Unwanted or needed dog training advice - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Unwanted or needed dog training advice

Please put your stories of times you were struggling with your dog and were given advice by a well meaning stranger who enraged you here.
glowingtoadfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 11:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

When Kaiju was 3 months old and we were working on leash manners. Pretty good, but he pulled occasionally: "Have you heard of a prong collar? That's what you're supposed to train German Shepherds with so they don't get aggressive."

When working on Kaiju's puppy mouthing: "Every time he bites you, you should grab his tongue and not let go until he cries." Also: "Press his tongue against his teeth until it bleeds a little bit."

When working on Kaiju's urge to chew the leash: "You should just pick him up off the ground by the leash every time he bites it."

After Kaiju was neutered and had to wear the cone of shame: "I can't believe you're going to make him wear that horrible thing. I've heard cayenne pepper can make them stop chewing things. Maybe you should just rub some on him to discourage the chewing." (On his STITCHES?!)

While working on Kaiju's excitement/barkiness towards other dogs on leash: "You should spray him in the face with a 50/50 mix of water and apple cider vinegar so he knows you mean business."

When I was working with my DA/PA dog Atlas on remaining calm in the presence of his triggers: "There's really no hope for him. If you want to feel better, you should just put him to sleep."

When I was actively walking away from a woman and her child at the park with Atlas: "You need to let people pet him so he can get better! How is he going to get better if you don't let anyone touch him?" (She was trying to get me to let her child pet my dog with a BITE HISTORY which I clearly told her about. Apparently the muzzle makes it okay?)

Also about Atlas: "You need to be more of a leader to him. If all you do is give him treats, you're never going to get anywhere with him. If you hold him down when there are people around, he'll know you're in control."

They irritated me because they made the assumption that I knew nothing or based their theories off of untrue stereotypes of different training methods. Or their suggestions were just bonkers. The conversations would have gone much more smoothly if they had started out with maybe "What have you done so far?"
Pax8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 11:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well I had my kids 8 yr old friend tell me he could train our puppy for me if I'd like last night

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ZoeD1217 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2014, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

LOL I give him ten minutes. Zoe sounds like a punk!
Old 06-17-2014, 11:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Pax, I have been there. A random woman with a dopey lab just told me to watch the dog whisperer when Grim was reacting. During a reaction. With the crazy disciple eyes. I cried.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowingtoadfly View Post
LOL I give him ten minutes. Zoe sounds like a punk!
We don't get tons of visitors so she has terrible greeting skills. She jumps. So anyway I have her on the leash for the initial greeting and I'm having to hold her back while she jumps... And he's telling me his dog jumps too and he just puts his knee up *he's demonstrating* and all I can think is Zoe must be bigger than his dog bc his knee would surely fall in the dip well under her chest and she'd have her big arse feet all over his little face! I told him maybe another time. Ha!

The jumping is definitely something we need to work on with little visitors.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeD1217 View Post
We don't get tons of visitors so she has terrible greeting skills. She jumps. So anyway I have her on the leash for the initial greeting and I'm having to hold her back while she jumps... And he's telling me his dog jumps too and he just puts his knee up *he's demonstrating* and all I can think is Zoe must be bigger than his dog bc his knee would surely fall in the dip well under her chest and she'd have her big arse feet all over his little face! I told him maybe another time. Ha!

The jumping is definitely something we need to work on with little visitors.

Why would that enrage you? He's offering you advice on something that you don't know how to fix. You should try it. It works. Makes jumping up uncomfortable. Why would a dog do something uncomfortable?
simba405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 12:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simba405 View Post
Why would that enrage you? He's offering you advice on something that you don't know how to fix. You should try it. It works. Makes jumping up uncomfortable. Why would a dog do something uncomfortable?
I was kidding....I apologize if that went over your head

Old 06-18-2014, 12:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Sure didn't sound like you were kidding. Sounds like a real problem you have. Maybe I'm mistaken?
simba405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 12:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simba405 View Post
Sure didn't sound like you were kidding. Sounds like a real problem you have. Maybe I'm mistaken?
It is a real problem. I'm kidding in that I'm not actually enraged...
The knee up isn't new advice. It may work if an adult is doing it. It won't help a child if she's jumping though.
I'm not blind to the fact we have a problem. I was simply making conversation on this thread. Carry on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.