German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Stories (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/)
-   -   Training derailed by "dog whisperer" FIL (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/462321-training-derailed-dog-whisperer-fil.html)

Sookie 06-20-2014 04:29 AM

Training derailed by "dog whisperer" FIL

Need to vent: Me and Steve are working on getting Sookie to stop barking and jumping up on people she likes - I've posted about this before, gotten great advice, and its going well (but slowly due to lack of practice).

We have explained to steve's dad that when he comes into our house he should not give Sookie commands, and that we will do that, and that the goal is for her to remain calm, etc., he simply DOES NOT listen to us.

He comes in when, Sookie gets excited, but instead of doing as we have asked, he immediately (every time - even if she is just excitedly sniffing at him and not jumping) starts shouting "sit! Sit! Sit!" over and over while sort of wrestling with her collar to try and force her away from him or into a sit. Clearly this just riles her up and she associates him coming in with excited play.

I've explained our methods, I've explained he shouldn't repeat commands anyway, I've said he is riling her up. He seriously thinks he is the dog whisperer and that because his 14-year-old border collie who has arthritis doesn't jump then clearly he is an expert in getting dogs to not jump up. He is a super lovely guy but this is driving me insane. I feel we have both said in every possible and clear way that he needs to stop this and why. He simply doesn't think he does and believes that he is some incredible dog trainer whose magic touch will "cure" Sookie. He frequently says how insane she is, and how hyper, etc - I know she has more energy than most dogs but she is also ridiculously smart and really well-trained in many ways - so it riles me up when he says this whilst egging her on to misbehave (i know he isn't doing it on purpose but it just annoys me to hear him call her crazy and hyper while shouting at her and wrestling with her collar! - of course this winds her up!).

Arrrrghhhh!!!! Anyone else have this? How can we possibly be clearer? Driving me nuts...

Sookie 06-20-2014 04:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sookie says "i can't help being crazy!"

Pax8 06-20-2014 04:39 AM

I've had that problem with relatives before. And I've gotten downright rude about it too. I actually kicked an uncle out of my house because he couldn't behave around my puppy. And with most other family, if they don't listen the first time, I've taken to crating Kaiju with a yummy Kong during their visit. When they ask why he isn't out, I tell them I'll let them meet him when they earn that privilege by following my greeting rules. Some have come around. Some don't get to see him.

It's really no trouble to me if he just doesn't meet some members of my family. If they won't behave around him, I just won't put him in that situation. I'll wait until his manners are bomb-proof and THEN he can meet the less respectful family members.

jocoyn 06-20-2014 05:15 AM

When you know he is coming over, put the dog up.

Shade 06-20-2014 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocoyn (Post 5667265)

:thumbup: Easy solution and then as she gets older and better then keep her on leash attached to you or your husband while he's around. Some people just don't respect boundaries and it falls to us to create them

Twyla 06-20-2014 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocoyn (Post 5667265)

Another vote for putting your dog up when he is coming over. When he asks why the dog isn't out; be clear it is because he refuses to follow your directions.

ksotto333 06-20-2014 07:20 AM

Ensure that Sookie doesn't jump on him, he won't feel the need to correct her. I hate to go to homes and have dogs jump on me...so if you need to crate her when he comes over, then do that.

Whiteshepherds 06-20-2014 08:47 AM

Keep a spray bottle full of water handy and when Steve's dad doesn't do as you ask tell him to "stop", if he doesn't stop, squirt him in the face. :D Make sure he understands what behavior you're correcting him for...timing is everything. ;)

Or...like others have said, either put her in her crate or on a leash when he comes over. If she's on a leash lower the middle section to the floor and stand on it so she can't jump.

Blitzkrieg1 06-20-2014 08:53 AM

I guess I dont get what "working on it" means. Put a line on the dog when she starts to get crazy correction and a firm no. Or tell the dog to leave it or put her in a down or place command. Correct her if she breaks it. Problem solved.
Not a complex training evolution just simple behavior stuff.

simba405 06-20-2014 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg1 (Post 5667617)
I guess I dont get what "working on it" means. Put a line on the dog when she starts to get crazy correction and a firm no. Or tell the dog to leave it or put her in a down or place command. Correct her if she breaks it. Problem solved.
Not a complex training evolution just simple behavior stuff.

Agreed. Just correct the dog for jumping. How hard can it be?