Training derailed by "dog whisperer" FIL - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2014, 04:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Training derailed by "dog whisperer" FIL

Need to vent: Me and Steve are working on getting Sookie to stop barking and jumping up on people she likes - I've posted about this before, gotten great advice, and its going well (but slowly due to lack of practice).

We have explained to steve's dad that when he comes into our house he should not give Sookie commands, and that we will do that, and that the goal is for her to remain calm, etc., he simply DOES NOT listen to us.

He comes in when, Sookie gets excited, but instead of doing as we have asked, he immediately (every time - even if she is just excitedly sniffing at him and not jumping) starts shouting "sit! Sit! Sit!" over and over while sort of wrestling with her collar to try and force her away from him or into a sit. Clearly this just riles her up and she associates him coming in with excited play.

I've explained our methods, I've explained he shouldn't repeat commands anyway, I've said he is riling her up. He seriously thinks he is the dog whisperer and that because his 14-year-old border collie who has arthritis doesn't jump then clearly he is an expert in getting dogs to not jump up. He is a super lovely guy but this is driving me insane. I feel we have both said in every possible and clear way that he needs to stop this and why. He simply doesn't think he does and believes that he is some incredible dog trainer whose magic touch will "cure" Sookie. He frequently says how insane she is, and how hyper, etc - I know she has more energy than most dogs but she is also ridiculously smart and really well-trained in many ways - so it riles me up when he says this whilst egging her on to misbehave (i know he isn't doing it on purpose but it just annoys me to hear him call her crazy and hyper while shouting at her and wrestling with her collar! - of course this winds her up!).

Arrrrghhhh!!!! Anyone else have this? How can we possibly be clearer? Driving me nuts...
Sookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2014, 04:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sookie says "i can't help being crazy!"
Attached Thumbnails
Training derailed by "dog whisperer" FIL-image.jpg  
Sookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2014, 04:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I've had that problem with relatives before. And I've gotten downright rude about it too. I actually kicked an uncle out of my house because he couldn't behave around my puppy. And with most other family, if they don't listen the first time, I've taken to crating Kaiju with a yummy Kong during their visit. When they ask why he isn't out, I tell them I'll let them meet him when they earn that privilege by following my greeting rules. Some have come around. Some don't get to see him.

It's really no trouble to me if he just doesn't meet some members of my family. If they won't behave around him, I just won't put him in that situation. I'll wait until his manners are bomb-proof and THEN he can meet the less respectful family members.
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2014, 05:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

When you know he is coming over, put the dog up.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2014, 07:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Easy solution and then as she gets older and better then keep her on leash attached to you or your husband while he's around. Some people just don't respect boundaries and it falls to us to create them

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2014, 07:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Another vote for putting your dog up when he is coming over. When he asks why the dog isn't out; be clear it is because he refuses to follow your directions.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2014, 07:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Ensure that Sookie doesn't jump on him, he won't feel the need to correct her. I hate to go to homes and have dogs jump on me...so if you need to crate her when he comes over, then do that.
ksotto333 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Keep a spray bottle full of water handy and when Steve's dad doesn't do as you ask tell him to "stop", if he doesn't stop, squirt him in the face. Make sure he understands what behavior you're correcting him for...timing is everything.

Or...like others have said, either put her in her crate or on a leash when he comes over. If she's on a leash lower the middle section to the floor and stand on it so she can't jump.
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I guess I dont get what "working on it" means. Put a line on the dog when she starts to get crazy correction and a firm no. Or tell the dog to leave it or put her in a down or place command. Correct her if she breaks it. Problem solved.
Not a complex training evolution just simple behavior stuff.
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2014, 09:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg1 View Post
I guess I dont get what "working on it" means. Put a line on the dog when she starts to get crazy correction and a firm no. Or tell the dog to leave it or put her in a down or place command. Correct her if she breaks it. Problem solved.
Not a complex training evolution just simple behavior stuff.
Agreed. Just correct the dog for jumping. How hard can it be?
simba405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.