German Shepherds Forum banner

Fama... the next chapter

38K views 272 replies 82 participants last post by  David Winners 
#1 ·
So, my girl is getting retired and coming home to daddy.

Amy Bashaw found out that Fama was getting retired and posted on the forum to let me know. KatsMuse immediately sent me a PM letting me know and went into immediate action. She contacted the kennels at Ft. Bragg and got all the information necessary to adopt Fama. She forwarded everything to me and filled out the paperwork herself and submitted it. She also put me in touch with the Kennel Master, the Adoptions NCO, and Fama's handler.

The Kennels personnel has been nothing but helpful, professional, and diligent in facilitating the process. Fama's handler has been in contact with me as well as Kat concerning her health issues and general well being. He really cares for her and is very sad to see her go. There is another handler there at Bragg that was interested in adopting Fama, but the Kennel Master made it clear that she would be coming to me as I was her previous handler.

In steps Kat.

I have to say that I am incredibly thankful to have such a friend. She is going far out of her way to help get Fama back to me. She has offered to pick her up at Bragg and keep her until I get home. She is taking her to the vet for more thorough diagnosis on her hip/spine problems. She has purchased brand new everything for Fama, including a crate, bed, leashes, training collars, tugs, toys, everything. She is donating all this to us, including the cost of veterinary care.

At first, I was grateful that she would pick Fama up at the kennels and hold her for me until I got home. Then she started insisting that Fama needed new gear and everything, and that she would be paying for it. This made me a little uncomfortable as I am not one to ask for anything. She wore me down and made me understand that it is something she wants to do for us. I don't really get emotional about much, but this has been a really touching experience. Between getting my dog back, who I though had been adopted out from under me at one point, and the generosity shown by Kat, it's been a very emotional week.

I just wanted to thank Kat publicly. I think what she is doing for us is an incredible display of human nature, generosity, patriotism and kindness. To go to such lengths to reunite a humble soldier and his dog is such a grand gesture. It means the world to me and I will be forever in her debt. Fama is more than a dog to me. She saved my life. I wouldn't be here without her, and Kat has facilitated my ability to pay back my debt to my dog. Fama will live out her life doing what she wants, when she wants, with not a care in the world but having good food, good friends, and good times.

Thanks Kat. You're one in a million.

P.S. This will put a hold on the book release for those that are waiting. I will be posting chapters as I write them in the usual places. The (now) middle of the book is almost complete, so those chapters will be posted as well.

See less See more
#10 ·
In the many years I have been on this forum, there has been a few amazing stories of people who have come together to help one another. THIS is the purpose of a community.

Happy to hear you two will be reunited... and thank you to Kat for doing this for a fellow GSD owner.

#15 ·
That is an amazing story! Make sure you post a picture of her for us once she is home. ;)

#23 ·
So, my girl is getting retired and coming home to daddy.....
David, what a sweet message! ... And, darn it, you've made me cry again! :cry:

Yes, this has been a VERY emotional week, for all of us.
I want to thank YOU for allowing me to help. :)

I also wish to thank everyone else involved (especially at Bragg) who have been of enormous help and tolerated my daily flood of emails, phone calls & paperwork.

David, in my eyes, you are not 'just a soldier' and Fama is 'not just another working dog'... You are heroes!
Both of you have endured, suffered, and sacrificed SO MUCH in serving our country.
I appreciate and am grateful for all you BOTH have done.

The main thing is that Fama belongs with her daddy!!
I'm more than pleased that this going to happen! :happyboogie:

I'm sure there are many others here that will/would've done the same thing.
We have a wonderful community of great members on this forum!

:hugs: Kat

#24 ·
What a heartwarming story, it's so amazing. I can't wait to see reunion photos and of course purchase and read the book once it's completed ;) You two have a great story together and it's not finished yet :)

#26 ·
This is absolutely fantastic! Great work by KatsMuse for reuniting David and Fama! :thumbup:

#28 ·
Kat has been a really good friend to me and her big heart doing this, doesn't surprise me one bit!:)))) If I come back as a dog, I want to live with Kat and her husband:))

David I'm so glad you'll be reuinited with Fama,,OMG we HAVE to see pics of the reunion when it happens:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.