German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Stories (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/)
-   -   1st GSD? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/441337-1st-gsd.html)

Lobobear44 04-22-2014 01:25 AM

1st GSD?

When did you get your 1st Gsd? How long did you have since? I'm kind of anxious of when will I get mine. Not giving up hopes for this dream...

Sarah~ 04-22-2014 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lobobear44 (Post 5411817)
When did you get your 1st Gsd? How long did you have since? I'm kind of anxious of when will I get mine. Not giving up hopes for this dream...

I got mine when I was 23, I've had him for 2 years. I wouldn't stress over it that much right now it's not going to help you or the dog to get it at the wrong time and 18-mid twenties for me and most of the people I know my age has been hard just getting on my feet living on my own and I'm very busy with work and school. I'm lucky I've been able to make time for my dogs.

SummerGSDLover 04-22-2014 03:58 AM

Lobo,
I didn't get my first GSD until I was almost 27. Some people come out of high school and can make a lot of money, or live with their parents who pay for stuff and get their dog but I was a single mother at 16, got married at 20, had two more kids and hubs and I decided to wait until I was 25 to get a dog. We rescued an adult lab mix and she has been used to being the only dog here. I finally convinced my husband that we were ready for a puppy that I got to pick and that I wanted a GSD. Took one year and seven months to save up enough money for the puppy and first years expenses (and even that was gone within three months of getting him) and I didn't even go to a reputable breeder - probably why he's had so much vetting already.
I suggest you get out of high school, get a good job, then wait for two years til you've been settled somewhere for a while before even thinking of getting a GSD. They are a lifelong commitment and will be with you for a good 8-12 years, if not longer. Good things are worth waiting for! :) Did you ever get your dog you already own into training and a sport so that you could experience what it's like to have a hobby with your dog? Take care!

JakodaCD OA 04-22-2014 08:05 AM

I grew up with gsd's, my father had them as a child and when he was stationed in korea, which was many many years ago:)

The first one I had growing up at home was when I was around 8, have had atleast one or more in my life ever since, and lets just say I'm 50 something:)

jocoyn 04-22-2014 08:28 AM

I got mine when I was 29 and pregnant with my 2nd child. My parents had the wisdom of not letting me get a dog while I was in college and then I got out, got a job, got married....had a little Welsh Terrier but that was a bit of a mistake......As a stay at home mom I was in a good place to get a GSD by that time in my life.

LaRen616 04-22-2014 08:57 AM

I got mine when I was 21 and he was 11 weeks old.

He is now 5 years old. :wub:

Galathiel 04-22-2014 11:46 AM

I got my first GSD when I was 10 years old as a Christmas present. I was responsible for her feeding and training as well. At 10, I taught her all her basic obedience commands myself with no assistance from anyone. Very protective, great dog. Got my second dog when I was around 19? 20? (can't remember, was in college) after my first passed away. Another female, LC this time. She was very loving and devoted to her people. She loved my son when he was born and would babysit him when he played outside. In fact, we heard her barking viciously and found that she was keeping my son back while she kept a cottonmouth snake (venomous) cornered. Got all the rest of my GSDs (3) within the past 15 years. One I lost (my heart dog) to an accident, the next to old age/illness and the current pup is a year old.

DJEtzel 04-22-2014 12:08 PM

I got mine at 17 in high school with my boyfriend. We raised him together, though he was "his" dog- moved out a year later and fully supported him since. Now I am 21 and have a second shepherd - Patton. :)

Freestep 04-22-2014 12:29 PM

I got mine when I was 18 years old; I had just moved out of my parents house a few months prior and I was lusting after a GSD puppy in the worst way. I bought a pup from a BYB for $40, on a whim, she was barely 6 weeks old. I'm not gonna lie, she was a great dog, but having a dog made my life very difficult at times. I was really too young and not settled enough, didn't even have a job, I was in college. But I loved that dog and made her my #1 priority. Because of that, I had a hard time finding a place to rent and ended up homeless, living out of a van for about a year. I don't recommend this course of action.

This dog and I essentially grew up together; from me being a stupid homeless kid, to finally getting a job, buying a house, getting married, running a business. She outlasted my marriage and lived to be 16 years old, and helped raise several subsequent GSDs. I still miss her. <3

Espa 04-22-2014 12:44 PM

My foster family had a GSD so I guess I grew up with them. At age 16 I was on my own and had my own GSD, 9 dogs later I've never looked back.