German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Stories (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/)
-   -   Dog park rant (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/449850-dog-park-rant.html)

Melissa98409 05-13-2014 06:41 PM

Dog park rant

I adopted Jericho when he was 3 months old and he was emaciated, sick and a total mess (I've told his story before). We've worked hard to get him to where he is now. He's 13 months old, 70 pounds, and 28 inches tall. He's totally normal and healthy.

There was a woman with a GSD at the dog park this weekend who is the same age as Jericho, but was a show line GSD (as far as I could tell) who is clearly more familiar with the couch than the dog park or any other form of exercise. What she said about Jericho just worked my last nerve.

This woman had the nerve to say that Jericho looked like he was unhealthy and needed to put on some weight and whispered to her friend that he must be sick. Now, I am a classy person, and instead of saying "Oh ya, well at least my dog isn't huffing and puffing while he's running circles around your fatty, fatty, 2x4 dog". I took the opportunity to say that GSD's, like people, come in all shapes and sizes and each one has their own body type. Jericho is health and active. Just like a normal 13 month old should be.

Oh and...my GSD is prettier than your GSD. ha ha ha, just kidding. I didn't say that. They are all beautiful in my eyes. But errr! People kill me.

scarfish 05-13-2014 07:01 PM

ignorant people are annoying. last time at the vet's office some ignorant lady with a cat in the waiting room looked at our year old female that's on the small side at 60lbs said, "oh my god, your dog is so skinny". it was kinda rude the way she said it. she's a working line and not very tall. while seeing the vet, he said for her size, she's a lot more of a healthy weight than the average dog he sees. we wanted to let the lady know what he said while we were on our way out but she wasn't in the waiting room anymore.

julie our OMG so skinny dog is on the left.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...ps6c945b10.jpg

Gretchen 05-13-2014 07:06 PM

I would be angry too, and I know I shouldn't let it bother me, but I'm still working on that. I used to feel like I had to respond to people when they made comments like that, but now I don't say anything and it freaks them out, they are expecting a response. People have been rude for thousands of years and it appears this won't be changing any time soon.

SuperG 05-13-2014 07:15 PM

"fatty, fatty, 2x4 dog"

Okay...that brought me back a few years and made me laugh....thanks.

I'd be a liar to say that dog snobs don't get my dander up at times as well.....

I do know how I communicate with other people with dogs and I am much the same as you...they're all good looking and worthy ( mostly )....it's just some owners are really hung up on themselves about their dogs....they somewhat convince themselves they are "better" because of the aesthetics or conformation of their dog....and are quick to critique other dogs even in earshot of the owners.....anyway...ego can get the better of all of us....one way or another at times.

I certainly do appreciate and enjoy seeing a wonderful specimen of most all breeds, they are beautiful creatures. However, I have found a well trained dog to be more worthy than a "show dog" exemplifying the breed standard....of course a dog having both qualities is crazy nice. this is all my personal preference. The owners of well trained obedient dogs seem to have a different air about them....or so it seems per my conversations with them over the years at the dog park....not so quick to do the, on the spot critic about your dog's appearance in a negative fashion..etc.

Anyway, people are people ..and we are used to all types....but dogs are great and even though there some less than desirable ones out there....there is a higher percentage of good dogs than good humans. So, in one ear and out the other when it comes to "dog snobs"....tis what your dog does.

SuperG

Melissa98409 05-13-2014 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarfish (Post 5514202)
ignorant people are annoying. last time at the vet's office some ignorant lady with a cat in the waiting room looked at our year old female that's on the small side at 60lbs said, "oh my god, your dog is so skinny". it was kinda rude the way she said it. she's a working line and not very tall. while seeing the vet, he said for her size, she's a lot more of a healthy weight than the average dog he sees. we wanted to let the lady know what he said while we were on our way out but she wasn't in the waiting room anymore.

julie our OMG so skinny dog is on the left.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...ps6c945b10.jpg

No kidding! I would have asked the doc for that in writing so I could hand it to the know it all in the lobby. LOL
Your Julie looks just like Jericho (body wise). I understand that the WL GSD's are not as common, or people don't have their image in their heads when they think of a GSD, but still...ask questions...knowledge is power. LOL

Melissa98409 05-13-2014 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperG (Post 5514322)
"fatty, fatty, 2x4 dog"

Okay...that brought me back a few years and made me laugh....thanks.

I'd be a liar to say that dog snobs don't get my dander up at times as well.....

I do know how I communicate with other people with dogs and I am much the same as you...they're all good looking and worthy ( mostly )....it's just some owners are really hung up on themselves about their dogs....they somewhat convince themselves they are "better" because of the aesthetics or conformation of their dog....and are quick to critique other dogs even in earshot of the owners.....anyway...ego can get the better of all of us....one way or another at times.

I certainly do appreciate and enjoy seeing a wonderful specimen of most all breeds, they are beautiful creatures. However, I have found a well trained dog to be more worthy than a "show dog" exemplifying the breed standard....of course a dog having both qualities is crazy nice. this is all my personal preference. The owners of well trained obedient dogs seem to have a different air about them....or so it seems per my conversations with them over the years at the dog park....not so quick to do the, on the spot critic about your dog's appearance in a negative fashion..etc.

Anyway, people are people ..and we are used to all types....but dogs are great and even though there some less than desirable ones out there....there is a higher percentage of good dogs than good humans. So, in one ear and out the other when it comes to "dog snobs"....tis what your dog does.

SuperG

Dog snob....yes...that's a perfect description.

K9POPPY 05-13-2014 08:29 PM

There are a lot of fools in this world- let that roll away- you know your dog, and your dog is probably far better off than hers in many ways. Just love your dog and you'll be a happy person. Bob

nezzz 05-13-2014 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa98409 (Post 5514082)
I adopted Jericho when he was 3 months old and he was emaciated, sick and a total mess (I've told his story before). We've worked hard to get him to where he is now. He's 13 months old, 70 pounds, and 28 inches tall. He's totally normal and healthy.

There was a woman with a GSD at the dog park this weekend who is the same age as Jericho, but was a show line GSD (as far as I could tell) who is clearly more familiar with the couch than the dog park or any other form of exercise. What she said about Jericho just worked my last nerve.

This woman had the nerve to say that Jericho looked like he was unhealthy and needed to put on some weight and whispered to her friend that he must be sick. Now, I am a classy person, and instead of saying "Oh ya, well at least my dog isn't huffing and puffing while he's running circles around your fatty, fatty, 2x4 dog". I took the opportunity to say that GSD's, like people, come in all shapes and sizes and each one has their own body type. Jericho is health and active. Just like a normal 13 month old should be.

Oh and...my GSD is prettier than your GSD. ha ha ha, just kidding. I didn't say that. They are all beautiful in my eyes. But errr! People kill me.

Is your dog a sable? As far as I know the white undercoat of the dog can accentuate the contours of the dog and with working line dogs being so streamlined, you can sometimes see the shadows of ribs underneath and when people see ribs they think African kids and thin.

That said, I think she is just ignorant. But that whispering to a friend would really tick me off.

llombardo 05-14-2014 01:16 AM

My male was to heavy for my liking and I put him on a diet, what a difference when he runs. If that owner could see the difference in their dog at a lower weight they would have a different opinion.

misslesleedavis1 05-14-2014 08:40 AM

I recently went to a dog park, it was an open area and you could walk thru the dog park to the forests, I did not have my dog lol but it was the closest entrance to the actual forest part from the direction we were in. I was almost taken out by what looked to ba a cane corso, she was wearing her uber sexy pink collar and she threw herself on her back and was the friendliest thing ever. Strolling uo behind her though was a great big mastiff mix? I say mix because he had the body of a mastiff and the head of a A bulldog, with his balls dragging behind him. I always thought to be in the park dogs must be fixed.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App