Did I do a bad thing? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Did I do a bad thing?

This morning I was very reluctant to waking up, and although it was just 10 AM - I have just previously fallen asleep not even an hour ago. Let's just say being sick sucks. So as much as I didn't want to leave my bedsheets, something in my Spirit was just bugging me to get up. So I did.

Our goal destination for today's walking journey was to the bank so that my roommate could cash his check. The area I live in isn't the greatest in the world, and it has it's own reputation for violence of all sorts, so whenever we leave the house I'm always prepared to defend us in any situation. However I was not prepared for what I was about to deal with...

Upon crossing the street, there's this hedge that naturally covers half of the sidewalk, so you usually can't see what was on the other side until you've passed the bush. Not even three or four steps later we all hear screaming, "Get off me! Let me go! Stop! That hurts! You're hurting me!"
"Oh you think that hurts?! Just wait until we get home!"

A woman in her late 50's, had no shoes on - most likely in her lounging clothes - being forcefully punched, slapped, grabbed, and dragged across the street by her so called shirtless and doped up 'husband'. He was taunting and pinning her down, defiling her, degrading her, spitting upon her very existence in public as if it's nothing for him to be ashamed of. And as she continued to cower down using her own body weight as an anchor while using her hands as a shield above her head...my blood just boiled.

My boy Bane was on my left with his leash in hand, and with every ounce of power I thought I had within me I just screamed "GET AWAY FROM HER" at the very top of my lungs. I knew it was none of my business, and I knew exactly the consequences of my actions prior to stepping in...but people were just walking by. Ignoring her, not him, but HER. As if she was a piece of garbage just because she looked just as dirty as he did.

I couldn't help it, but my reactions were not met with compliance. So as the shock of someone speaking to a shirtless man dragging an elderly woman around, he instantly puffed out his chest and yelled back if I 'wanted some too.' It wasn't even 5 seconds before he was millimeters from my nose but my eyes never lowered, stuttered, or broke contact. It was dead straight, but my stomach was filled with fear.

Bane picked up on my energy and began to barricade his body between the dope fiend and his wife and I. She had the facial expression of being rescued by angels, but as I demanded he seize putting his hands on her, I will not leave her side nor resist defending her until she is in a safe position. My roommate was already on the phone with the police as this all began, and instantly as this ridiculous piece of crap grasped the severity of our seriousness, he started to use his wife as a human shield.

It just took one scream of fear and pain for me to release Bane and deploy him to protect her. She was sitting there terrified, too chronically panicked to ask for help but I could not ignore the stench of abuse on her aura any longer. Her husband grabbed a stick and tried to raise it to us, so Bane reared up and targeted his hand to disarm him. As I called him back I used myself as a block between them until the police arrived.

After (3) Police Units and 45 minutes of taunting us with verbal and physical threats, (he actually went back inside, put on some dollar store boxing gloves, and tried to get his neighbors involved...) it wasn't long until everything was neutralized and we were on our way after giving our witness reports.

My question is...was I wrong? I'm a 24 year old female, and I wasn't prepared to fight. But was I wrong for helping her? For asking Bane to do what he did in order to keep an abuser at bay? The entire time I was thinking about the consequences and if they outweighed the possible misfortunes that may be inflicted upon me. I'm still having a hard time coming down from it, because I worry that if my dog saw this violence coming from me, would that contribute to him also having the potential of being a 'bad dog' and repeat my actions?

Any honest replies and advice would be appreciated. I'm feeling kind of down.

If it matters, I have PTSD from seeing my Mother being beaten by my Step Father for 9 years. So that's why I truly interfered, seeing it all just triggered me and I admit, I lost control.
iiRavenii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think you are a HERO. 'nuff said.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

It took a lot of courage to do what you did and I for one applaud you. If more people were like you then this world would be much better for it. I was raised and am raising my boys with the belief that no matter what a man never strikes a woman. But don't worry He'll eventually gets his. Karma is a b..
lennyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm with Jax personally. I applaud you for standing up for that woman and am appalled that people could simply stand back and do nothing. I could not stand there myself. I don't know if I would engage the man, but I would have been instantly on the phone with the police. That man had no right and I hope he gets his personally. That woman I have no doubt feels you were a hero.
Colie CVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 10:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think you judged the situation and acted the way you felt was appropriate. We weren't there, so we really cannot validate it for you. From what you said, that is, from your perspective, it sounds like you did the right thing. And I hope that I would do something if I see something like that happening.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Uh that's not losing control! That's stepping up! You should be very proud of both yourself and Bane!! My guy also stepped up but he was only protecting me from a dog.Your guy was protecting you someone else and stopping an assault!!!

Holy crap! You can't do better than that!! Was it foolish, well yeah! Your a hero and that's kinda what heroes do!!

I also had PTSD, it's not something to fool around with, take car of yourself!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

You not only rescued the woman out in public today, you went back and rescued that kid who watched her mother being beaten. Both acts required great courage. You are one incredible woman!! Rest easy. You have a loyal dog.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I applaud both you and your dog. You did a good thing .
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 10:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

What you did was very brave. Not many people step outside themselves for the sake of others'. Thank you for being courageous and thinking of another before yourself. Bane and you did a wonderful thing.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well done! I think if you had NOT done anything at all, you would be more disappointed.
Tratkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.