Do other people just see your GSD and walk the other way? MOVED - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do other people just see your GSD and walk the other way? MOVED

Does this happen to you frequently? Yesterday I took my boy Hunter on a walk and one this man asked me if i can walk the other way to not go near him. My dog was completely fine it wasn't like Hunter was barking at him or anything. And there was another time where a lady with her Boxer stopped until i past and asked " Is your dog friendly, I saw him starring at us from all the way over there" My pup is so friendly! I wish people weren't so scared of him
Hunter4628 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2014, 08:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yes. The funny thing is that when I see people coming towards us I walk Traveler off the path and when they are ~30 yards or so away, I put him in a down stay.

I had one guy cross the street when we were still a block away. When he got closer, I told him what I do so he doesn't have to worry if he sees us again. He told me I shouldn't be walking the dog at all. What???? "Don't you know they are vicious?" Yeah, Traveler, my therapy dog. Yeah, sure buddy.
Traveler's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler's Mom View Post
Yes. The funny thing is that when I see people coming towards us I walk Traveler off the path and when they are ~30 yards or so away, I put him in a down stay.

I had one guy cross the street when we were still a block away. When he got closer, I told him what I do so he doesn't have to worry if he sees us again. He told me I shouldn't be walking the dog at all. What???? "Don't you know they are vicious?" Yeah, Traveler, my therapy dog. Yeah, sure buddy.
Some people just don't realize how sweet GSD's can be!
Hunter4628 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 08:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Our pup is doing service dog work, so we will see people grab their children and walk away, or have the "I'm afraid of dogs" comment.. Like what am I suppose to do? Leave because your uncomfortable? Had a local restaurant say something about the dog before they were informed its against the law in my state to even ask what the dog is for. Now it's more of a habit to just ignore the rude and uneducated people. Focus on the big smiles and nice comments.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thewretched is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The people that are truly afraid of GSDs will spot them a mile away, and do what it takes to avoid them. One of my neighbors is like this - because he was bitten a thousand years ago, so now he hates them all, lol. Whatever. The people who actually say things are just crabby idiots, and it's a waste of breath to speak to them. The one thing that's fun to do is to learn a phrase in another language, so they'll stop talking to you.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Some people are just genuinely afraid of GSD or large dogs.

I was entering a path at a park- dogs are welcome if leashed. There was an elderly couple coming the opposite way. The man clearly afraid. Rusty was walking beside me nicely, a lot of slack in the leash. I decided to turn around & go another way. The wife thanked my from a distance & said her husband is terrified of a GSD.

I don't know- when in public I try to be courteous of others. Not everyone enjoys the company of dogs.

I'm afraid of small children & avoid them
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It may not always be your dog or the breed, there are dog reactive or human reactive even aggressive dogs out there whose owners have to be on guard at all times, or people are just nervous around strange dogs.

Personally I ignore when people give Delgado scared looks, most calm right down when they see how well behaved he is. If they're willing to move out of the way and give us a wide berth or move across the street it just means more sidewalk or aisle for us to walk on

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yes , all the time. I also have a large Mastiff and a large Boxer mix. I'm a small woman , people may worry I can't control them if they lunge.

A lot of people have been traumatized by irresponsible owners , many as children. I do not get upset if people are afraid , I try to be courteous and give them their space. If people are mean about wat I am walking , where , when etc I just laugh to myslef and shrug . What else can you do ? My hands are usually full , usually have kids with me too , I dont have the time or the desire to engage with them.

I had a lady once , she was from Poland maybe , and she was at the park with her little girls. My dog was on a leash well behaved at my side . We were sitting at a bench watching my 2 kids play on the park gear. She actually asked me if I would please put my dog in the car because she was bitten by a GSD as a child , was terrified , and did not want to let her girls play at the park unlessthe dog was safely "away" . She added the dog that attacked her was supposedly trained and jerked the lead out of the owners hand. I just replied that I was sorry that happened to her , but no I will not be removing my dog. Leashed dogs are allowed , if she has a phobia she will need to be the one to go somewhere else. She just stood there and asked why should she be the one to leave...told her because she was the one with an issue and could she please get out of my way as I cant see my 2 kids playing. Thanks. She left in a huff with her girls .

Oh well?? Aside from being firm yet polite there is not much you can do in these situations.
ALL MY RESCUES!
Oisin's Aoire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have never been asked to walk in a different direction with my GSD but I have seen people cross the street to avoid us or people create a bigger distance between us. I have heard people say "what is that" while looking at him. To those who have never heard of a black GSD or have seen one I often get the comment "is that a wolf" he is much larger and more intimidating in person.

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I used to walk Pyrate to the post office every morning. One of the clerks there is totally afraid of big dogs and Pyrate was tall and when in good health around 110 pounds. One of the other clerks who knows me asked her to meet Pyrate. Pyrate laid down and rolled over for her to pet his belly on the first meeting. She petted him then and again every time she saw him, eventually getting kisses as well. The post mistress told me if I was ever in line and it was taking a long time that Pyrate was welcome to come wait in her office because she missed her dog. The original lady who was afraid eventually told me she had been bitten as a child but when she met my dog she just knew by the way he was so gentle that it was safe. Now she will pet Raina as well. She told me she knows now that my dogs are always going to be gentle with her and it makes her feel safe petting them. I'm glad to be able to provide a good GSD example for her so she could get passed her fear. She retired this year and came around and said a special good bye to Raina because she said she would miss them most of all. Pyrate's been gone now for a couple years but I still miss him too. Some people sadly never get over the fear so it is best to just give them space. I will walk off the path and put my dog in a sit when I see someone coming on a bicycle or even walking. Most appreciate it.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.