German Shepherds Forum banner

Apaches dog park visit

2K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  volcano 
#1 ·
My town has a couple dog parks dedicated to working to working dogs from the police depts. So I asked for a dog park pass for Xmas, I got cash for one but decided to visit first.
It has a key card system and we just hung outside, when a lady came I asked if shed let me in to check it out before we pay the 50 bux. She said no, because the dogs all need shot verification. Im sorry but that pissed me off. Is she really dumb enough to think her dog is in some bubble and isnt exposed to stuff??? The diseases come from wild animals.

So I rubbed it in her face by letting my girl off leash and playing in the fields NEXT to the fenced in park. All the dogs were jealous and followed us around the circumfrence. I think Im gonna just break the law and use the dog park money to pay tickets when I get them.

#2 ·
Not to sound like I'm criticizing but I can't really see why she was so wrong. I wish the dog park here had someone on hand to verify shot records of the dogs that visit. I understand the diseases do come from wild animals but they also can come from unvaccinated pets and wouldn't you feel better knowing that your dog is a little safer because someone is checking the other dogs?

#3 ·
Sorry, but I wouldn't let you in to my park either. If I let a dog into my private dog park that people pay money for and have to sign liability waivers, what happens when someone lets a strange dog in that gets into a fight or something? Not to mention at my park I could lose my membership for letting in a strange dog.

#5 ·
They followed us at the fenceline the whole time, they were looking at my girl running fields and in the pond chasing orbees. The main attraction is offleash but she does that all the time anyways. Ill pay the ticket and write a story on here when we get busted. Putting a dog in a sit/stay while the ticket gets written does wonders towards a warning...

My girl isnt spreading lepto- can dogs even spread it to each other? Or kennel cough, shes a healthy adult. My breeders are anti vaccination, but I do a 3 way plus rabies.

#7 · (Edited)
because we drive like 40 minutes to go the the free park where theres nobody enforcing dumb rules. I understand the not letting in strange dogs, but Im reasonable enough that if someone asked nicely, explained its their first visit and wanted to check it out then id let them in ONCE. To say stupidity about shots is a sign of the times.
kids get shots to go to school 8 hours together in a small room- basically a germ breeding ground. To do this with a dog park is stupid.

#8 ·
You realize rabies is contagious and can be passed to humans right? You think people want to bring their kids in to that? That's why any dog park worth a darn actually enforces the shots requirement. You sound close minded.

If you wanted to leave your dog in the car and check out the park yourself I'm sure she would have no problem letting you in. You should be happy the park has people who enforce the rules. I'd rather a park be too strict then have a bunch of people who could care less.

#9 ·
I don't understand your stance on this TBH. A private dog park, asked you to provide proof of a legally required shot. What's the big deal???

If you were a member and someone let in a strange dog, "because they asked nice" and it attacked your dog, I bet you would be ticked if there was no proof of vaccination. Isn't that what you were paying for? A private off leash area that is well maintained with standards??

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#12 ·
It doesn't matter it's the law. Why put your dog through quarantine for all those days? Then have to pay for if too? If there is a fight and rabies certificate can't be shown then said dog is screwed .

#11 ·
Fights happen at dog parks. It is in everyone's best interest to make sure the dogs are protected and shots are on record in these situations. I've seen your dog, she is young and would approach other dogs, maybe even bark at them, the rules are there to protect both you and her if there is another dog that might not want any interaction. You don't want to put her at risk.

#14 ·
I got bitten by a stray dog in a third world country when I was younger. Of course they had no idea if the dog had rabies shot yet so I had to get shots for it. It wasn't just one shot. I swear it was 5 or 6 and the needles were huge. It was not fun. Bite also left a scar on my left forearm. I was scared of All dogs for years.

The reason you don't see a lot of rabies cases is because there is a concerted effort to vaccinate against it. Rabies shots for pets are law because rabies is dangerous. It's not a stomach virus or something not life threatening. It affects your nervous system. When a dog bites it gets quarantined because if it does have rabies, it would die during that period. Any virus that can kill a dog in less than 10 days is pretty serious. I don't blame any establishment that wants to check for vaccinations.

#16 ·
For the record, my dog has a 3way+ rabies. To join the park id need a lepto and a kennel cough shot which Im kinda planning since id need it to board.
Stupid question, but I'm not keen on nicknames... What is lepto?

#19 ·
:) :)

Oh boy- Volcano. I don't think you rubbed anything in her face. Your response to not getting your way after the rules were explained was over the top - kind of an odd reaction IMO. Guess your girl was along for the ride. I don't get the idea that the other dogs were jealous. You did bring attention to yourself however in the adjoining field.

So by breaking the law knowingly - what is your plan to do this?

Take a step back- this dog park is just not for you- no biggie. The members that pay have followed the rules and agree to them.

#21 ·
I work at a private park with the same rules. If that was our member and she let you in, we would ban both of you from the park. Just sayin'...

You're in the wrong here, period.

#22 · (Edited)
I really more than half expected to be denied. I guess it was the shots thing and the way she said it. Im not a believer in lepto or kennel cough shots, especially thinking that giving it to other dogs might create a herd immunity, its nonsense. And she said it as if they made alot of sense.
I didnt do anything wrong though, the park users use the outside field and pond as well from what I saw by the trail. So they cant be mad at me, but their dogs all wanted in the pond as well.

I looked at the other dog park, my city has 2 and charges for each? and its better, more agility equipment and its mulch instead of lawn. I think Ill use the gift for this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.