German Shepherds are a lifetime commitment - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
d4lilbitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Southen MD, USA
Posts: 228
Default German Shepherds are a lifetime commitment

I just saw a post on Facebook that really annoyed me. While I commend the owner for reaching out to a breeder (not sure if it's their breeder) for help in placing him....I think the owners should have put more thought into getting this dog in the first place. I see to many times people buy dogs in the moment and for some reason, they have blinders on and don't understand the dog will not stay this small. They have a short term thought process with the pet. These dogs can live to 13+ years. When getting the dog, you need to consider all the possibilities that could happen. If you're planning on a family, you need to consider how will this dog fit in, when vacationing...what will we do with the dog, any health issues...what then? As a companion/sport home it aggravates me. Seeing stories like this gives off the wrong impression to good breeders (sometimes) in placing puppies/dogs in homes with families. In reading this, it sounds like the dog is to much for them to handle. I feel bad for the dog. His owners failed him. I understand why some breeders refuse to sell a puppy to families for reasons like this and it's not fair to the good/responsible owners.

" Tito is just over 2 yrs old. Neutered, house and kennel trained...and has never eaten a single shoe. Walks great on leash, loves to play fetch and tug of war. Knows basic commands: sit, stay, down, go lay down, kennel, etc.
We'd like him to have more room to play and run. We have a 1 yr old toddler and another on the way and are rapidly running out of room and time to devote to him. Tito needs a strong leader and is probably not the right dog for a first time German Shepherd owner. He has a strong drive and a great ability to learn."
__________________
Isen Vom Kavallerie - DDR/Czech GSD (pup in training)
Red - Rescue GSD (CGC)
Gypsy - Yellow Lab (CGC)
At the Bridge....Charlie - GSD (2014) and Shiloh - Lab (2010)
d4lilbitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
SunCzarina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 12,796
Default

probably didn't even bother to tell the breeder they were expecting the first baby. Good for the dog though, someone's going to get a nice young dog that someone else went through all the puppy insanity.

Me though, I had 2 GSDs when my oldest son was born. One was 5, the other 2, both of them high drive PITAs. The female had always been a little skitzy of children, until she had her own baby to watch over. It was like a switch in her head went off and she went from crazy chick to the zen dog meditating at the baby crib.

The male died when my twins were 7 months old, adult onset epilepsy, very tragic but we waited as a one dog family until 3 years later when we got Otto. LOL yeah, my kids are dog proof, my 9 year old was with me yesterday when we had to go into a house with a teenage rescued doberman. Hugo's a total mess but my son became his fast friend.
__________________
-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member
 
Mister C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 534
Default

I hear you and agree.

I have seen too many young couples get a puppy early on in the marriage. Then they have a baby shortly thereafter and the dog is pushed way to the side and ignored. It's like the puppy is a training aid for the baby to come and when the baby does arrive the training aid is tossed aside.

Dogs are indeed huge commitment and it irks me when people don't take that commitment seriously.
__________________
Linus van Pelt Haus Juris. My Sweet Babboo, born March 17, 2014.

Madeline Ronan Heart (Maddie) Dec 1997 -- November 22, 2013 Rescue GSD, Sable
Mister C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
TheModestMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Imperial Valley CA
Posts: 64
Default

Yeah, many people lack the forethought required when adopting/buying.

I have to be honest, I am somewhat guilty of this. I want a GSD so bad I don't think about the fact that I am going to college in August. However, when it all comes down to the decision, I know I can't have a pet for the next 5 years, at least. It drives me crazy, but it means that the dog and I end up with will have a stable home.
__________________
Thanks -Mouse
TheModestMouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
d4lilbitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Southen MD, USA
Posts: 228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunCzarina View Post
probably didn't even bother to tell the breeder they were expecting the first baby. Good for the dog though, someone's going to get a nice young dog that someone else went through all the puppy insanity.

Me though, I had 2 GSDs when my oldest son was born. One was 5, the other 2, both of them high drive PITAs. The female had always been a little skitzy of children, until she had her own baby to watch over. It was like a switch in her head went off and she went from crazy chick to the zen dog meditating at the baby crib.

The male died when my twins were 7 months old, adult onset epilepsy, very tragic but we waited as a one dog family until 3 years later when we got Otto. LOL yeah, my kids are dog proof, my 9 year old was with me yesterday when we had to go into a house with a teenage rescued doberman. Hugo's a total mess but my son became his fast friend.

I'm not sure. I would think looking at the timeline, the wife would have been pregnant when the pup first lived with them. That would be something I would question at least or make them aware of what goes into a dog so they at least know.

Dogs adapt can adapt really well to changes in their environment when handled properly. There are so many factors that play into it: Obedience, owner's behavior, exercise, schedule, etc. Your female is a perfect example it working. People expect the finished product from the beginning without understanding what EFFORT really goes into raising a dog. My son is the same way. From the beginning he was introduced to dogs. Learned how to approach one, when to leave it alone, things to look for in their behavior, etc. He's 8! He lets dogs come to him so as not to startle them. With Red, rescue male shepherd, he did so much with him to gain his trust....now they are inseperable : )

Sorry for your loss, its always so heartbreaking when we lose them. My son sounds a lot like your son wanting to help dogs : )
__________________
Isen Vom Kavallerie - DDR/Czech GSD (pup in training)
Red - Rescue GSD (CGC)
Gypsy - Yellow Lab (CGC)
At the Bridge....Charlie - GSD (2014) and Shiloh - Lab (2010)
d4lilbitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member
 
Springbrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 619
Default

I agree. However, It's not just GSD's...it's all pets. They are a life time commitment and everyone should think long and hard before they decide to become a pet person/family.
Springbrz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member
 
Susan_GSD_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 521
Default

Just as irritating as this young couple's lack of planning is another situation. So often you see GSDs (and other big potentially aggressive breeds) on rescue sites because their senior owners could no longer handle them.

I am 67, have always been a strong woman and all my life have had strong, aggressive dogs. BUT--I also know the day will come when I won't be able to manage a dog like either my driven Orick, or my DA Jade. And they are the smallest GSDs I've even had! But the reality will be there, and I am gradually adjusting to it. It's called forethought. The breeder of my first sable is advancing in age, and she still has some of her GSDs. However, she has made arrangements with a good friend, another breeder. If anything happens to Karen, her friend is to get her dogs even before her own family, because she trusts her friend to find the best situations for them.
Susan_GSD_mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
d4lilbitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Southen MD, USA
Posts: 228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister C View Post
I hear you and agree.

I have seen too many young couples get a puppy early on in the marriage. Then they have a baby shortly thereafter and the dog is pushed way to the side and ignored. It's like the puppy is a training aid for the baby to come and when the baby does arrive the training aid is tossed aside.

Dogs are indeed huge commitment and it irks me when people don't take that commitment seriously.
I have seen this to. Possibly "this" couple could have a dog successfully with two young children...just not a shepherd. In reading this, it sounds as if this was their first shepherd. They bit off more than they could chew. Had it of been another breed that's less demanding, the outcome MAY have been different. Who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheModestMouse View Post
Yeah, many people lack the forethought required when adopting/buying.

I have to be honest, I am somewhat guilty of this. I want a GSD so bad I don't think about the fact that I am going to college in August. However, when it all comes down to the decision, I know I can't have a pet for the next 5 years, at least. It drives me crazy, but it means that the dog and I end up with will have a stable home.
You are WRONG...you are planning ahead. Want is not being guilty of anything. I want lots of things, BUT I know my limits. So do you : ) You're thinking about the commitment and your current situation. You understand what is required and have made the decision to wait until the right time. That's more planning than many : ) Good job!
__________________
Isen Vom Kavallerie - DDR/Czech GSD (pup in training)
Red - Rescue GSD (CGC)
Gypsy - Yellow Lab (CGC)
At the Bridge....Charlie - GSD (2014) and Shiloh - Lab (2010)
d4lilbitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Peter.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West Bloomfield, MI
Posts: 116
Default

I really think that until you have a GSD, you have no idea. I know I didn't.

My GSD Rainer is about a year and a half old. I have a wife, and two young "human" boys ages 7 and 4. Before deciding on a GSD, we read lots of posts on here, talked to breeders, read breed specific articles and books and knew having a GSD would be a lot of work.

We were prepared to spend the money on whatever he would require, take him to obedience classes, and integrate him into our family. We didn't just decide to get a GSD, because they are so noble looking.. and yet, we were still not fully understanding.

Maybe it's not the case with all first time GSD owners, but despite our best efforts, there have been some really trying times.

Yes, despite our attempts to redirect to chewing toys, or other methods, our pup would still play bite our children and bring my wife to near tears, but we've worked through it.

Yes, though we've worked with him on relaxing when strangers, to him, are in the house, he has some issues with wanting to take matters into his own hands.

And even now, he's decided he doesn't much care for passing cars, and he wants to destroy certain ones, I've come up with a plan, with my trainer, to work on this issue.

There have definitely been times where I thought, though I love him, I wish we would have gotten a lap dog.. Life would have been so much easier. Now, it seems he's in his teenager phase, and testing his boundaries, which is a whole new level of enjoyment

We just can't picture our family without him, so.. we keep at it. We keep working with him. He's smart as all get out, We just have to learn how to communicate to him that certain behaviors are inappropriate. We have to help him grow to be the best dog he can be.

But yeah, in my opinion, you really don't know until you've experienced it yourself.
Peter. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
d4lilbitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Southen MD, USA
Posts: 228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbrz View Post
I agree. However, It's not just GSD's...it's all pets.
Yes it is : (

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan_GSD_mom View Post
Just as irritating as this young couple's lack of planning is another situation. So often you see GSDs (and other big potentially aggressive breeds) on rescue sites because their senior owners could no longer handle them.

I am 67, have always been a strong woman and all my life have had strong, aggressive dogs. BUT--I also know the day will come when I won't be able to manage a dog like either my driven Orick, or my DA Jade. And they are the smallest GSDs I've even had! But the reality will be there, and I am gradually adjusting to it. It's called forethought. The breeder of my first sable is advancing in age, and she still has some of her GSDs. However, she has made arrangements with a good friend, another breeder. If anything happens to Karen, her friend is to get her dogs even before her own family, because she trusts her friend to find the best situations for them.

I didn't really think of that...very good point. That is actually how we came to adopt our Charlie. She was EXTREMELY well cared for. She was with two other dogs. A veteran had them since they were puppies. He used to walk all three because his yard wasn't fenced in. He ended up having really bad back problems and had to get rid of them. I felt so bad all of them. Charlie was 9 yrs old when we adoted her. That's really smart on your breeder's part : )

I think the moral of this thread is no matter what age the owner is or the dog, proper planning should be made. All things are not preventable obviously, but as an owner you're more prepared when you at least have a plan.
__________________
Isen Vom Kavallerie - DDR/Czech GSD (pup in training)
Red - Rescue GSD (CGC)
Gypsy - Yellow Lab (CGC)
At the Bridge....Charlie - GSD (2014) and Shiloh - Lab (2010)
d4lilbitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:31 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com