What can I do about this small dog owner? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Sri
Master Member

Default What can I do about this small dog owner?

Yeserday I was driving down a road and see this young girl (high school) walking her GSD further ahead. A man with a small dog is walking towards her. She is walking on the right side of the road so the dog is on her left, and she pulls him in and holds him close. As i am driving down slowly, I watch him deliberately cross over passing very close to her, his tiny dog ahead of him lunging and snarling at the GSd, the GSD ofcourse lunged back and the poor girl had trouble getting him under control.

I am really really angry because I had the same encounter with this man a few days back. I was walking Frodo and I saw him approaching down my side, so I crossed over to the other side, and I was busy keeping Frodo engaged with me so didnt see him cross over to my side till he was about 50 feet away, his dog already barking and pulling, so I quickly cross to the other side and put Frodo in a sit and watch to let them pass by. But the guy crosses over again to my side and the dog is aggressively growling, running at my dog, came to 2 feet of us, and Frodo lunged, his hair standing up and I am sure he bared his teeth as well, but I got him under control and walked away fast as I could. At that time I thought it was a chance happening, but what I saw yesterday made me realize the man actually encourages this in his tiny dog.

What really concerned me is that the girl was small, and she might have gotten hurt.

And the man! Does he not care about his dog? IS he not afraid that his dog might be attacked back and killed, especially when its challenging a big dog? He doesnt bother to reel it in, he just follows happily when it is trying to attack another dog. Its very strange. I don't know where he lives or his name, but how can I complain about it? And its a chance happening when I run into him.

From his demeanor and expression, I doubt he will be polite if I try to talk to him about it. But next time I see him(and hopefully wont have my dog with me) I do have the intention of stopping and talking to him about it. What can I say to convince him to make his dog behave?
Sri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

When he approaches say "don't let your dog get close to mine, it's being aggresive" when he takes 2 more steps, you pull out a can of mace and get ready to spray it, when it takes another step, press the button. You might not like it, but that's how you handle passive aggressive inconsiderate people

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thewretched is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 08:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I agree with Thewretched, although it would be nice if you could get this fool to stop doing this to other people too - especially young girls that might not be up to the confrontational challenge. How involved do you want to get? Call AC, ask what they suggest? I'd be pushing this quite far, being a big meanie myself, lol. I'd also be inclined to carry a bullwhip, since one nice swoosh would likely take care of the threat - but is that legal?
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Sri
Master Member

yeah, i was furious enough to imagine using a pepper spray, but legality is what concerns me. I could call AC and see what they suggest I guess.

although giving him a fair warning to keep his dog away might be legal enough? Small dog vs big dog, the big one will always be blamed, doesn't matter what the circumstances.
Also, it may not stop him from doing this to others.

Last edited by Sri; 04-04-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'd be furious too, that's why I said I'd push this issue. I'd probably lie to the man and tell him he was being watched, and I'd video every encounter. I'd be a big bully, lol! But there's no excuse for his intimidating behavior, and his small dog will get hurt eventually if he keeps it up. What a jerk!
Old 04-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Everyone and their mace cans.

My dog is used to being barked at by little yippy pups at the kennel. He just learned to ignore it because when he's in working mode he knows through experience to stay on task. A little guy just won't be enough to get a rise out of him.

Now as for the owner. Not going to comment since my response is predicated on me being a 200 pound 6'1 male who is occasionally into confrontation.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Sri
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
Everyone and their mace cans.

My dog is used to being barked at by little yippy pups at the kennel. He just learned to ignore it because when he's in working mode he knows through experience to stay on task. A little guy just won't be enough to get a rise out of him.

Now as for the owner. Not going to comment since my response is predicated on me being a 200 pound 6'1 male who is occasionally into confrontation.

haha.

Yes, I am working on getting Frodo there. He is doing pretty well in class ignoring the couple of very reactive dogs, hopefully it will transfer to everyday life some day!

also, I must add, its not the dog. There are plenty of dogs around who are reactive/ aggressive, owners make sure to manage them to keep things safe for everyone. It is that particular guy who seems to seek a fight for his dog.

Last edited by Sri; 04-04-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hmm, I suppose my being "occasionally into confrontation" influences my thoughts too, lol. But it's really not fair for this guy to use his dog to provoke other dogs, and crossing streets to get to them is ridiculous.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

In your neighborhood? How often do you see him?

I am getting over pneumonia but should be up for walks middle/end of next week. If we see him I would have no problem talking to him with you.

The best thing to do if it is recurring is for someone to roll video then bring it to the PD in town and see what they say.

I carry pepper spray but really would only use it if there was a true threat. With the dog being a smaller breed , I think it would look bad to spray him to keep you GSD safe

Your life has to pretty much be in danger in this state for you to so much as push someone. The law is not on your side for self defense unless life and limb was at risk. One of my pet peeves with this place :/
ALL MY RESCUES!
Oisin's Aoire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Sri
Master Member

I agree about the place. I go to other states and I am surprised how friendly and courteous, even helpful people are. I think I have forgotten how to be a human being here.

Pneumonia sounds bad! Hope you recover soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.