Probably did something that will backfire - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2014, 06:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Default Probably did something that will backfire

I finally told a neighbor I was going to spray her demon chihuahua with pepper spray under a specific condition.

A friend is giving me a used bike I can use for roadwork with Beau and I am going to get started soon as the walks are good for me but not much for him. But her little chi comes charging into the street after us every time I go by her house. I am not scared of the little rat (sorry my daughter has a chi I love), nor is Beau upset by it, but being on a bike is a little different. An honestly, it is getting bolder to where it is now inches from our feet (it comes from behind).

I had complained to the HOA as have others and our county does have a leash law. But yesterday as she was right by the road gardening and her dog came after me again (I had no Beau with me) and I was having to watch where I stepped to avoid kicking it..........I told her........very calmly and politely that I was going to start with a bike and was going to pepper spray her dog if it ran after me.

All she did to stop her dog was an ineffective "pookie come here..." and did not even get up to retrieve the dog. Grrrrrrr. I can't believe she even said "My kids come home from school before I do and I can't control that they let him out"...Uh the joys of good parenting. All I said was "My goal is to get my walking done before work" ........

She took great offense. Probably would not have said that had she not been right there allowing this to happen without even batting an eye.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 08:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Well, at least you warned her. I have only taken Tess with the bike a couple times, because I worried about that same problem. It could turn bad in a heartbeat. Have fun with the bike.
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 08:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think you made the right call, you put your neighbor on notice. I really hate it when small dogs get a pass because if their size. If it was a bigger dog charging at people it would not be tolerated. I would maybe try lemon juice first if you have to spray the chi, in case there would be any chance of blow back on Beau, or what about an airhorn?
Old 04-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I could try an airhorn. Noises don't bother Beau. Then a super soaker with vinegar water.
I really don't want her dog running into the other road (they live near the main road!) and causing a wreck.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

If it was me, (since you don't want to use my "go to" mace) I'd do what I've done with some small dogs, let it bite my normally baggy pants, then give it a swift kick, chances are it's small enough it won't even hurt for more than a day max, and it'll remember my boot in its face for longer.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thewretched is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If he is always or often doing this? I would suggest a water balloon. You don't need a high degree of accuracy.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
If he is always or often doing this? I would suggest a water balloon. You don't need a high degree of accuracy.
I like the water balloon idea for bicycles. You could carry a few in the basket. Chances are after a couple hits the little dog won't bother you anymore. If not, I vote for the pepper spray. They make small bottles about the size of a large lipstick that fit in holders fastened to your belt for the use of joggers. You might look into that, but watch for the wind to make sure you don't get the blow back.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Congratulations for saying that without showing emotion or getting angry. If you ever speak to the chi owner again, you could explain that you could get hurt by crashing on your bicycle if it got in your way, or the chi could get hurt or killed by car when it chases you. Its for everyone's safety that the chi is controlled.

You could also be more persistent with your HOA and see if they will step it up and fine the chi owner the next complaint they get. Money will get people to listen.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I dunno....it's hard to say if you make a bad call until after you try. You try to give folks the benefit of the doubt by explaining, warning or asking and they react badly, then it's a bad call. You took a chance of being fair to the lady and her dog and it didn't work out. It's been my experience, unfortunately, more often then not it doesn't work out. Usually having to correct a problem like that requires money or effort two things people often don't want to expend so they get bothered and offended. It's not the request it's just that they're lazy and inconsiderate.

I'd think up something that will give the little monster such an uncomfortable experience, without actually harming it, that it'll never mess with you again.'

As you mention, the air horn, but maybe wait til the little sucker is really close and then blast the airhorn so it's a one time and done deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I could try an airhorn. Noises don't bother Beau. Then a super soaker with vinegar water.
I really don't want her dog running into the other road (they live near the main road!) and causing a wreck.
Gwenhwyfair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Is there a reason you can't walk your bike til you're out of range and then hop on? That's what we do since there are a lot of fence-fighters in our neighborhood. Although if loose dogs were chasing us I would probably invest in pepper spray too.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.