RE: My GSD HATES coolers, shovels, brooms, swiffers, and mops - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2014, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default RE: My GSD HATES coolers, shovels, brooms, swiffers, and mops

So, i have a 17 week old Male unneutered GSD that for some odd reason HATES coolers, shovels, brooms, swiffers, and mops. He will approach the items and jump back and start barking at them. Now he was never hurt or attacked by any of these things, is there any reason why he would be acting like this ?
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2014, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

LOL They grow out of it. It's new, it's moving and it's making noise.

Mine, at 8 months, is now starting to ignore the vacuum. I had to crate him to do my floors. I would never get anything done if I didnt.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

They may be a weird shape to him, make odd noises or smell odd. There are a number of things that could make them upsetting to a dog that has little experience with them. For odd items that I want to get my dog used to, I play the "touch the thing" game. I teach him a touch command (to touch something with his nose or paw when I tell him touch) and then he gets cues to touch the (insert: shovel, cooler, broom, etc.).

Especially for a puppy, building confidence to experience and habituate to new things is important to socialization and getting them in the habit of approaching new things makes each successive one easier. If you play the game with him, you'll notice after a few objects that he is more confident and excited to explore new things because they make positive stuff happen (a treat or a game).
Pax8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2014, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

You can HOPE he grows out of it, LOL! Common behaviour for a lot of dogs. My 10 year old still won't let me shovel snow. She is determined on killing the shovel and actually will wrestle it out of my hands and take off with it.

I'm still not decided if it's cute or annoying.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2014, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax8 View Post
They may be a weird shape to him, make odd noises or smell odd. There are a number of things that could make them upsetting to a dog that has little experience with them. For odd items that I want to get my dog used to, I play the "touch the thing" game. I teach him a touch command (to touch something with his nose or paw when I tell him touch) and then he gets cues to touch the (insert: shovel, cooler, broom, etc.).

Especially for a puppy, building confidence to experience and habituate to new things is important to socialization and getting them in the habit of approaching new things makes each successive one easier. If you play the game with him, you'll notice after a few objects that he is more confident and excited to explore new things because they make positive stuff happen (a treat or a game).

That sounds like a good idea, im going to give this a shot. He already knows paw and high five along with a ton of other commands so "touch" shouldnt be all that difficult.

Thank you very much for this idea.

Jax08, we crate him whenever we have to clean the house too. If we didnt he would just follow us around barking lol.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My six month old could care less about the vacuum. A rake, however.... all rakes everywhere should sleep with one eye open. For her it's a play behavior. It looks different, it moves if she or I interact with it, it makes noise when it hits the ground.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2014, 06:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

my dog freaked out at a rake this spring, Ive never heard that fast,aggressive bark from her before. Thinking back I threw a pile of leaves at her with it last fall.
volcano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2014, 07:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hahahaha! Yes! Mine too HATES rakes, mops, brooms, pretty much anything with a handle. If he sees it in my hand, he starts whining, immediately runs over and tries to take it away from me and break it. If it is just sitting there, he could care less. He also has an ongoing feud with the vacuum. It rains treats whenever I vacuum, so at least now he lets me do it, but he is always right in front of it, ready, should it attack. : )
ChetsDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2014, 08:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
You can HOPE he grows out of it, LOL! Common behaviour for a lot of dogs. My 10 year old still won't let me shovel snow. She is determined on killing the shovel and actually will wrestle it out of my hands and take off with it.

I'm still not decided if it's cute or annoying.
Our male does the same with our snow shovel, thought maybe it had to do with the sound of it scraping on the cement.

One of our females likes to attack the snow coming from the snow blower. Our other female likes to lay in the middle of the carpet you are vacuuming. You can vacuum completely around her, then you have to tell her to move in order to finish, she usually move just enough and that's it.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2014, 09:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Eko hates the broom, he backs up when I push it out but when I pull it back he grabs it, growls, and tries to take it out of my hands. Same with the vacuum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.