German Shepherds Forum banner

Shocked at the french GSD forum

14K views 87 replies 49 participants last post by  SuperG 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all,

Some of you may know us, we're the proud owners of 2 GSDs, one black and tanned Kailash and one blue Enakai. We live at the moment in France and we wanted to share our pics with french owners of GSDs.

We found a site where we introduced our babies, starting with Enakai, and Oh My God, i've never seen so many angry GSD owners in all my life :eek:

We have been attacked very aggressively that Enakai is not a german shepherd, that her pedigree given by the UK kennel club is pointless and doesn't mean anything and more specifically that the American Kennel Cub, Canadian Kennel Club and UK kennel club are even more PSEUDO SWEARING since they don't recognize the international standard!! :confused:

And even some members said about our dog that she was ugly and we should be ashamed, etc and the moderators didn't say anything (actually one of them said she was ugly) and when i said it's not right to say such a thing about puppies, i've been told by the moderators to accept criticism then finally blocked our post saying that blue GSDs is a shame and people need to be careful about people like me lying, calling our blue a GSD!!

REMOVED LINK

I remember when I introduced my girl to you guys, I've been well welcomed, no one insulted my puppie and even if some of you didn't agree with blues, which i can understand, then none of you said to me that my girl is NOT a GSD and her pedigree is PSEUDO SWEARING or even that she is ugly!

So can anyone tell me if it's true that the American Kennel Club and Canadian and UK kennel club are actually not recognizing the FCI (international standards)??

PS: by far, this forum is the best GSD forum in the world!!! :wub:

See less See more
#2 ·
Also do you think it's right that I've been asked to put online all the papers of my dog in order to post on a GSD forum???

#3 ·
The French...ehhhhhh....

LOL

Don't worry about it. Some people are just rude. Blue's are in the genes. Are they "acceptable" per breed standard? No. But that doesn't make your dog less.

If they don't know that blue's are in the genes then I would wonder what they really know about German Shepherds.

AKC does not follow FCI standards. That is correct. Any dogs that have a pedigree can be registered and bred regardless of quality. It's why there are American Show Line, German Show Line, Working Line. I can't speak for the other kennel clubs. However, right now it's the best system we have for purebred dogs.

Next time, we'll let Germany keep France. ;)

#61 ·
The French...ehhhhhh....

LOL

Next time, we'll let Germany keep France. ;)
Ha, we don't want it either.

Q: How do you get a French waiter's attention?
A: Start ordering in German.

Q: Why did the French celebrate their World Cup Championship in 2000 so wildly?

A: It was their first time they won anything without the help of the U.S.

Q: How did the French react to German reunification?

A: They put up speed bumps at the borders to slow down the Panzers.

Q: What did the French waiter say to the German General?

A: Table for 100,000 sir?

Next time there's a war in Europe, the loser has to keep France.

Tell a few of these on their forum.

#9 · (Edited)
Thank you all for your support and reassurance :) :wub:

@Jax08, thank you very much for the info. I checked and the UK kennel club run the world's largest dog event, Crufts since 1891 and I just found out that a blue and tanned has qualified for next year.
If the germans could see how France has turned out, they wouldn't want it ;-)

@SuperG, you killed me there hahaha Good thing Enakai loves to eat chicken :D

A friend has taken those pictures 2 days ago with her new Canon camera. You can see her eyes a lot clearer ;)

Attachments

#11 ·
#14 ·
Thank you all, I really appreciate it and even more now that i know my girl is soo hated here in France :(

#16 ·
I hit the "translate" button on my computer and kind of made out some of the pages lol. Did someone claim that the blue's can't reproduce? I think I deduced that your blue came from a blue sire and a black/tan dam? So the breeder was breeding for that specific color? I am curious about the claims that blues can't reproduce. Or were they saying they shouldn't reproduce?

That being said, I think most around here wouldn't promote a breeder that breeds for the "out of standard" colors, I think the people on that site were stating the same, in a not so American-polite fashion. However, we Americans are very sensitive. Just different communication styles and culture. ~shrug~

I wouldn't get too upset over what anyone thinks about your dog. As long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters. There are colors of the GSD I don't care for, but a good dog is a good dog. I personally like the all blacks and bis and then the darker/red sables. I'd say livers/blues/pandas are my least favorite on the "spectrum." Doesn't matter though, I'd take any color if the dog was balanced with great nerves and nice drives.

#18 ·
They are extremely rude. Just because a pure breed dog doesn't fit the standard, does not mean they should be bashed and called "ugly". I actually like uniqueness in things. My sable boy has hazel eyes, and I know that that is not the breed standard, but nobody yells at me and tells me that he isn't a GSD. I think your blue GSD is gorgeous! Be proud that your GSD is uniquely beautiful!

#21 · (Edited)
It is an internet site.

We have been criticized by some of the posts about white GSDs.

I think we have a good team of moderators here that cover the gamut of working, pet, sport, breeder/rescue/shelter dog owners that for the most part, they are unlikely to encourage or participating in dissing individual dogs, and will intervene if it is warranted. But, the fact is, there are a lot of people out there whose passion for what is correct in the breed, that they too may be rather blunt when they see dogs that are incorrect being ooh'd and ah'd over.

For example, the big ones. There is a problem in the US, that GSDs are often perceived as dogs that should be between 100 and 130 pounds. Because a lot of people like the big ones, there is a large following of large GSDs. And people here can sometimes be pretty adamant against breeding for size, the same as color.

I think that it is one step off when we look at someone's pet and complement it. If enough people complement the blues and livers (which I think are just so neat), then more people out there are going to be breeding for blues and livers and pandas, etc.

It is a balance. People with off colors and oversize have the same issues and need the same advice as people with correct sizes and the colors that are accepted. So we want these people here. We can learn from them and they can learn from us, and we can all share each other's stories and pictures. But, I certainly understand when people are not enthusiastic with people who are looking to purchase off color or over-sized dogs or to breed for them.

And, I think that we really shouldn't be dissing the French either here. This site was French, but you might hear the same sort of thing on a German or other site. And, it gets mighty close to being political. And, well, we may have some French members here, and they are actually as welcome as the rest. Reading stuff like this, from the perspective of someone who is French might really be upsetting.

#22 ·
I think your blue is gorgeous, I wouldn't let anyone make you feel any less just because she doesn't reach their standards. But just like how not all GSDs are the same, the same goes for French people and I agree with the last poster that bashing them as a whole could be perceived as offensive to anyone on this site that is from or lives in France.

However, I do think the members of that forum are being way too harsh. There's a difference between stating your opinion on the breed standards and telling you to be ashamed of your pup. That's definitely not right !

If it makes you feel any better, they wouldn't like my pup either- my girl's parents are both oversized (about 105-110 lbs) so obviously she's going to be huge as well, which I know is frowned upon by a lot of people. It was never our intention to find an oversized GSD, but when my friend's dogs had pups we just couldn't resist !

Anyway, moral of my post, don't let them make you feel inferior. Your dog is beautiful and nobody should ever make you feel ashamed because they don't "meet their standards". :)

#23 ·
People with an attitude who think its okay to insult someone's dog because of a color fault are really lucky other faults don't show up in pictures. (temperament, health etc.) They might find their dogs being victims of the same kind of garbage they dish out.
Don't let them get the best of you.:)

#24 ·
Some boards are just rude. I visited one that was like an exercise in cannibalism...everyone was eating each other alive. I agree this is the best of all the boards I've been to.

And your pups are gorgeous. Anyone who says otherwise is a mean spirited fool.

Jelpy

#27 ·
Wow, some people got tres angry on that thread, there were a LOT of !!!!!!!'s. I'm going to remember the Calmez-vous, though, I should get a lot of use out of that! I only made it through 4 pages, and my skin wouldn't be thick enough for that forum, but I'm glad you found this one instead. And, I think your dogs are gorgeous!

#29 ·
I seem to be attracted to breed outside of standard ? White Boxers and OS GSD's? :) The Boxer I knew my GSD I saw a two breed standard dogs and though they were off??? Came here and oh...once again I'm the odd duck out! :)

I'm sure there are "civil" GSD boards in France you would just have to find them!

Thing I like about this board, unlike the Boxer board is that while folks have difference of opinions on how to train a dog. E collars and prongs are options open to discussion. Being a leader to puppyyour dog actually means something! And saying "Dog Parks" can be a problem is not viewed as some kind of radical left wing concept!

Someone over there things her badly behaved out of control puppy is an "Aggressive dog!" I love Boxers but I need a break from soft and goofy! So I spend most of my time here! :)

Your dogs are beautiful sorry you got so much flack.

#30 ·
Thank you very much for all of your support :wub:

Of course, I'm not here to bash french in general. If i wanted to bash a french person, i'd go and stand in front of the mirror since i'm born and raised here :)

Yup i'm french but having said that, I condemn strongly this arrogant attitude that we came across on the french board and to me it was important to show the difference of tolerance between cultures regarding dogs and their standards. French are extremely strict about that, more than anyone else, even on their forum..

All we wanted was to share pictures of our babies with GSD lovers, without talking about standards, like we did here. And we made it clear on our posts on the french forum from the start that we were not here for that, not here to make any arguments, just here to share pictures. That wasn't even accepted. The response towards us were very aggressive (indeed loads of CAPITAL LETTERS and !!!! lol) and i'm even more shocked that they blocked the whole post just because Enakai doesn't fit the standard :eek:

And by the way, the person who said Enakai was ugly was one of the moderator so it goes to show the atmosphere on this forum..

And that's without mentioning how much they made fun of us when we went on their chat: calling us a massive thunderstorm over the french board because of Enakai and the way she looks :confused:

I mean i looked at other french gsd forums and it seems that if your dog doesn't fit the standards, you are not welcomed and almost get banned from the forum.

A forum called GSD is, so I thought, for people to share about their GSD, regardless if they meet the standards or no. Also asking us to put Enakai's documents online i don't think this is right. It's like asking someone to show their ID card in order to post on any forum.

Now as for the breeders who breed towards certain colors, i can't say much about it. I know my breeder said she wasn't breeding specifically towards this color (i think it was the 1st time she had blue and since then she only had "standard" colored pups). On the french forum, they were not saying blue can't reproduce but that they should never be allowed to reproduce since it's a wild breeding. We met an ex-police dog trainer who told us they used to kill all white and blue pups. And reading negative and aggressive comments about Enakai, i understand how this is possible :(
All I can say is Enakai is healthy and has a great temperament, that's really what we were looking for and so far we're happy and love her too bits and so do we love all the GSDs :wub:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.