Heard in the store... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2014, 02:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Heard in the store...

So two people yesterday were adopting 3 month old GSD mix puppies from the adoption center in the store. Both were buying $100-150 worth of starting supplies. But they had very different comments after seeing their totals.

Adopter 1: "Oh good, I still have enough to sign up for the training class this week."

Adopter 2: "Jeez, I hope it doesn't pee on my carpet. Do you know how to get it to stop chewing things? And to walk on a leash?"
Me: "Well, you could take it to a training class to teach it basic manners."
Adopter 2: "I really don't have time for that. Is there a zappy collar I can put on it to make it stop without getting up?"

There are two types of people...
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2014, 02:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

In 6 months or less, Adopter 2 will likely return that pup for peeing in the house, pulling on the leash, and chewing on shoes.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2014, 02:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I'd like to say it's fun having an adoption center where I work, but the reality is I see a massive amount of puppies returned to the shelter for basic things like potty training issues, barking, chewing, and pulling on the leash. One woman returned a puppy that she said kept biting her child. It was biting because her child kept hitting it in the face and she thought the puppy should just be fine with that.

As much as I want the dogs and cats to find a home, I have to admit, I've openly discouraged some people that made it obvious they were making an impulse decision.

One woman wanted an 8 week old black lab puppy, then proceeded to ask me how she could take care of it in a way where she would never have to take it on walks, it wouldn't shed any hair on her pure white carpet and couches, it would never touch any of her things, and she would never have to deal with any potty accidents. I told her to leave and get a pet rock. I hear granite has quite the personality.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wow. I feel sorry for the pups.

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC (1/03)
UAG1,UNC1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V. TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH (6/07)
UAG1,URO1 Tidmore's Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,RN,HT,CGC, (4/12)

Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 09:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Why aren't the adopters screened better? They should have a 4 or 6 week mandatory class included in the adoption fee(to train the owners!)
Setting the pups up to fail from the get go is sad. Rescue or 'adoption center' should be more responsible in placements. Though I know people will just go to CL or elsewhere if they are set on getting a pup.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Ugh, that would drive me crazy and depress me. So many dogs in shelters for those silly reasons that you just have to put a little effort into.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Why aren't the adopters screened better? They should have a 4 or 6 week mandatory class included in the adoption fee(to train the owners!)
Setting the pups up to fail from the get go is sad. Rescue or 'adoption center' should be more responsible in placements. Though I know people will just go to CL or elsewhere if they are set on getting a pup.
The group renting the space is the city animal shelter. So there's really not much screening process beyond can they afford the fee. It's not the best either way. I know some people are adopting dogs they shouldn't be getting, but the city shelter is also a fairly high-kill one.

Ugh, and the city is even planning on making huge cutbacks in the shelter's budget.

Glad I'm moving to another store...
Old 05-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Why aren't the adopters screened better?
Jane, among some high-kill public shelters, there is movement starting toward "open adoption" policies. I loathe it and fight hard against it locally, but it's the trend. Expect to see more and more about it--it's spreading through "consultants.".

As far as I can tell, it's advocated for by certain no-kill advocates who "consult" with shelter management on how to reduce euthanasia rates. The dogs are just numbers to move, not individuals with needs and personalities to be matched with homes and people.

Breed seems to be irrelevant in that world view (GSDs, Mals, Pitts, Rotts, Dobies, and Mastiffs get no more screening than Pugs) -- indeed, if you claim homes should be more carefully screened for "powerful" breeds, you will likely be labeled a "breedist." (These people apparently mean this to be an insult. They don't realize how moronic it sounds when said to a BREED rescuer....)

Here's what I think is really going on: I think some shelters in dire circumstances have simply given up on even trying to screen because they don't have the resources. The "open adoption" philosophy is wrapped up in a no-kill rhetoric and reducing euthanasia rates, so it sounds warm and fuzzy. It lets the shelter claim that it's "doing something" to improve the euthanasia rate, without taking responsibility for how badly things may turn out for some of the dogs. In my opinion, it's a convenient post-hoc justification for an already-existing failure to dedicate resources to thoughtful adoption screening and matches in these underfunded public shelters.

It gets worse. One of these "consultants" wanted to get private rescues (including breed rescues) to commit to an "open adoptions" program, including mass adoption events in parking lots where anyone who wants a dog can walk up and pay $12 and leave with a dog, with little paperwork or screening (and absolutely no home check or vet reference check). The idea is if rescues are churning dog adoptions (and flipping dogs quickly), they'll pull more dogs from the public shelter, driving down euthanasia rates. Remember, the dogs are just numbers to move.

Advocates of this philosophy claim that their random-chance adoptions produce no worse results than the careful screening typically done by breed rescues. I don't buy it, but I'm not going to put dogs at risk to test it out.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

they may as well just sell them in bunches to research facilities.....no kill can mean that as well
Old 05-27-2014, 06:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax8 View Post
So two people yesterday were adopting 3 month old GSD mix puppies from the adoption center in the store. Both were buying $100-150 worth of starting supplies. But they had very different comments after seeing their totals.

Adopter 1: "Oh good, I still have enough to sign up for the training class this week."

Adopter 2: "Jeez, I hope it doesn't pee on my carpet. Do you know how to get it to stop chewing things? And to walk on a leash?"
Me: "Well, you could take it to a training class to teach it basic manners."
Adopter 2: "I really don't have time for that. Is there a zappy collar I can put on it to make it stop without getting up?"

There are two types of people...
I would have told them if they don't have time for basic puppy training, then maybe a dog is the wrong thing to get. Then walk them over to the gold fish tank and hand them some gold fish and some supplies. Then tell them "There, this won't involve training, peeing or chewing things up."
jafo220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.