Fama... the next chapter - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2014, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fama... the next chapter

So, my girl is getting retired and coming home to daddy.

Amy Bashaw found out that Fama was getting retired and posted on the forum to let me know. KatsMuse immediately sent me a PM letting me know and went into immediate action. She contacted the kennels at Ft. Bragg and got all the information necessary to adopt Fama. She forwarded everything to me and filled out the paperwork herself and submitted it. She also put me in touch with the Kennel Master, the Adoptions NCO, and Fama's handler.

The Kennels personnel has been nothing but helpful, professional, and diligent in facilitating the process. Fama's handler has been in contact with me as well as Kat concerning her health issues and general well being. He really cares for her and is very sad to see her go. There is another handler there at Bragg that was interested in adopting Fama, but the Kennel Master made it clear that she would be coming to me as I was her previous handler.

In steps Kat.

I have to say that I am incredibly thankful to have such a friend. She is going far out of her way to help get Fama back to me. She has offered to pick her up at Bragg and keep her until I get home. She is taking her to the vet for more thorough diagnosis on her hip/spine problems. She has purchased brand new everything for Fama, including a crate, bed, leashes, training collars, tugs, toys, everything. She is donating all this to us, including the cost of veterinary care.

At first, I was grateful that she would pick Fama up at the kennels and hold her for me until I got home. Then she started insisting that Fama needed new gear and everything, and that she would be paying for it. This made me a little uncomfortable as I am not one to ask for anything. She wore me down and made me understand that it is something she wants to do for us. I don't really get emotional about much, but this has been a really touching experience. Between getting my dog back, who I though had been adopted out from under me at one point, and the generosity shown by Kat, it's been a very emotional week.

I just wanted to thank Kat publicly. I think what she is doing for us is an incredible display of human nature, generosity, patriotism and kindness. To go to such lengths to reunite a humble soldier and his dog is such a grand gesture. It means the world to me and I will be forever in her debt. Fama is more than a dog to me. She saved my life. I wouldn't be here without her, and Kat has facilitated my ability to pay back my debt to my dog. Fama will live out her life doing what she wants, when she wants, with not a care in the world but having good food, good friends, and good times.

Thanks Kat. You're one in a million.

P.S. This will put a hold on the book release for those that are waiting. I will be posting chapters as I write them in the usual places. The (now) middle of the book is almost complete, so those chapters will be posted as well.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2014, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wonderful news! Kudo's to Kat!
Old 03-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Nice! Hats off to Kat and good to see Fama is retiring with her battle buddy
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 11:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

This is so heartwarming, I have tears in my eyes because it proves there are still genuinely good, selfless people out there. I'm so happy for you David and Kat you are a wonderful person!
Old 03-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear GSD View Post
This is so heartwarming, I have tears in my eyes because it proves there are still genuinely good, selfless people out there. I'm so happy for you David and Kat you are a wonderful person!
^^This!!!

David, Will it be long before you are able to get home and be reunited with Fama?
Springbrz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Kat, you are awesome. This is so incredible to watch unfold... David, I'm so thrilled for you and Fama. What a beautiful end to an incredible journey.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 11:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am so very happy for you and Fama, David. Just so very very happy.

Thank you Kat. What you have done has made the world a happier place for me.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

So awesome to read this first thing in the morning Hope to read stories on your first interaction since

Also, I my be a little behind.. ok I'm a little behind.. What's this book you speak of?

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Outstanding!!

Kat likes to operate behind the scenes. A absolute gem
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2014, 11:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

In the many years I have been on this forum, there has been a few amazing stories of people who have come together to help one another. THIS is the purpose of a community.

Happy to hear you two will be reunited... and thank you to Kat for doing this for a fellow GSD owner.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.