work and concentrating on the dog.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

One day I had Gunther in a sit after he dropped the kong. I was holding the football over my head and backing away to keep him in a stay. My left foot hit 2 patio bricks covering a hole he dug, my right foot hit the kong. Amazingly when I fell flat on my side I never let go of either the cigarette or the football. Gunther did break the sit/stay but it was just to come laugh at me. He was gracious enough to allow me to use him to help myself up though.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.
Ellimaybel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 03:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Another time, I went for a trail run with him, and he accidentally tripped me up and sent me flying at the furthest point on the loop, 5-6 km from the car. I scraped up my leg badly enough to leave a scar, but I managed to limp back to the car, only to discover the keys had fallen out of my pocket into the bushes during the fall. He was pretty pleased with himself when we headed to the trail entrance again to get them after we got back to the car the first time
Old 06-22-2014, 05:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I threw my girls orbee ball while holding the leash??? It hurt like heck, and my keys spilled out in the snow and were lost for a month.
volcano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh yeah. This is something that I am very cautious of. I have sent my dog in for a blind search before and the long line got wrapped around my legs pulling be forward. I landed on my left arm pushing into my rib cage. That was very painful. I bruised my ribs bad and I also had quite the audience who very graciously laughed at me as hard as they could. Lesson learned. Be aware of where that long line is before you send your dog.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Scout likes to weave through your legs while your walking and then sit right on your feet. That's how I've fell on my side and face a couple times each.
scout172 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

I have fallen several times -- one of them was a doosy! I was showing my champion show dog in the herding group. We had just finished our individual exam, and were gaiting around to the end of the line of dogs. My foot caught the rubber mat that was laid over a small rise in the concrete underneath it. It was like being on roller skates -- my foot stopped, but my upper body didn't. When I smacked into the concrete, I hit my left elbow and my head! Knocked my out cold. The ring steward came rushing in to take the leash, my husband was checking on me, and someone called 911. Luckily we had friends at the show who took the dog and all of my grooming stuff, put it all into the van, and drove the van to the hospital so my husband could ride in the ambulance (he got to play with the siren). I had a moderate concussion and a broken upper arm/shoulder.

There are more stories, but that is the worst one.
Home of Ch Doll; U-CDx Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP OA AXJ(ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Natty; Ch Red the Dachshund

Last edited by Andaka; 06-22-2014 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typo
Andaka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I do a recall a time when I said to myself " Man that concrete is hard" as my head bounced off it.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.