Allie, the most annoying dog in the world. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2014, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Allie, the most annoying dog in the world.

I have a female GSD named Allie. She is small framed, big eared and in possession of a truly powerful canine mind. Intuitive and outgoing with a sparkling friendly nature, she is a joy to behold. She snuggles as though medals were being given out for the most snuggly of the snugglers. She does not bark much and isn't mouthy at all unless I provoke a wrestling match. In short she is an ideal companion.

Then I leave home. Her keen mind loses focus on her human and lasers in on creative ways to destroy my house. De-laminated doors, extension cords, cutlery, shoes, anything leather...etc. She has discovered that her massively overpowered rear legs can propel her to the top of the refrigerator. The kitchen counter has paw prints all over it. Toilet back cover is shattered. Wall phone is in many hundreds of pieces in the backyard. Two tablets(iPad and Nook) have fallen to the maw that is her mouth.

Some might say separation anxiety, but I say it's just a bored dog. My work shift is 12 hours, so there is plenty of time for her to get bored. I cannot crate her as 12 hours is just too long. I had similar issues with Banjo, once his puppy brain morphed into adult brain his chewing ways subsided(excpet socks and underwear, he loved to chew those up his whole life).

I'm currently re-inventing my housing structure. Essentially I rented a U-Haul trailer and tossing anything in it that I don't absolutely have to have. Spartan would be a good descriptor of what I envision as the final product. Wooden furniture, no more leather, no cords exposed and a total surfeit of knick-knacks. Easier to clean as well I imagine. My living room is now just the dog's couch, two dog beds and my computer table. I don't have cable or watch TV so the 55" went into the guest room. Now my home theater room is now a glorified listening room(speakers are suspended from the ceiling, so no cords laying about). I figure giving her no options for malevolent chewing will end her ways. The things we do for the dogs eh?
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds familiar. I had a female Great Dane who happily trashed my home daily for a full 18 months. I keep a list of things she destroyed or ate as it fascinates people. I sympathize, I really do.
Have you tried treat balls, or frozen stuffed kongs? It might help.
Sabis mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's just too funny(I am sure it isn't too funny to you, though), but I laughed out loud when I read the list- especially the top of the refrig.- I guess we've all had some similar problems, but my question is: bet you wouldn't trade her for all the tea in China??? Best wishes, hope you really enjoy her! Bob
K9POPPY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

How about crating and hire a dog walker? Or an outdoor run?
Bob_McBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_McBob View Post
How about crating and hire a dog walker? Or an outdoor run?
Thought about the outdoor run. Something about it just feels wrong, dunno what but it sets me on edge. The dogs have a doggie door and my house is climate controlled, I think that might be my hang-up. I want them as comfy as possible. Their "run" is 3/4ers of an acre fenced in but their water and bedding is inside.

Dog walker? No. I live in the sticks, in fact I live in a national forest. When I must be away for days I pay someone to come stay at the house, usually a very close friend or my niece.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ya know, you go to all that trouble to dog proof the climate controlled house, give them a doggie door and a nice yard, and you get paid back with epic destruction! How old is she? Do you think she'll grow out of also? Sounds like it's a good thing she's so snuggly, but I definitely think she's playing you with that!
kjdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdreyer View Post
Ya know, you go to all that trouble to dog proof the climate controlled house, give them a doggie door and a nice yard, and you get paid back with epic destruction! How old is she? Do you think she'll grow out of also? Sounds like it's a good thing she's so snuggly, but I definitely think she's playing you with that!
Year and a quarter. She is still very very much puppy.

Oh she plays me, I'm okay with that. Material things are simply that, something that can be replaced. Dogs are unique and special, Allie just a bit more so in some ways. I like a complex and challenging dog and she fits that bill. She will grow out of most of the chewy destructive behavior I'm sure.

When I fall asleep bracketed by two bonded GSDs, both on their backs snoring I forget the destruction and fall asleep and sleep the sleep of the innocent. They are worth the trouble, heartache and messiness.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Agree 100%!
kjdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

Wow, your girl is impressive! I hope mine doesn't grow up to be that resourceful and athletic.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Welllll I know you say no crate, but I still think it would be fine for you. I too work long hours and Titan used to be crated for 10-12 hours sometimes. If I could get home and let him out I would, but if not, he stayed in there. Better for her and you that she doesn't continue to eat random things and destroy potential hazardous things.

If you are stil a hands down, no on the crate. I would consider one of those large, covered outdoor kennel runs. They are awesome. You can get large fans to run for them to keep them cool and put their beds out there to keep the comfy. They make covered ones and all kinds of types of gates to use as the kennel part. That or gate off an area of the house where she doesn't have access to random things. When I migrated to no crate with Titan we gated off the hallway with doors shut. He literally had nothing but he crate to lay in and a chew or 2 to keep himself occupied.

Good luck!!!! I hope you can figure soemthing out!

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.